20 replies to this topic

Poopfac
    Poopfac

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Minecraft: Poopfac

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:55 AM

Hello, I've recently gotten Minecraft working again and some friends were wanted me to get my server back up.  I've got the updated server client and the server starts up just fine.  I can play for a short while until the error, java.net.SocketTimeOutException: Read timed out, pops up and I'm disconnected.  I'm using the external ip to log in because I prefer doing what everyone else has to.  Myself and the others who have tried getting on get this error either after running around for a while or when they're loading the chunks.  Any and all suggestions would be helpful.  I've tried search, which seems to be down right now, through google and most cases of this date back to summer of 2010 and most went unanswered.  If I missed an easy answer just point me in the right direction please.

Register or log in to remove.

dogmalol
    dogmalol

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:29 PM

I've got the same problem, except I can't get on the server in the first place.

It seems to be happening to people with Atheros cards (I don't have one, so its not only them).  There is a fix I came across recently, but I don't think its 100%.  I'll try to find it again and post it here.

Poopfac
    Poopfac

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:33 PM

Well I have an Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT, but maybe the fix will still apply.  Thanks for the reply, I hope you can find that post.  Also bumping for more potential fixes.

Poopfac
    Poopfac

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:47 AM

*Shameless Bump*

waakz
    waakz

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:58 AM

I have the exact same error and i cant find a fix :S

Poopfac
    Poopfac

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:18 AM

I just noticed something odd in my server textbox or whatever it might be called.  I left it up for a while and after I had long logged out it said this.  "[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?"  I'm unsure what this means, could whatever is causing that message be the root of my problem.  I also had problems with minecraft going black screen a while back and I was told it was because java would crash from using too much memory.  I didn't fix the problem, but just figured out how to play without it going too high or something, more so just got lucky.  Any suggestions or tips would be wonderful.

Poopfac
    Poopfac

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:32 AM

Nother Bump

Stigg
    Stigg

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:38 PM

Bumping this as well.  Having the same issue.

hAvAAck
    hAvAAck

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

That happens to me sometimes on my bukkit server, just restart your client and then try to reconnect.

do you ever get the black screen that just kills minecraft due to java SE platform stopping?

Stigg
    Stigg

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:44 PM

hAvAAck said:

That happens to me sometimes on my bukkit server, just restart your client and then try to reconnect.

do you ever get the black screen that just kills minecraft due to java SE platform stopping?

We've reinstalled both the server and the client.  We've restarted our computers.  This is the only issue we are seeing.

We've even installed the server on a new computer.

nye88
    nye88

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:44 PM

I feel as though this needs a bump, I'm getting the exact same error consistently and as yet haven't found a fix

What broadband supplier are you guys using and are you using wireless?
Skype-thebigslick1
Minecraft-nye88

Deemez
    Deemez

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:57 PM

You may be using the wrong codes for your run.bat!

Are you using Windows or Vista? 32 bit or 64 bit?

X_MayDay_X
  • Minecraft: epicken

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

SAME PROBLEM.
I have Windows 7 home basic, 64-bit, RealTek PCIe FE family controller.
Some one told me to put value from 256 to 512 IF I HAVE AN ATHEROS Adapter, but ranges may differ...:S
I have no clue what to do, When I log in, The server doesnt respond and I log out with the error.
- MayDay
or epicken

Gothicmonkey123

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:55 AM

I dont care if this post is a couple days old, i need the problem fixed, so i'll add to this instead of making a new topic

Ok so... on BOTH my computers, my laptop and desktop, i've been getting this error.

Only ever when i'm on a server that i've joined

i've NEVER had this problem until about 12 hours ago, and it was minor... it's just gotten worse and i've spent all night and morning tying to fix the problem.

What have i done? deleted all my minecraft folders and started fresh. Did nothing
Defragged and used CCleaner on both computers. Nothing
Changed priority for java. Nothing
Went into java and set the mb towards minecraft to 2000M.  Nothing....
Restarted minecraft once again. Nothing

The server had to restart. Nothing
If i give minecraft a break, the crashing doesn't happen for a while, if i don't go out the square i have.
And the render distance is completely screwed, i can't see that far off in the distance, even though my render is at far. The chunks just aren't loading.

