Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

To Mod Creators: Copyrights


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
85 replies to this topic

#21

msmit71
    msmit71

    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 1824 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:21 AM

Gkardos said:

I'm just wondering, how does all this legal stuff go into play with the fact that this modifies a game made by other developers. If they make and own the property you modify, wouldn't they be able to claim that anything that modifies their game, is their property? Then it would be their decision whether or not people could distribute other peoples' mods. Does this make sense at all?



Minecraft.net said:

Any tools you write for the game from scratch belong to you. Plugins for the game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, including selling them for money.

Mods are considered plugins, and thus mod creators own them.


Quote

In computing, a plug-in (or plugin) is a set of software components (mods) that adds specific abilities to a larger software application (Minecraft) .


Register or log in to remove.

#22

scokeev9
    scokeev9

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2678 posts
  • Minecraft: coaxke90

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:22 AM

Thanks! Found mine on GameKillers. Darn thieves!
Posted Image

#23

Gkardos
    Gkardos

    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • Curse Premium
  • 2012 posts
  • Location: Back in California, USA
  • Minecraft: Gkardos

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:29 AM

msmit71 said:

Gkardos said:

I'm just wondering, how does all this legal stuff go into play with the fact that this modifies a game made by other developers. If they make and own the property you modify, wouldn't they be able to claim that anything that modifies their game, is their property? Then it would be their decision whether or not people could distribute other peoples' mods. Does this make sense at all?



Minecraft.net said:

Any tools you write for the game from scratch belong to you. Plugins for the game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, including selling them for money.

Mods are considered plugins, and thus mod creators own them.


Quote

In computing, a plug-in (or plugin) is a set of software components (mods) that adds specific abilities to a larger software application (Minecraft) .
I must admit, I haven't read those rules since I bought minecraft, that solves that.
Posted Image
Sig made by llama66613
Follow me on twitter
Spoiler:

#24

icecube49
    icecube49

    Mathematical Dessert

  • Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:23 AM

Thanks. I'll be sure to put this in my mod thread when I release it, to avoid Gamekillers.net (or whatever those scumbags are called) from ripping it off.

Thanks!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#25

koosemose

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:50 AM

One thing that I would like to point out, that mod creators should consider, is what happens should they, for whatever reason, abandon their mods.

I of course understand wanting to protect your work, but sometimes things happen, and when it's an intentional abandonment, you can change the license or whatever to allow someone to take over. But sometimes the unexpected happens for example the original creator of controllerblocks disappeared without a word, and JStar eventually took over this well loved mod. Under a restrictive license wouldn't be allowed. Perhaps it should be considered to add a clause to allow a takeover after so long with no update and no word from the creator, perhaps 2 significant minecraft updates (1.3 > 1.4 > 1.5) or 1 signifcant update and 1 week. Of course with proper credit to the original modder.

I of course appreciate the work of all the modders and want them to receive any credit and revenue they can. But I also enjoy many mods and would like to be able to continue using them even if they're abandoned by the original creators.

#26

BlueSteelAU
  • Location: Nanango,Qld,Australia
  • Minecraft: BlueSteelAU

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:00 AM

I don't think that you can use ANY of these copyrights on any mods that alter any of the minecraft class files, as you are doing what most of these copyrights are stating that they can't do, alster your code to release their own even for their own use never mind distribution. besause you yare in effect breaking mojang's copyrite on their code to make your mod if it alters any of their class files. trhat is until they officially support modding, and it would then again depend on their copyright.

however if your writing all your own classes (eg: ones that are say done the way of using modloader to do the hooks etc.. then you can in my opinion inforce the mods.. but as soon as it includes just one portion of minecrafts classes then you can't)

Be very carefull what your trying to enforce because it can come back and bite you on the bum

#27

0positivo

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:40 AM

Please, also include a Creative Commons one.

Because I really hope that someone will pick that up. And thus that the creative industry is not doomed yet

#28

johndoe138

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:18 AM

Err.. this is probably irrelevant.  Unless your legal team is just getting really bored, it wouldn't be productive to sue someone for copyright infringement on a mod.  There is no lost profit on your part, and statutory damages - if any - are likely to be inconsequential for a freely distributed game mod.  Likely less than your legal fees.

The only real issues you should probably concern yourself with are: 1) Making sure any other modders who 'borrow' some of your code give you credit for it, and 2) Making sure no one else is posting e.g. AdFly type links to your mod on the official forums, or major mod sites like McModCenter.

