Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

TUTORIAL: How to find diamonds

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

ariwcharles
  • Minecraft: ariwcharles

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:29 PM

This tutorial will tell you one of the easier ways to find diamonds :Diamond: WITHOUT using a texture pack that makes all the stone transparent or an inventory editor.

YOU WILL NEED:
Stone Pickaxes (for mining DOWN to the diamond layer, NOT FOR MINING ORE!)
Iron Pickaxes (for mining diamonds, can be made on way down, you'll find plenty of iron  :D)
Crafting Table  :Bench:
Furnace  :D
Chest  :(
Plenty of Torches  :--+:
Stone Sword
Cooked Porkchops  :Bacon:

1. Make sure you have at least a stone pickaxe, and preferably extras. Wood tools won't get you anywhere.

2. Pick a spot, any spot, for your mine. The worst places are in desert biomes and near water. Why? Sand is affected by gravity, so your mine could easily cave in, and there tend to be more underground water springs near large oceans and lakes.

3. Now dig a staircase down to top bedrock, Y-level 5. Press F3 and look at the Y-coordinate on the left side of the screen to check what level you're at. Make sure to dig a straight staircase, not a spiral one.

4. You might consider bringing along a  :D and a crafting table  :Bench: so you can make iron tools out of iron  :ironore:  you'll find while mining. Don't worry about fuel for the furnace--you'll be sure to find coal :Coal: on your way down.

5. When you get to bedrock, count up ten or so layers to Y-level 20. Diamonds occur between layers 20 and 0, but are most common between 20 and 10. Then dig a 2x1 tunnel leading out from the stairs, using torches as necessary.

6. Every four blocks, mine out the start of another tunnel branching off to the side in the same direction, like this:

:stone:  []  :stone:  :stone:  :stone:
:stone:  []   []  []  []  SIDE TUNNEL
:stone:  []   []  []  []  SIDE TUNNEL
[]  [] STAIRS  []  []  []

7. Now enter the first side tunnel and mine it out until you're happy with the distance, you reach a cave, or you've mined more than 40 blocks. Then mine out a long tunnel parallel to the first one you dug out from the side of the stairs. Stop to mine out anything you want as you go.

8. Go back and mine out the second side tunnel until you hit the tunnel you dug at the back, and repeat until you're happy with the amount of side tunnels you have. Make sure to check the ceilings for any diamond ore blocks :DORE: you could easily miss.

9. However, the chances are you actually haven't found any diamond yet, though, so now it's time to mine out everything in between the side tunnels to make one large room. With luck and patience, you'll find at least one diamond. BUT...BUT...DON'T MINE DIAMOND WITHOUT AN IRON PICKAXE OR BETTER!Otherwise, the block will break but it WON'T DROP A GEM  :Diamond:! And that would not be fun.  :SSSS:  

10. Still none? Lower the floor. Just mine out the floor to lower it one block. Repeat until you get to layer 10, when the chances of magma (lava) lakes screwing you up rise and the diamond generation rate drops significantly. After that, bring all your loot up to your base, or make a nice room with a chest down in the mine to store all the stuff you get.

11. STILL NOT A SINGLE DIAMOND?! You can only expect to get around 3 or 4, at most 7 or 8, diamonds from each big room you dig, but if you haven't found ANY, check your Y-coordinate. You should be between layers 20 and 10, with most diamonds in THAT area around layer 15. In that area? Oh well. Diamond mining is all about luck. Dig a new large room on the other side of the stairs and start over.

TIPS:

If you're nervous about getting mauled by zombies, use tons of torches, or use something called peaceful mode.

Put your diamonds away in a chest RIGHT AWAY as soon as you find them in case you DO die.

Sometimes you have to start a new mine in a completely new place. Deal with it.

Armor never hurt anyone.

Try, try, again, as an old saying goes.

TROUBLESHOOTING
If you can't find any diamonds, take a look and try some of these common solutions.

Check your Y-coordinate by pressing F3. You should be between 20 and 10, and closer to 15.

Look up. They're probably right above you on the ceiling. You won't know how many people whine that they can't find diamond but don't bother turning their head.

You're mistaking diamond for lapis lazuli, which is DARK blue. Diamond is LIGHT blue, and it looks like this: :DORE:.

Try a new location.

Walk away, and do something else for a while, then come back.

AN ALTERNATIVE:

Go spelunking. Find a cave, and wander through it into other caves until you get down to the diamond layer. Then look on the walls and ceiling of the cave. You'll probably find diamonds there. Leave a path of torches so you can find your way back out.

HOPE THIS TUTORIAL WAS INTERESTING AND INFORMATIVE! :Notch:

Edits:
9:30 AM EDT Sun Apr 17 2011--Original post
10:15 AM EDT Sun Apr 17 2011--Fixed two spelling/grammar errors, added edit log
2:40 PM EDT Mon Apr 18 2011--Added spelunking details
3:35 PM EDT Mon Apr 18 2011--Included note about iron pickaxes in "you will need" list
Spoiler:

Register or log in to remove.

