• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Teeth Of Time - Ruin your world (v1.0AWK Graywing)

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

Commander Keen

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:38 PM

Teeth of Time - ruin your world

version 1.0 (Graywing full release)

CHANGELIST

v1.0AWK Graywing USER PATCH - 7/11/2011
* Two crashbugs fixed by Minecraft forum user Awkisopen

v1.0 Graywing FULL RELEASE - 8/27/2011
* Added ability to select wich chunks are to be aged
* Added a WinForms GUI frontend
* Added perlin filter (nonuniform destruction, more detail)
* Numerous bugs and crashes fixed
* Substrate updated 0.7.0

v0.3 Brawler BETA - 6/18/2011
* Smoothstone erosion is now supported
* Nature takes over creations
* Added config selection (multiple configs included)
* No more floating ladders, signs, etc.
* Fluids are now properly updated
* Speed optimalizations
* Fixed loads of bugs
* Added readme file

v0.2 Alca RELEASE - 6/4/2011
* All variables are now exposed to config.cfg file
* Fixed chests, furnaces, etc. losing their contents
* Couple of minor bugfixes
* Substrate updated to 0.5.2, should work with Minecraft 1.6.6

v0.1 Astral RELEASE - 4/18/2011
* Initial release

---------------

Ever wanted to build an ancient looking castle, but then realized it lacks that decaying feel? Or did you always want to create an adventure in dark ruins, but feared the amount of work it would be? Maybe you just want to ruin your base and then launch an expedition in, feeling like an archaeologist when digging for buried chests full of treasures? Then Teeth of Time is for you!

-So, what is this "Teeth of Time"?

Teeth of Time is a C# map manipulator, designed to simulate effects of weathering and time on manmade structures. This is done in a very realistic way, making blocks to fall off or tople and lay on the ground. Nature takes over human creations by covering them in grass, trees and other natural features. Everything is fully customisable, configs can be easily made, stored and chosed at start of the application.

-What can it do?

* Unsupported blocks fall, supported blocks topple
* Blocks decay into others (cobble into mossy cobble, etc.)
* Nature takes over human creations, using Minecraft itself to repopulate all chunks
* A Perlin filter to add non-uniform destruction and more detail
* Ability to ruin either the whole world or selected chunks only
* Everything can be customised in config files wich can be easily chosen at start of the app
* Multiple official configs included, with varying degree of decay
* Relighting
* Fluids recalculation
* GUI frontend provided to run the program
* Batch file compatible
* Mod compatible

-That's nice and all, but give me some screenies!

I hear you! Here you can see several before/after comparsions:
(Click any pic to get it's larger version.)

Before / After

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

-Ok, maybe, maybe I'll download...

Here are the links. You only need to install .NET Framework if you haven't ever used a C# app before.

.NET Framework 4 installer: http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Teeth Of Time Google Code link (download v1.0 there): http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

-Does it run with any world?

Of course it does! It does particularly nice in combination with these tools:
Mace random city generator (by Robson_)
MCDungeon dungeon generator (by Eggplant!)

-Hey, you promised us a "Credits" section above!

Yes, you are right! Many thanks to:

- Jaquadro for his Substrate Map editing API
- Kuba1920 for his castle world I used to test v0.1 of the tool.
- Oldshoes for Broville I tested v0.2 on.
- Robson_ for Mace city generator I currently tested the v0.3 on.
- Coau14, Angry Lolrus and Arcade909 for testing the release candidates for 1.0
- This community for keeping interest for this project in me.

Register or log in to remove.

jaquadro
    jaquadro

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1051 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

This looks pretty interesting.  If there was a decent castle generator to pair this with it would be amazing.

- Smoothstone and wood are not affected because of trees and caves. I have no idea how to fix this
I think you could rule out trees pretty easily by just looking for a connected path from a block of wood to a leaf block via other wood blocks.  If you can't find one, then they're candidates for erosion.  For smooth stone, you want to try and identify high-frequency features like walls.  Looking for smooth stone with neighboring air in the same zone that you've applied other transformations may be a reasonable heuristic.
NBTExplorer - NBT editor for Windows and Mac
Substrate - Minecraft map editing library for C#/.NET

Commander Keen

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:32 PM

For trees, something similar to what you described is already in the code, but I have disabled it, it's pretty poorly written and slows down the tool to crawl.

I'm definitely going to work with the smoothstone method, though. Thank you.

PortalGunfun

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:21 AM

Make the tool remove leaves...
Posted Image

Commander Keen

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:43 PM

PortalGunfun said:

Make the tool remove leaves...

Fully customizeable version 0.2 is coming soon, making the app remove leaves will need just one line change in the config file.

Lord_Protector

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:39 AM

THIS IS JUST SUGGESTION, I HATE IT WHEN I SEE PEOPLE SCREAMING "YOU NEED THIZZZ!"

So now that we've clarified that...
MAYBE you'd consider adding a few blocks of your own, like "Decaying Wood" or "Unstable TNT" or "Crystalized redstone" or "Rain-blasted Stone" to accentuate the aging?

Not much, just a few accent blocks. And, of course, only if you'd like to.

CocoKoala

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:40 AM

Use it on Broville :RedShroom:
Can't wait to see the expanded further.

Hans Lemurson
  • Minecraft: Hans_Lemurson

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:55 AM

Could cobblestone also get "weathered" into Gravel?  It would be interesting to see piles of collapsed roofing on the floor.

