Horses and Breeding.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Jacos
    Jacos

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 863 posts
  • Location: Bexhill, England, Europe, Earth, SPECIES 1079 INHABITED SYSTEM - ALL HAIL THE BORG!
  • Minecraft: Jacos

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:46 PM

Horses - simple ideas, yes? There are a huge list of ways these could be useful, no? Let's have a look...

1) Travel! long roads? No worries!
2) Combat! You see that chap over there? Fancy iron equipment! Makes your equipment look like right rubbish, yes? Well, now you can have a new advantage, with a good horse!
3) Hit 'n' Run! Golly Gosh Burgers! That fellow has some diamond! But by the time you take the stuff, the local police will be all over you! Well, take them out with arrows, and make a quick escape.. On a horse! They'd be able to sprint for a while, to help you evade pursuers.
4) Bumpy terrain? Make your horse jump over gaps, obstacles, and all sorts.
Problems, problems, problems...

1) But if horses had all these abilities, they'd be overpowered!
2) Why not just walk? It could be faster.
4) Bumpy terrain would make horse travel impossible.

Well, now it's answers.

1) No! Breeding means you can have horses only specializing in specific things.
2) Horses would be much faster, of course.
3) Heard of roads, recently?
-----
Now, this idea would solely depend on the ability to domesticate and breed animals.

Every horse and cow has statistics, when domesticated. You are able to "breed" horses and cows, and try to get the best skills for some. For example, breeding two horses with good traveling would mean the offspring would be very fast, and have a decent amount of inventory. You'd be able to ride it for a while before it would be tired or hungry. However, lets say one of these horses has a not very good jump skill, the offspring would also not be very good at jumping, jumping up to, lets say, half a tile. Which wouldn't be much good.

So, the idea is this;
High skill + high skill = Offspring will have exceptional skill for that offspring, offspring's offspring has exceptional skill.
High skill + very good skill = Offspring will have exceptional / very good / medium skill. Random.
High skill + medium skill = Offspring will have very good skill for offspring.
High skill + bad skill = Offspring will have medium / bad / terrible skill. Random.
High skill + terrible skill = Offspring will have medium skill.
That's the idea. Knowing that, you can calculate other possible combination.

There will be different skill levels;
Terrible - Bad - Medium - Very Good - Exceptional - Champion (Extremely rare, done by breeding exceptional skilled horses) - Legendary (extremely rare, done by breeding champions, or can extremely rarely found by taming wild horses.)

The idea is, players must breed the right horses together, trying to get all the right genes, to breed a sort of "super horse". But, because of the difficulty of getting all the right genes, players will probably have to sacrifice other skills. For example, for a travel worthy jumping horse, you will probably have to sacrifice it's hit 'n' run abilities, and it's combat abilities, meaning it could be vulnerable.

Now, because I probably haven't made it obvious, I'll point out what the skills do;

Horse Archery - Dictates how well you can aim a bow on a horse.
Horse Sprinting - Dictates how fast and long you can sprint before your horse must slow down.
Horse Combat - Allows your horse to do more powerful attacks, and allows you to deal proper damage while on a horse.
Horse Traveling - Improves your horses ability to travel for longer and farther before it must stop for a break, or becomes hungry after traveling.

Register or log in to remove.

Jampp
    Jampp

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

A simple idea:

One colored (brown, black, white etc) horses are bit better than multicolored (white/brown, white/black etc) horses because they are more 'pure'.
Posted Image

Jacos
    Jacos

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 863 posts
  • Location: Bexhill, England, Europe, Earth, SPECIES 1079 INHABITED SYSTEM - ALL HAIL THE BORG!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:45 PM

That would be a nice addition to this idea, I guess.

Jacos
    Jacos

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 863 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

BUMP.
I had a brilliant idea and only one person posts.
I am sad :D

muncher21
    muncher21

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4081 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

I'd rather it just be I get a horse.  It can run jump and i can attack on it's back.  IMO we don't need breeding.

mjcabooseblu said:

Muncher is right, listen to him, he can cure the blind and make paraplegics walk.
My texture pack         My Youtube Chanel

Scaream
    Scaream

Redstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 619 posts
  • Minecraft: Scaream

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:03 PM

I wish Notch added horses....