The vast majority of people will be looking for mods on the official/major websites, and not on some obscure, sketchy looking webpage.  Fortunately, you won't even need to worry much since people here on the official forums aren't very friendly to those who try to steal others' work.  If people are pirating your mods on their own rogue Minecraft websites.. well, they're probably Nigerians who've registered everything under fake names anyway, so there's not much you can do.  If the music and movie industries can't stop that sort of thing, you won't have much luck either.

#29

Biohazard

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:24 AM

I request a Sticky!
Edit: Oh wait, its already stickied.
This mod is better than RedPower 2:
Posted Image

#30

Aero96
    Aero96

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 432 posts
  • Location: Bocholt, Germany
  • Minecraft: Aero96

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:39 PM

BlueSteelAU said:

I don't think that you can use ANY of these copyrights on any mods that alter any of the minecraft class files, as you are doing what most of these copyrights are stating that they can't do, alster your code to release their own even for their own use never mind distribution. besause you yare in effect breaking mojang's copyrite on their code to make your mod if it alters any of their class files. trhat is until they officially support modding, and it would then again depend on their copyright.

however if your writing all your own classes (eg: ones that are say done the way of using modloader to do the hooks etc.. then you can in my opinion inforce the mods.. but as soon as it includes just one portion of minecrafts classes then you can't)

Be very carefull what your trying to enforce because it can come back and bite you on the bum

Let´s make an example:
My mod has 3 .class files and one .class file of the original minecraft modded. I couild license these 3 class files and not the modded one and would not break any copyright of mojang. Since they allow to modify minecraft as long as you don´t flag their classes as your intellectual property. Or do I misunderstand anything?

If the above assumption is right, I could simply add a method or something similar to the minecraft .class file, and then mod it external. That should be allowed then. And I could mark this method of the external class as my intellectual property.

#31

msmit71
    msmit71

    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 1824 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

BlueSteelAU said:

I don't think that you can use ANY of these copyrights on any mods that alter any of the minecraft class files, as you are doing what most of these copyrights are stating that they can't do, alster your code to release their own even for their own use never mind distribution. besause you yare in effect breaking mojang's copyrite on their code to make your mod if it alters any of their class files. trhat is until they officially support modding, and it would then again depend on their copyright.

however if your writing all your own classes (eg: ones that are say done the way of using modloader to do the hooks etc.. then you can in my opinion inforce the mods.. but as soon as it includes just one portion of minecrafts classes then you can't)

Be very carefull what your trying to enforce because it can come back and bite you on the bum

Minecraft.net said:

Any tools you write for the game from scratch belong to you. Plugins for the game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, including selling them for money.

Mods are considered plugins, and thus mod creators own them.


Quote

In computing, a plug-in (or plugin) is a set of software components (Minecraft mods) that adds specific abilities to a larger software application (Minecraft) .


#32

Aero96
    Aero96

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 432 posts
  • Location: Bocholt, Germany
  • Minecraft: Aero96

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

I wrote a license for my upcoming mod "Magic Chest".
It is a quite strict license, but also open source.

You may...
- use it =D.
- copy the .class files for private purposes.
- read the source code.
- decompile the mod for private purposes.

You may not...
- Redistribute (Publish, Share etc,) without my permission
- copy the source code without my permission
- extend the mod without my permission

The disclaimer (last, capital written paragraph) is taken from the 3-clause BSD license.

Have fun reading !

Magic Chest Minecraft Mod ( "the software" )
Copyright (c) 2011, Marco "Aero96" Pennekamp ( "the copyright holders" )
All rights reserved.

Contact:
	Web: 					http://accord-games.de/
	E-Mail: 				[email protected]
	Twitter: 				@marcopennekamp
	Minecraftforum.net:		Aero96
	Minecraft.net:			Aero96
	


Note:
	Due to the copyright notation of Mojang AB, the copyright holders of minecraft, any modification is the intellectual property of the authors of the modification, as 
	long as you don´t mark original modified or non modified minecraft files as your own.
		See also: http://minecraft.net/copyright.jsp 


Terms: 
	"Decompilation" means the translation of binary forms of the software into source forms of the software with or without the help of programs (including, but not limited to, decompilers).
	
