• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Update 1.5: Lightning and Homes?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Builder Epsilon

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:47 PM

if lightning hits when it's raining, the fire gets put out before it can do any damage (I tried when i got a rainfall on my SSP game, can't even deliberately burn wood in the rain)

that said, the only construct I have in any world in any danger would be my farm on valley life..everything else is carved out of solid rock or built with stone anyway.
as always, my twisted take on reality.

Register or log in to remove.

dr_random

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:24 PM

Ahaa!
All you wood-loving guys, what you need is an insurance! Yes, to cover up all your expenses and all the hard work you put into all this. Never mind even the racket-guys! For a small premium that can be included, too.
What say? Next item should be "insurance policy". I will sell them to you, once implemented.

andrew52525

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:27 PM

wereally dont need lightning rods. what we would need is for lightning to strike the highest place thats close. then, we could use iron blocks and redstone  instead of a craftable thing.
Clicky clicky!
http://worldslongestwebsite.com/

Awesome ideas (not mine):

The Aether
Oceancraft
Geocraft
Farmcraft

Google these to find out what they are!

Zorg
    Zorg

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

Yesterday a lighting fell 10 m. in front of me, it hit my glass ceiling and nothing happened :)

Randomlyweir
  • Minecraft: Randomlyweir

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

Today, a fkin lightning destroyed mai treehouse (no asking).
Yesterday, i was 5 times rebuilding that s***, i think that my luck is increasing.
Where I torn the World apart,
Come to see my DeviantArt

zaphod
    zaphod

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

I wonder about netherrack, since rain won't put it out. Will a lightning strike ignite it? After the storm if it was still burning it would spread to an adjacent flammable block. So if you, for whatever crazy reason, used netherrack for decorative purposes on the exterior of a structure that would make it a fire hazard. If indeed lightning lit it, that is. Personally, I say too bad, the game could use such a thing that would keep you on your toes.

To state the obvious, its a good thing rain immediately puts out all fires otherwise after a while there'd be hardly any trees left in the areas where the player spends the most time. But it would be kind of fun if lightning could do something dangerous, aside from spawning pigmen of course.

lesley156

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:52 PM

its a bad thing a deleted my 2 saves because now i play with a little treehouse and i don't think rain can put out fire before it destroy the leaves of a tree

offtopic:also for the persons that want to now why i deleted my saves is because in the first one i kild my self with my own cobblestone generator and with my second one i was locked inside my mine because i used the torch ladder technique :Pig:

Gordan_Creeper

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:53 PM

Lava should burn things because of the intense heat surrounding it. :L

Steeb
    Steeb

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:14 PM

Bondo said:

Well, for lighting to hit the underside of a tree, the lightning would actually have to curve, and it doesn't do that.

I respectfully disagree. Check out this video at 1:30 for a tree being burnt from underneath by lightning, .  The narrator is using a mod that increases the frequency of lightning to demonstrate. But the point is, on a long enough timespan, you can expect lightning to burn down trees and wooden structures with overhangs.

Dasang
    Dasang

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:24 PM

lighting just burned down half my server - in full rain - trees wool etc, all burned easily in the rain...

maunokki

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

There was a picture where lightning struck while it was raining snow, and as far as I know snow does not put fires out. So.. It can happen and burn down everything you have ;D And when you think you have lost all, a powered creeper sneaks up on you and blows away the small bit of hope you still had left >:3
Posted Image

Sgt. Frosty
    Sgt. Frosty

The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything...

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:50 PM

Whether it has the potential to burn down my house or not, lightning is just one more reason why you should always make back-ups of your worlds on a daily basis ;P

Posted Image

Pomokuri
    Pomokuri

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:55 PM

I didn't know that lightning could burn down houses, good thing i don't build out of wood.

But can it set wool on fire ?

Araxmas
    Araxmas

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:20 PM

Just had two entire forest biomes burn to the ground in the rain. After that a lightning strike hit the roof of one of my buildings and fire spread along it in the rain too.
I don't think rain puts out fire too reliably.
Man in boat fashioning canoe out of log?

SimbaRocks
  • Minecraft: SimbaRocks

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

Se7en360 said:

Good to know, I've had enough problems with fire since I started playing. One my first day I set the whole world on fire in apocolyptic proportions while experimenting with Flint and Tinder, Smokey was not amused.
Gonna be Sig'd :iapprove:

Darvince said:

Creepers are a kind of rock now? wtf

Corbiere

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:34 PM

Lightning CAN burn down buildings in the rain, but only under certain conditions:
+
- Overhangs. If you have a house made of, say, wood and glass and you built the wall like this where  :Teal:  = glass

:wood: :wood:
:Teal:
:Teal:
:wood: :wood:

then, as I experienced earlier today, lightning can hit the ground just beside the wood (marked  :D) and set it on fire. The resulting fire will create a sheltered and burning block which will then burn down anything flammable from the base upwards.

- Trees. Lightning has a habit of setting trees on fire. I blame  :SSSS:.

- Netherack. Lightning does set fire to netherack, and it won't go out. Anything nearby is toast.

There. Don't build near trees, netherack (overworld obviously, no lightning in nether) or build houses with indents etc.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

toastt
    toastt

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Minecraft: toastt

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:38 PM

It is completely possible, i increased the lightning frequency and soon enough all the trees and my wood house were on fire.

cats715
    cats715

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 364 posts
  • Minecraft: cats715

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

my house burned down on its own and there was no storm. lol.
hello

Forever A Troll

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:12 PM

plastik2k10 said:

The question is, does lightning make actual fire, or just the 'visual' fire like when mobs react to daylight. Real fire would mean that technically we could see homes and trees burnt down by lightning, if the rain fails to extinguish it. Visual only fire would be harmless. I'm still fearing for my forests and house until definitive confirmation is available.
It's actual fire, not just a visual effect.
Posted Image
"He's the hero Minecraft Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A SilverMatt."

Hazali
    Hazali

Geomancer

• Retired Staff
  • 5713 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

Steeb said:

Bondo said:

Well, for lighting to hit the underside of a tree, the lightning would actually have to curve, and it doesn't do that.

I respectfully disagree. Check out this video at 1:30 for a tree being burnt from underneath by lightning, .  The narrator is using a mod that increases the frequency of lightning to demonstrate. But the point is, on a long enough timespan, you can expect lightning to burn down trees and wooden structures with overhangs.

What happened there is that the lightning hit a smaller tree and the fire spread to the bigger tree's lower blocks before it was put out. Notice how the top blocks of that tree didn't get set on fire (but vanished anyway presumably due to the trunk blocks getting burned).

Posted Image