• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How can I edit Minecraft Textures (Alpha) ?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

ChrisDRob

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

So I wanna have clear glass textures but i don't wanna bother looking for the mod for it, I just wanna do it my self, so where can I find the texture's files and what file format are they in.

:Pig:

Register or log in to remove.

Brandov
    Brandov

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Minecraft: Brandov

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:30 AM

Go to the start menu, and where the search bar is type "%appdata%". It should take you to the "roaming" folder. From there you should find a folder called ".minecraft". In that folder, go to "bin". Then, open Minecraft.jar with winrar. Find the file named terrain.png, and then edit that with photoshop or gimp (or any program that can maintain the transparency) and save it.

This is how I would do it, anyway. I run Windows 7. If you plan on doing this multiple times, I suggest making a shortcut to the folder and placing it on your desktop or something. It does revert back to the original texture pack whenever Minecraft updates. Hope this helps :)
Brandcraft Texture Pack! http://www.minecraft...hp?f=25&t=29977
Vivianvideo.com is my website, check it out! ^^ Playing since alpha version 1.0.3!

ChrisDRob

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:15 PM

I edited the terrain.png file using photoshop and removed the lines on the glass texture square and saved it as a .png but it hasn't changed in game theres still lines on the glass   :cobblestone:

RileyVace

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:43 PM

You have to open minecraft.jar in Winrar

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin

Then, drag your edited terrain.png into it, click Ok and then reload Minecraft.

It should have worked after that.

I made PokeCraft!!
Give it a look!

ChrisDRob

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

Okay i'm stilling having a problem.

I open winrar and go to "AppData/Roaming/.minecraft/bin" and open minecraft.jar, I dont understand how I can edit the terrain.png in photoshop or gimp and put it back into minecraft.jar?. how?

ChrisDRob

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

I'm trying to find out how to put the edited 'terrain.png' back into the 'minecraft.jar'.

Help me out please.  :)

Brandov
    Brandov

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Minecraft: Brandov

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

You'll have to save it somewhere else when you edit it, then drag the edited one into the Winrar window of minecraft.jar you have open.
Brandcraft Texture Pack! http://www.minecraft...hp?f=25&t=29977
Vivianvideo.com is my website, check it out! ^^ Playing since alpha version 1.0.3!

Racer_X1395

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:27 AM

ChrisDRob said:

I'm trying to find out how to put the edited 'terrain.png' back into the 'minecraft.jar'.

Help me out please.  ::

If you're using winrar then once you've edited what you want, click the add button. It will insert the file within the .jar file without decompressing it and replace the one inside. Hope that helps.

Bustedrose

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

Okay its my first time editing the textures, so I'm no adept.

After editing and loading the file back into the minecraft.jar and running the game, I get these black boxes around random items, including the only one I edited.

I used paint because I have nothing else at the moment.

Any fixes?

zindikasheen

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

Paint doesn't maintain transparency, so the black boxes are the transparent areas that paint automatically filled in for ya.  You have to use gimp or photoshop (or similar program) because they keep the transparency.

GIMP is free, google it and download.  Hope this helps ya.

Hoodwink
    Hoodwink

Nether Resident

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2034 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:08 PM

Bustedrose said:

Okay its my first time editing the textures, so I'm no adept.

After editing and loading the file back into the minecraft.jar and running the game, I get these black boxes around random items, including the only one I edited.

I used paint because I have nothing else at the moment.

Any fixes?
Yes, repeat the process and DON'T use Paint because it's useless.  As mentioned, there's GIMP, or Paint.net which is also free.
SsssssssssssssssssssssssssSURPRISE!  "What the FUUUU..."  BOOM

Cue song: "Don't Fear The Creeper...."

0Figment0
  • Minecraft: 0Figment0

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

Since I'm bored and waiting on my own post response somewhere else, and I like writing simple step by steps, I figured I'd elaborate:

1. Download And Install Winrar from http://rarsoft.com/
2. Open Appdata Folder:Click START, and in the RUN box (Search Files and Folders for Vista and 7) type %AppData% (Or you can open Windows Explorer and type in C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin)
3. Double click on .minecraft
4. Double click on BIN
5. Right click on Minecraft.jar and choose OPEN WITH
6. Choose WinRar
7. Find the terrain.png file.
8. Drag it from Winrar to your Desktop (Or a folder you'll remember)
9. Open it in GIMP or Photoshop. DO NOT use Paint.
10. Edit to your hearts content.
11. If you don't still have the minecraft.jar file open in WinRar, repeat steps 1 - 6
12. Drag your edited terrain.png file FROM your desktop (Or the folder you'll remember) INTO WinRar
13. Close Winrar. :)
14. Enjoy your new textures
Posted Image

Humpsta
    Humpsta

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:24 AM

I had the same problem, I edited a texture in photoshop, and when I went back into minecraft there were white boxes around objects I didn't even edit. How can I stop this from happening?

Tanath
    Tanath

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

Why is everyone recommending Winrar? It's not free and the popup reminder is annoying, and not everyone knows how to safely find cracks. :SSSS:

7-zip is a better free archive app:
http://www.7-zip.org/

Snoops158

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

WHATS WITH ALL THE NECROMANCERS POSTING IN THIS THREAD? THIS WAS BACK WHEN ALPHA WAS UP AND ITS STILL ONLY A PAGE LONG!

Tanath
    Tanath

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:07 AM

Who cares? It's still a thread with some useful info, which turns up in Google search results.

TheMcFearsomes

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:52 AM

View PostTanath, on 13 April 2011 - 05:07 AM, said:

Who cares? It's still a thread with some useful info, which turns up in Google search results.
    Exactly! helped me out, thx for the tip about GIMP save me hours of playing in paint for nothing.
    Side note: In minecraft.jar under different directories can be found all PNG files for the game Ex. Terrain folder holds sun.png & moon.png

TreeTopFarmer
  • Minecraft: Valle83

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:52 AM

View PostTanath, on 13 April 2011 - 05:07 AM, said:

still applies.