	
1. The use of the software in binary forms without any modification is permitted.
1.1 Copying the software in binary forms without any modification for private purposes is permitted. Do not publish without a written permission of the copyright holders.
2. Redistribution of the software in source or binary forms, with or without modification, is only permitted with a written permission by the copyright holders.
3. Modification of the software in source or binary forms is only permitted with a written permission by the copyright holders.
4. Reading the source code of the software is only permitted with a written permission by the copyright holders or a special permission.
4.1 A special permission is automatically achieved, when the usage of the source code of the software is only for private, non commercial, reference purposes. (Including, but not limited to, learning, inspiration)
4.2 Copying the source code of the software is only permitted with a written permission by the copyright holders. 
5. Decompilation of the binary files of the software is only permitted with a written permission by the copyright holders or a special permission.
5.1 A special permission is automatically achieved, when the usage of the decompiled source code is only for private, non commercial, reference purposes. (Including, but not limited to, learning, inspiration)


THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND
ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
(INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.


#33

Disori
    Disori

    Iron Miner

  • Members
  • 296 posts
  • Location: Under Your Bed
  • Minecraft: ertyuiop99

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

Great, I'll add it when I get back home.
Check out my mods, some might be actually good!

HERE


#34

TheGag96
    TheGag96

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • Minecraft: TheGag96

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:19 AM

When I make my mod, I'm just going to use the GPL. I like open source stuff  :) I'm surprised you guys haven't included this.

#35

mandog15

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:33 AM

Copyright notice (year)

This mod/texturepack belong's to (your real name) a.k.a (your minecraft username) ,
If used by [b]ANYONE[/b] without the owner's permission , it goes against the mojang copyright system on
www.minecraft.net/copyright.jsp , If you still fail to agree with a copyright term's you are against the law and therefore a total worthless piece of mung.

Thanks for understanding.
(Your real name and lastname or your minecraft username
That's what I use for mine yours is good though.
I hate you

#36

mandog15

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:35 AM

TheGag96 said:

When I make my mod, I'm just going to use the GPL. I like open source stuff  :iapprove: I'm surprised you guys haven't included this.
GPL is hard
I hate you

#37

Shichifukujin

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:01 AM

Shouldn't this go in modding discussion? this isn't exactly a released mod..

Either way.. I hope they change the rules regarding mods once an official API is released.  Last thing I want to see in regards to mods is people selling them.  I mean, I would just pirate it..but I still find it irksome.

#38

Aero96
    Aero96

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 432 posts
  • Location: Bocholt, Germany
  • Minecraft: Aero96

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:28 PM

Shichifukujin said:

Shouldn't this go in modding discussion? this isn't exactly a released mod..

Either way.. I hope they change the rules regarding mods once an official API is released.  Last thing I want to see in regards to mods is people selling them.  I mean, I would just pirate it..but I still find it irksome.

It depends on the mod. I think that a good mod with a bunch new items, new game mechanics and so on can be selled for, let´s say, 2-3€. I mean it is a lot of work to do and every modder should be able to decide on his own, whether his mod should be free or not.

We, I´m speaking of us, the modders, have also a real life (or almost =D ) and we are investing our time to give you the possibility to change minecraft into something new. Respect that.

#39

mandog15

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

Aero96 said:

Shichifukujin said:

Shouldn't this go in modding discussion? this isn't exactly a released mod..

Either way.. I hope they change the rules regarding mods once an official API is released.  Last thing I want to see in regards to mods is people selling them.  I mean, I would just pirate it..but I still find it irksome.

It depends on the mod. I think that a good mod with a bunch new items, new game mechanics and so on can be selled for, let´s say, 2-3€. I mean it is a lot of work to do and every modder should be able to decide on his own, whether his mod should be free or not.

We, I´m speaking of us, the modders, have also a real life (or almost =D ) and we are investing our time to give you the possibility to change minecraft into something new. Respect that.
Why not an OPTIONAL donate button?, I would never pay for a mod for some reason maybe because the mod's that steal your info hmpf maybe...
I hate you

#40

Aero96
    Aero96

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 432 posts
  • Location: Bocholt, Germany
  • Minecraft: Aero96

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

mandog15 said:

Why not an OPTIONAL donate button?, I would never pay for a mod for some reason maybe because the mod's that steal your info hmpf maybe...

I would also not pay for a mod, but the right to sell our work should be permitted anyway.
And yes, I prefer an optional donate button or adfly.