• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Hardware Requirements (For ALPHA only)

• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

hiddennin

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

I'm making a reference so that when it comes down to a hardware issue, we can refer back to here to see if the system meets certain requirements
THIS NOT A SUPPORT THREAD, DO NOT POST YOUR PROBLEMS HERE!
If you can run minecraft alpha(not perfectly but "can" run it) feel free to post your system specs (be honest, we are looking for the worst computer that can run it, not the best)
IF YOU HAVE A COMPUTER THAT CAN RUN MINECRAFT ABOVE 60 FPS, GOOD FOR YOU BUT DO NOT POST YOUR SPECS HERE!!!
we are only looking for barely runnable specs

From my tests at home so far, in the Support section of the forum, and in here, here is some spec that I know should work:
Minimum Requirements:
CPU: 1.5+ GHz multi-core processor, 2.0+ GHz single-core processor
RAM/Memory: 1.0+ GB for Xp, 1.5+ GB for Windows 7-32 bit, 2.0+ GB for Vista/Mac OS, 3.0+ GB for Windows 7-64 bit
Graphic card: Must support OpenGL 1.4 or better (if the computer is a laptop and uses an Intel Graphic Processor, check here, otherwise if it is from Nvidia/Ati, you should be fine)there is another variable in this that affects gameplay so no additional info until then
Hard Drive Space: 80+ MB of free space (might need more as Notch might add more stuff later on)

Recommended Requirements: (game should be running at least 60 fps, or 30 fps when it is loading chunks)
CPU: 2.0+ GHz multi-core processor, 2.5+ GHz single-core processor
RAM/Memory: 2.0+ GB for Xp, 3.0+ GB for Vista/Win 7/Mac OS, 4.0+ GB for all 64-bit Operating Systems
Graphic Card: ATI/Nvidia independent card that support OpenGL 2.0 with 128+ MB of dedicated G-RAM
Hard Drive Space: 256+ MB of free space
A relatively decent desktop you can get for about $500 USD should have all these requirements met

Certain Notes and Calculations:
RAM/Memory: run your computer on Safe-mode (Windows only) and see how much resources it needs. Add about 750 MB on that and around to nearest 0.5 GB and that should be roughly what you need (with some overhead room for some people)
Graphic Card: there is still a lot of unconfirmed information that needs to be sorted and analyzed, so it's more of a guideline than a requirement
Hard Drive Space: 30 MB is for the resources and etc that allows Alpha to run, 50 MB per world you will generate (50 MB is quite a lot of area for you to work on)

if you have a computer that can run minecraft and is worst than the setup i posted above, post it and i will see if it is doable
if you have certain components that you have no idea what it is or anything specific, try using CPUZ
and for graphic cards: GPUZ
I think I flooded the map with glowstone via BC, IC and EE

Register or log in to remove.

boran_blok
    boran_blok

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

Now THIS is a great idea.
Sigged!

Edit: However I am not 100% certain OpenGL 2.0 is required. I will check my archives, but I believe some people with an OpenGL 1.5 card got it working (they say)

Edit2: I cannot find anyone who had openGL 1.5 and was able to play alpha, so yes, at the moment it seems 2.0 is the minimum.

Edit3: instead of the external cpuz and gpuz tools mentioned above you could also run dxdiag and copy/paste the CPU, memory and display device information.

Only post this info here if minecraft alpha 1.0.17_4 (the latest version) works on your system.
Minecraft does not run? Check the alpha Hardware Requirements
Update your drivers for Intel, ATI and nVidia
Getting the message "Customized computer manufacturer graphics driver is detected" ? Use the workaround described here

Gospel
    Gospel

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

I can run minecraft with ~30 fps solid on my moms old Dell at full render distance. It's from 2002, I think.

It has
CPU: 3.0GHz single core
Ram: 1024mb
Graphics Card: Some random terrible 64mb intel chip
Hard Drive: 1tb ( I had a spare HD and she needed more space )
Posted Image

boran_blok
    boran_blok

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

Gospel, you are the exception rather than the rule it seems.

But to clarify the OpenGL requirements a bit further, could you run the OpenGL extensions viewer and tell me what version of OpenGL it reports?