If something was built in the desert, might sand also pile up inside of it?
Hans Lemurson's Thread of Links: http://www.minecraft...hread-of-links/
Look here to find links to my inventions, creations, and my Youtube channel featuring Amazing Creations of Mine (Redstone engineering FTW!!!) and charming Music-Videos about clones.  I also made "Minecraft in Minecraft" (2D platformer/building game).  I'm currently trying to make a computer.

le_alouette
  • Minecraft: ps_ispin

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:56 AM

Hmm.. I'd like to use this out, but I don't have many buildings on my main world to wear out.

MadMonkey said:

THIS 40X40 CRAFTING AREA CONFUSES MONKEY. HOW DO I MAKE TETRA­METHYL­DIAMINO­BENZHYDRYL­PHOSPHINOUS AGAIN??? PLZ HELPP THIS UPDATE IS TEH SUXK.

Commander Keen

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

Lord_Protector said:

MAYBE you'd consider adding a few blocks of your own, like "Decaying Wood" or "Unstable TNT" or "Crystalized redstone" or "Rain-blasted Stone" to accentuate the aging?

Not much, just a few accent blocks. And, of course, only if you'd like to.

While that would be nice, it would require modding the game, and I'm going to do that until the official modding API is out.

CocoKoala said:

Use it on Broville :Skeleton:

Next target: Broville. Expect to see Broville ruins in the next release :D

Hans Lemurson said:

Could cobblestone also get "weathered" into Gravel?  It would be interesting to see piles of collapsed roofing on the floor.

Simulating cobblestone to gravel erosion will be possible to simulate in v0.2 by changing a single line in v0.2. Also, roofs and similar stuff already collapse.

Hans Lemurson said:

If something was built in the desert, might sand also pile up inside of it?

That's definitely a good idea, I'll see what I can do.

Lord_Protector

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:23 AM

I had one more idea that totally slipped my mind, the difficulty of which I have no true idea in coding.
I've often been...err...explosion-happy... in my worlds haha.

This leaves a mess of stone that never ever wears down into grass.

A neat idea (imo) would be to check if there's air above a stone block, and possibly weather it into dirt or grass (to only change the surface stone).

Eventually, craters would recover, grass and dirt slowly filling it up.

Something like that possible?

Commander Keen

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:02 AM

Lord_Protector said:

A neat idea (imo) would be to check if there's air above a stone block, and possibly weather it into dirt or grass (to only change the surface stone).

Eventually, craters would recover, grass and dirt slowly filling it up.

Something like that possible?

Possible, and not even that hard to do. All needed functions are already in place, just one chunk altering and the config loading functions would have to be changed. It will have to wait before current issues are resolved, though.

Now, I'm fighting one bug with config loading of multidimensional arrays. I'm not sure how long will it take to fix, so soon I'll just release v0.19 with one feature in config disabled to avoid the bug.

DaimondCreeper

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:17 AM

Cool..great for pyramids!
:Diamond:
Posted Image

hatwhale
  • Minecraft: Hatwhale

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

this is the greatest thing ever!

however, now that you can get spiders webs (with things like too many items, INVedit, etc...) you should have them appear around dark ruins! it would be awesome.

fuzzehthehydra

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:11 PM

Not going to download, as I run a mac, but great work =) really innovative, I can't wait for the Broville test map.

Now for my two cents: Would it be possible to give TNT a random chance to explode? It would add a nice sense of realism, especially if, for example, you were exploring an old ruin and discovered that the former occupant's TNT stores had exploded, leaving behind nothing but a large crater. And I'm not sure if this would just ruin the effect, but giving cobblestone a random chance to 'erode' into a half-step might look good.

Commander Keen

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

hatwhale said:

however, now that you can get spiders webs (with things like too many items, INVedit, etc...) you should have them appear around dark ruins! it would be awesome.

Thanks for the awesome idea!

I can't wait for the Broville test map.

Broville did not turn out how would I like, because this app can't yet move wood and smoothstone (it can in theory, but moving wood destroys trees and moving all the smoothstone underground crashes the app) and Broville is made mostly out of these materials. It's actively worked on, though.

Now for my two cents: Would it be possible to give TNT a random chance to explode? It would add a nice sense of realism, especially if, for example, you were exploring an old ruin and discovered that the former occupant's TNT stores had exploded, leaving behind nothing but a large crater.

Good idea. I'm definitely adding it, but it will need quite a lot of work, so expect to see it later in development.

And I'm not sure if this would just ruin the effect, but giving cobblestone a random chance to 'erode' into a half-step might look good.

There is a bug that disables exact this functionality in the current version :Skeleton:

NotTarts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:31 AM

Bump. This is a really great idea and I'd like to see it updated. It deserves far more fame than it is getting.

About the smoothstone problem, maybe you could measure the thickness of the formation and only perform the process if it has a thickness of one block?
mcmapDZ: Simple, lightning-fast interactive web maps.

Its_Ackbar
  • Minecraft: Its_Ackbar

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:36 PM

NotTarts said:

Bump. This is a really great idea and I'd like to see it updated. It deserves far more fame than it is getting.....

Yea, it's epic with McDungeon, I hope you haven't stopped work on this!

Posted Image

Commander Keen

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:07 PM

@NotTarts - I might use that idea as a hotfix, but at the end, I will have to do it differently. People seem too fond of building three blocks thick smoothstone walls :/

@Ackbar - Yeah, McDungeon was the second thing I tried it on. I think the destruction is a bit too severe in v0.1 though, the dungeon is very hard to navigate.

The development is still going, though not as fast as I would like. If anyone wants the source, to look how it's done or to make his own branch of the app, send me a PM.

Azrooh
    Azrooh

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:34 PM

I love this tool, and it sounds like the next version will be much better. :)