Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Character Names


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1

AnomieDog
  • Minecraft: AnomieDog

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:56 PM

First off, this is not another Username Topic

That being said,

A lot of people are upset their names in MP are their actual usernames, and because of this there have been countless "Change Username" topics

Changing your username will probably never happen (Except in the most extreme cases), So I think there should instead be an option to have a "Character Name"

Similar to the way your Username is displayed now, your Character Name would appear more predominantly above your username. So, for example, mine would appear as such:

Manly Manlyguy
USER:AnomieDog

Having this option you could have an actual character name that would be the first thing other users will notice, and prevent greifers from avoiding a ban simply by changing their Username.

This would also allow people to have the duplicate "Character Names"
So if you wanted the name "Indiana Jones", you won't be disappointed because 1 other person already took that name. (I don't think duplicate Character Names are a problem, as overused popular names would likely fade out quickly, and unique Character Names would increase)

I apologize if this has already been suggested, I tried search, and could not find a topic similar to this.
Please, let me know what you think the pros/cons would be.

Here's the Banner:
Posted Image

Copy This:

Quote

[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=301092][img]http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g454/AnomieDog/59e137a7.jpg[/img][/url]


Register or log in to remove.

#2

DTroll
    DTroll

    Coal Miner

  • Members
  • 126 posts
  • Location: Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

I support this, although my username kicks ass.

Here's a diamond for you, my friend.  

...all you gotta do is mine it.     :Diamond:  :D  :Diamond:
............................................:Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:

Posted Image


#3

AnomieDog
  • Minecraft: AnomieDog

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:13 PM

I originally came up with and discussed this topic while giving my cons for changing usernames under this topic:
http://www.minecraft...hp?f=1&t=300805


DTroll said:

I support this, although my username kicks ass.

Here's a diamond for you, my friend.  

...all you gotta do is mine it.     :)  :Diamond:  :Lava:
............................................:Lava:  :Lava:  :Lava:

lol....
After much beating with my fists, suddenly there was :Diamond:

#4

Korthos
    Korthos

    Void Walker

  • Members
  • 1551 posts
  • Minecraft: korthos

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:55 PM

AnomieDog said:

I originally came up with and discussed this topic while giving my cons for changing usernames under this topic:
http://www.minecraft...hp?f=1&t=300805


DTroll said:

I support this, although my username kicks ass.

Here's a diamond for you, my friend.  

...all you gotta do is mine it.     :Lava:  :DORE:  :Lava:
............................................:Lava:  :Lava:  :Lava:

lol....
After much beating with my fists, suddenly there was :Diamond:

FAIL! You need iron pickaxe or higher to mine diamond ore! Trololol!
Medieval builder and texture artists. Also totally awesome.

#5

MikeChaos14

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:09 AM

Korthos said:

AnomieDog said:

I originally came up with and discussed this topic while giving my cons for changing usernames under this topic:
http://www.minecraft...hp?f=1&t=300805


DTroll said:

I support this, although my username kicks ass.

Here's a diamond for you, my friend.  

...all you gotta do is mine it.     :Lava:  :DORE:  :Lava:
............................................:Lava:  :Lava:  :Lava:

lol....
After much beating with my fists, suddenly there was :Diamond:

FAIL! You need iron pickaxe or higher to mine diamond ore! Trololol!
Says a Tree Puncher. Trololol indeed.
I created my avatar. If you want one, let me know.

Posted Image


#6

AnomieDog
  • Minecraft: AnomieDog

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

MikeChaos14 said:

Korthos said:



FAIL! You need iron pickaxe or higher to mine diamond ore! Trololol!
Says a Tree Puncher. Trololol indeed.


Damn, walked right into that one. I think I just lost an internets...

#7

Nath99
    Nath99

    Void Walker

  • Members
  • 1744 posts
  • Location: Canada
  • Minecraft: Nath99

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:48 PM

You didn't search did you, I have the almost exact same concept on name changing,


Nath99 said:

There is a server plugin, that changes your chat name, now I was gonna agree with this, but only if

It Changes your IGN not your actual account username (AAU), so you would be whitelisted depending on your actual account username, but you would be able to change your IGN

Toogle-able, so some servers have the option to turn it on/off (true= name will be IGN, false= name will be AAU)

To Fix The Griefing Problem, Make a "Profile" for each player playing on that server, so when you type in for example /player info [AAU] or /player info [IGN] it would show their IGN and their AAU (So you could ban them)

People would have commands/permissions/bans, from their AAU not their IGN, to avoid complication

The problems I see though are,

- Immature kids making/using immature usernames

- More Griefing Potential (Harder to Remember Their Names and Ban them), but I think this could be fixed, if it would only be change-able from your profile page of Minecraft and if you would have to log out of your current session, for it to activate

I could even go towards the lenght that you could have different IGN for different Servers
(Cause some people RolePlay, but there is already a plugin for that sorta)

Wolfs and Other Tamables are Attached To Your AAU, Not your IGN

These guys make awesome art for Mods (Items, New Blocks and Mobs)
Posted Image
I will be using them soon

I'm Starting to be known as a Balancer, A.K.A. I'm starting to become pessimist