Stroke
    Stroke

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:33 PM

If you're nervous about getting mauled by zombies, use tons of torches, or use something called peaceful mode.
I see what you did there.
Posted Image

Occorru said:

The time between updates is 20% work, 40% vacations, and 60% Jeb perfecting lanterns.

sqrt(-1) o_O

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

I thought diamonds are not found at level 20, or if they were are extremely rare.
http://www.minecraft...i/Diamond_(Ore)

View PostLudacrizzle, on 04 August 2011 - 08:41 PM, said:

I don't play Call of Duty, the whole game is a glitch.

Depth Afield
  • Minecraft: Sproutfoot

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

Step one: craft a stack of ladders
Step two: dig straight down, installing ladders as you go and installing torches in nooks to the side as needed
Step three: once at bedrock, start digging up and around.
Step four: mine diamonds

If you hit lava, rinse and repeat nearby, but not far away. Most diamonds I have found have been near lava.

Edit: I learned very quickly, not to waste time mining way up toward the surface. Starting from bedrock and working outward is just as dangerous as levels 20+.

ariwcharles

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

Depth Afield said:

Step one: craft a stack of ladders
Step two: dig straight down, installing ladders as you go and installing torches in nooks to the side as needed
Step three: once at bedrock, start digging up and around.
Step four: mine diamonds

If you hit lava, rinse and repeat nearby, but not far away. Most diamonds I have found have been near lava.

Edit: I learned very quickly, not to waste time mining way up toward the surface. Starting from bedrock and working outward is just as dangerous as levels 20+.

I made one of the mines I described in the above tutorial, and got 14 diamonds from it, after mining out about 3,570 cubic meters between layers 20 and 10. I did not hit lava, but a creeper almost got me when I was crafting a new stack of torches after I ran out. Luckily bedrock is creeper-proof.  :--+: +  :--+: =  :D

No, I only Invedit TNT so I don't have to go on a creeper-slaying rampage.
Spoiler:

omnion
    omnion

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:17 PM

TUTORIAL: How to find diamonds.
Step 1: Mine\dig.

ariwcharles

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

omnion said:

TUTORIAL: How to find diamonds.
Step 1: Mine\dig.

Good point...LOL :opblock:
Spoiler:

DarkForce2000

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

Your getting it all wrong...!
This is the real way... (The lazy way. Yes it uses InvEdit. BUT... I said it was the "real" way)

Step one: Create a new world.
Step two: save and quite to title.
Step three: Open InvEdit.
Step Four: Open that world you just created.
Step Five: Put lots of diamonds into your inventory.
Step Six: Save.
Step Seven: Go back into that world and your done. :)

Posted Image

PeachesMclovin

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

thanks, I was doing this, but at around layer 20, so I read this and went to layer 12. NOW I HAVE ALL THE  :)  I NEED! Thanks!
Minecraft IGN: PeachesMclovin

PeachesMclovin

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

DarkForce2000 said:

This is the real way... (The lazy way. Yes it uses InvEdit. BUT... I said it was the "real" way)

Thats definently not as rewarding as finding them legit. :)
Minecraft IGN: PeachesMclovin

DarkForce2000

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:10 PM

PeachesMclovin said:

DarkForce2000 said:

Thats definently not as rewarding as finding them legit. :brick:
lol...
I tend to find diamond easier in caves.

Posted Image

ariwcharles

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:38 PM

PeachesMclovin said:

thanks, I was doing this, but at around layer 20, so I read this and went to layer 12. NOW I HAVE ALL THE  :iapprove:  I NEED! Thanks!

You're welcome. If you want/need me to do anything else, just PM me!  :VV:
Spoiler:

marett
    marett

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1108 posts
  • Minecraft: marett

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

I like how you forgot you need an iron pick to mine diamond.
Edit- i meant in the list of items you should bring.
(~ ̄▽ ̄)~
Everytime i log on, i expect to see my warn status go up.

ariwcharles

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:44 PM

marett said:

Edit- I meant in the list of items you should bring.

I figure you'll find enough iron on your way down to make tools on the spot. But you could already have iron tools ready or use an inventory editor. May as well add that. Good catch!
Spoiler:

IIE16_Yoshi

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

marett said:

Edit- i meant in the list of items you should bring.

i was thinking this aswell. i was waiting for the 'OP U LIEDED TO MEH!' as they mine diamonds with stone picks
Posted Image

AntiDroid
  • Minecraft: AntiDroid

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:05 PM

I never really take an actual plan in searching for diamonds. I just dig like a lunatic until I find a cave, search around, and eventually stumble accross some diamonds.  :D

Posted Image