Playing Minecraft since May 2009

Olidood
    Olidood

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • Minecraft: Olidood

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

we kinda already have pigs, although they have no idea where there going...
Hello, would you like to help a 14 year old achieve their dream? click here if you're interested.
http://oliverzombienovel.wordpress.com

Jacos
    Jacos

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 863 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

Pigs? Oh please, like those will get you quickly from A to B :D
Horses would be great.

itisiapplepie

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

I hope notch looks into the subject I think the idea is good and overall a great addition to the game.
[center]Posted Image[url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp]

katana098

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

Why limit this to horses...

Breed spiders.... pigs... sheep... cows.... chickens... slimes?

Spider pigs...
Posted Image
"I am a floating tree with limbs living in Antarctica. Screw logic."-floatingmagictree

furaiz
    furaiz

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1254 posts
  • Minecraft: furaiz

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does...

Gear3215

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

For some reason the general way in which you wrote the post and the phrase "Golly Gosh Burgers" made me lmao.

El-ahrairah

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

Jampp said:

A simple idea:

One colored (brown, black, white etc) horses are bit better than multicolored (white/brown, white/black etc) horses because they are more 'pure'.

But then the pure horses will think they are better than the mixed horses. You know where that leads. Doesn't take too long for a particular horse with a funny moustache to come along. Suddenly, death camps full of emaciated horses! IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT!!!??

It's more complicated than it needs to be. Horses just need to be fast enough to match the speed of a spider. That's not too fast. There can be different breeds but mixing stats makes it too complicated. Keep it simple. Sturdy mountain ponies, swift Arabians and strong draft horses. Three kinds, that's all you need. I don't think there needs to even be more than one kind of horse.

I think they should be a bit uncommon, the wild horses. You find one, sneak up to it and put a saddle on. If you screw up, it runs away. The difficulty would be in catching it before it runs away. It would be skittish.

Choak
    Choak

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:51 PM

Hey guys, im currently working on a breeding system
topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61559&p=974250&hilit=breeding#p974250
I think it will interest you, because you like the breeding of horses and so on.
I'll put a link to this topic on mine btw :iapprove:

please comment your idea's to my topic, so other people want to comment too.
The breeding system should be in minecraft!
- I like to build huge lavapools, to swim in it.. wait, wut? I can't? ... -
-- YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M CAPABLE OF!!!! *Cries* --

My stuff:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61559

pie_ter
    pie_ter

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

horses would be very awesome :Diamond: but i think we need only one breed. a horse is fast and can jump more far. u could also attack while sitting on a horse. dont make them too hard too get! i've been playing minecraft for a long time but i have never found a saddle :Diamond:

blaster
    blaster

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6310 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:25 PM

This is awesome, it adds a whole new job to the game. Horse breeders could become rich if they are skilled.
To anyone who thinks this would add complexity, remember, you don't need horses to play the game, they are optional. Adding something like needing antidotes after being attacked by a poison spider would add complexity as you are forced to do it. This is optional, so no more complexity is added if you don't want it.
The rebellion has already begun. Otter Forums

FrostyJosh8

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:20 AM

well u can just download mo creatures horse pack white horse,brown black,light brown,unicorns and even a pegasus. :P
Posted Image

Ptylersworld

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:37 AM

I agree. I think that horses would be an excellent addition to the features of Minecraft. Being able to get places quicker for one thing, also it adds more variety to the game. :Skeleton:

Sky-bridge Sam
  • Minecraft: Stone_Tigris

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

OMG!! Just get mod Mo' Creatures. You get loads more mobs and none of this breeding stuff!
Posted Image

Maxwillkil

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:08 PM

*Cough* mo' creatures *cough*
Posted Image