• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

nekom
    nekom

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

I'm trying to dig a long tunnel at elevation 5 and good lord there's a lot of lava down there, flowing right in the way of where my nice long tunnel ought to be.  Is there a better way of getting it out of my way than dumping water on it and hoping to be able to seal it (and the water) off?  Will TNT blow up lava?  Anyone have a good method of digging through it to suggest?
An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.  -  Pliny the Younger
http://www.minecraft...-maze-in-works/ - My current project, help wanted!

Register or log in to remove.

Doucheball

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

You need to be a little bit more specific on what your problem is.

If there's a lava flood in the middle of your tunnel I suggest placing water in the vicinity, then take the lava blocks that turned into cobblestone and mine them. Then seal off the flow of lava.

nekom
    nekom

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:08 PM

Ok to be more specific, I have 2 holes from surface to the top of bedrock, and I want to build a tunnel between them at elevation 5.  On both sides going straight towards the other there is a LOT of lava flows.  I've even tried going a little further away and connecting them nearby but every time I try to dig basically anywhere for any significant length, I hit lava or water.  The water is a bit easier to deal with and easier to seal off, but the lava it seems no matter what I do I can't seem  to make any progress.  I do wind up with a lot of obsedian though.
An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.  -  Pliny the Younger

dwarf lord

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

I use a bucket to clear lava. You can pick it up in the bucket and if you the use the bucket on another lava block (not a flow) then it will empty the bucket.

The result is you can double right click on a lava block with a lava bucket and it empties the bucket then refills it, removing the block.

Be careful not to use the bucket anywhere else though!

Lava flows always take a while to disappear unfortunately.

nekom
    nekom

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

I was having only limited luck trying to get it with a bucket, you have to use it on the source right?  In some cases the source may be a dozen blocks higher than the 3x3 tunnel I'm trying to excavate.  How do they handle lava in real mines?  (yes, that is a joke)

GretchenMC

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

I hear ya about wanting to do it at the top of the bedrock at 5, but most lava lakes have their surface at 10.  Tons of useful minerals and diamonds from 10 to 20.  If you make your tunnel at 10, much less heartache with lava. (Edit: by which I mean, you'll be digging and the block in front of the one you are standing on will be the top of a laval pool, not at face level removing your eyebrows.)

You know you're standing on 10 if you hit F3 and it says your Y = 12.62000...

Now if you really want a tunnel or area with exposed tops of bedrock, then lava is just part of your life.  Carry a bucket of water on your hotbar to douse yourself, you probably already do.  Drop and pick up, takes just a moment to save yourself.

RICK_BO
    RICK_BO

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

This thread is closest to my dilemma, but my server just added a nether world, so naturally in the race to mine out all the glowstone, people started building their own nether portals far away from others.

Mine came out underneath a lavalake. Now, we don't play on peaceful, and I've handled quite a bit of lava in my time. but it seems impossible to be able to tunnel through lava vertically upwards.

Does anyone have any idea of how to do this?

Unit7
    Unit7

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1026 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

I used to go about gathering gravel and sand and fill up the lava. Takes ages and so annoying. Now that I have a better look at what's under that lava. I mean there are plenty of diamonds and such in those giant lava areas.

Now I just type in //drain 22

and lava within 22 blocks of me go bye bye. :Diamond:

Not sure exactly why I always choose 22. I guess I just like the number.

I use Single Player Commands and World Edit. :D

I try and only use this mod in my main world to deal with lava... but sometimes I slip and just instantmine redstone... so much of the stuff. :D

Booloo
    Booloo

Carpenter

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:24 AM

Gravel and/or Sand is your best bet just fill in the lava and dig it out again. Its probably the fastest way, definitely faster than turning it into obsidian lol.