Thanks.
Getting the message "Customized computer manufacturer graphics driver is detected" ? Use the workaround described here

hiddennin

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

Gospel said:

I can run minecraft with ~30 fps solid on my moms old Dell at full render distance. It's from 2002, I think.

It has

can you be more specific with your intel chip? use GPUZ

Gospel
    Gospel

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

hiddennin said:

Gospel said:

It has

can you be more specific with your intel chip? use GPUZ

I'm not at my moms house at the moment. When I go back I'll get the specific specs for you.
Posted Image

Heavenly-Demise

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

CPU: 1.6GHz Atom
RAM: 1 GB (800MHz)
Graphics card: Intel 945GSE 128Mb
Hard Drive Space: 160Gb (Not an issue)

You guessed it folks, it's a Netbook, but it will play at ~30fps with minimum view distance.

hiddennin

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

just a quick note: this is specifically for ALPHA only so no posting specs that can only run classic

hiddennin

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:04 PM

Heavenly-Demise said:

You guessed it folks, it's a Netbook, but it will play at ~30fps with minimum view distance.
netbooks need to have another spec requirement

boran_blok
    boran_blok

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:04 PM

Heavenly-Demise said:

well there goes the OpenGL minimum requirements theory. According To wikipedia that card is only OpenGL 1.4 compliant. could you run the OpenGL extensions viewer (linked in third post in this thread) and tell me what OpenGL version it reports ?

boran_blok
    boran_blok

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

hiddennin said:

netbooks need to have another spec requirement

I do not agree, if a netbook can run it in OpenGL 1.4 why should a desktop not be capable of running it in openGL 1.4 ?

hiddennin

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

that's the weird part, i can't find more cases of people that can run alpha with OpenGL below 2.0
that is why I posted this so I can collect information and help people a bit more
most of the time it's something else that is related to the problem so I cannot use the specs until it is completely fixed

qwertyz
    qwertyz

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1637 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

I can run the game with an average of 9 FPS. Do I qualify?

And how do I find out my specs if I do?
Click for awesome indie game: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dhk-2Wb_IyQ
Posted Image

hiddennin

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

hiddennin said:

if you have certain components that you have no idea what it is or anything specific, try using CPUZ

Mulan
    Mulan

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

I would say 30fps would me the low bar.

Yes you can play lower then that, but 30fps is a comfortable viewing rate.

boran_blok
    boran_blok

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

hmmh, I think we have to draw a line somewhere. And I think 9 fps is a bit below that and 1 definetly is.

We are trying to establish a minimum spec that will deliver a playable experience, so potential buyers can evaluate if their system is up to it. If we make the minimum specs for an experience of 9 fps I do not think the people will be pleased.
You can post your specs however, so we have an idea of how a lower specced computer can run. The more data points we have the more accurate our assesment.

to get your system specifications follow either of the two instructions posted in post 1 or 2 in this thread.

hiddennin

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

well, i did say that this is minimum requirements and for support purposes
so if u can "play" with 1 fps, then it meets requirements

but I will update it with a "playable requirements"

I going to be gone for about 8 hours or so, I will check back then to see anything comes up

Heavenly-Demise

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:35 PM

boran_blok said:

Heavenly-Demise said:

well there goes the OpenGL minimum requirements theory. According To wikipedia that card is only OpenGL 1.4 compliant. could you run the OpenGL extensions viewer (linked in third post in this thread) and tell me what OpenGL version it reports ?

Yep, OpenGL 1.4

qwertyz
    qwertyz

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1637 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

My specs are currently:

Graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.50 GHz
RAM: 3070MB RAM
Memory Space: 5297MB available

Dunno if I got it all right.

Laptop at 9 FPS average
Click for awesome indie game: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dhk-2Wb_IyQ
Posted Image

oldage
    oldage

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

I'm gonna link you to a few other tools you can also use for finding out your specs if that's okay.

- Speccy: http://www.piriform.com/speccy
Posted Image

- flitskikker infotool: http://flitskikker.f... ... wnload.php
Posted Image

and of course, dxdiag

maybe make it a list?
Posted Image