So i decided to change minecraft options to lowest possible settings.... Nothing..

I've updated my computers to the max i can do it, including java. Nothing
Restarted minecraft once again after i updated java. Nothing

Lastly, in a blind attempt i installed RAMdisk with a tutorial. Minecraft runs faster, but still have the problem.

All these tries i did without running anything else in the background!

Something else to note

I'm on a wireless connection
But before you jump to conclusions.. My brother on a different computer who goes on the same server had this problem and it fixed when he re installed minecraft and now his is fine...

So now my specs...
I'll give both computers as both are having the same issue, and i've done the same to both

Laptop

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7  @ 2.00GHz 62 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 1657 (CPU1) 64 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Radeon ™ HD 6770M (HP) 59 °C
Hard Drives
733GB TOSHIBA TOSHIBA MK7559GSXP (SATA)
262MB NULL (NULL)
Optical Drives
hp DVD A  DS8A5LH
Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Desktop

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 750  @ 2.67GHz 65 °C
Lynnfield 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 660MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
MSI IONA (CPU 1) 57 °C
Graphics
2436 (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce GT 220 (MSI) 62 °C
Hard Drives
488GB Seagate ST3500418AS (RAID) 40 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH10L
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Any more info, just ask and i shall provide...

please... i want this to work -_-

Gothicmonkey123

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

bumping -_-

Is it possible that this could be my internet provider? My brothers now encountering the problem again. and no one else on the server is. It seems like it may be possible as we're in Australia and no one else is on that server (well in australia and on the same service provider). Is this a possibility? I doubt it but it's still... a chance

and don't anyone say it's because minecraft.net is down.. this started before it went down

Gothicmonkey123

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

Last bump for the night :/

Gothicmonkey123

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:01 AM

Bumpp

Rinalt
    Rinalt

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostPoopfac, on 26 April 2011 - 02:18 AM, said:

I just noticed something odd in my server textbox or whatever it might be called.  I left it up for a while and after I had long logged out it said this.  "[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?"  I'm unsure what this means, could whatever is causing that message be the root of my problem.  I also had problems with minecraft going black screen a while back and I was told it was because java would crash from using too much memory.  I didn't fix the problem, but just figured out how to play without it going too high or something, more so just got lucky.  Any suggestions or tips would be wonderful.

The warning on your server happens when there isn't enough RAM allocated to the server. By default it only uses 100mb of RAM. If there are enough clients or if the map reaches a certain size then it will easily reach the 100mb capacity. There are ways to increase the RAM for your server depending on your OS. Here is a link to the wiki that tells you How to increase the RAM allocated to your server. Make sure to read everything, you don't want to miss a step. It also helps to understand how the commands work so you can have more control over your server. Hopefully this works for you because my friend, who is also running a server, is having the same problem. If this works then it will be good news for us too.

Evilkidrules
  • Minecraft: xarfar

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:34 AM

I have this error, and I hate it, I do have an idea of why it happens, but not a fix. It happens because Minecraft and the server are taking too long to communicate. You could try some of these ideas, although i haven't tried them just yet myself:

• Get a better internet connection.
  • Don't use the computer that has the server running.
  • Dedicate your computer to the server?
Thats all I know...

Btw, What does "bump" mean?!?!? (Lol i'm such a noob)

Posted Image

yogkastfan

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

View PostPoopfac, on 23 April 2011 - 12:55 AM, said:

Hello, I've recently gotten Minecraft working again and some friends were wanted me to get my server back up.  I've got the updated server client and the server starts up just fine.  I can play for a short while until the error, java.net.SocketTimeOutException: Read timed out, pops up and I'm disconnected.  I'm using the external ip to log in because I prefer doing what everyone else has to.  Myself and the others who have tried getting on get this error either after running around for a while or when they're loading the chunks.  Any and all suggestions would be helpful.  I've tried search, which seems to be down right now, through google and most cases of this date back to summer of 2010 and most went unanswered.  If I missed an easy answer just point me in the right direction please.