• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Most effective wheat farm design?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

AbleBarker

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:48 AM

I have been thinking of remaking my wheat farm. I find the amount I can harvest doesn’t last me as long as I would like as I spend more and more time in my mines. What is the most effective farm design you have used? And water harvesting doesn’t count because not being able to get seed back in not efficient.
EvE online
Minecraft
Starcraft
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Register or log in to remove.

lilviepk3z
    lilviepk3z

The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything...

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:30 AM

My way is multiple stories high

[]   :||||:  :||||:  []   :||||: :Red:  :||||:  []  :||||:  :||||:  []
[]   :||||:  :||||:  []   :||||: :Water:  :||||:  []  :||||:  :||||:  []
So basically this is an upward view.  The blanks are your walk way, the wheat is actually raised up 1 block from your walk way.  And the water starts at the very top of your farming skyscraper and waterfalls down.  You can make it as long as you want and do whatevs to change it up.  The walkway for the floor above holds the torches for the crops below.  
Hope I helped.
Posted Image

Jezzaman101

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:06 AM

:||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:
:||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :)  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:

Blaze
    Blaze

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1381 posts
  • Location: Defending my castle against flying eyeballs with an enchanted boomerang. Be back when the blood moon descends.

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:18 AM

Jezzaman101 said:

-Sniparoony-
This. Can't beat that.
Fibeas are better than ponies.

Rowsdower
  • Minecraft: bigclifty

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

You can put stone half-blocks over top your water channel.  That way you can combine your water channel and your path into one block-with for maximum space savings!
Posted Image
Admin of the Scared Craftless Server

salty53
    salty53

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:26 AM

Jezzaman's design is the most compact, but it forces you to sneak to harvest and makes the wheat grow more slowly than it otherwise could (the growth algorithm rewards single rows and columns and punishes 2x2 squares).

slicinator

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:32 AM

If I only have a small space to farm, I make a farm tower with a lava running down the middle for permalight. I would change the lava to water but there's no point as my walkway might aswell be used as water source.

FinalFan
    FinalFan

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:35 PM

lilviepk3z said:

My way is multiple stories high

[]   :||||:  :||||:  []   :||||: :)  :||||:  []  :||||:  :||||:  []
[]   :||||:  :||||:  []   :||||: :Diamond:  :||||:  []  :||||:  :||||:  []
[]   :||||:  :||||:  []   :||||: :D  :||||:  []  :||||:  :||||:  []
So basically this is an upward view.  The blanks are your walk way, the wheat is actually raised up 1 block from your walk way.  And the water starts at the very top of your farming skyscraper and waterfalls down.  You can make it as long as you want and do whatevs to change it up.  The walkway for the floor above holds the torches for the crops below.  
Hope I helped.

Rowsdower said:

You can put stone half-blocks over top your water channel.  That way you can combine your water channel and your path into one block-with for maximum space savings!
I would say that one of these is the best.  Jezzaman's design is only good for maximum compactness, the others are much faster to harvest.  I have a design basically identical to lilviepk3z's, only double-wide and only one story tall.

I haven't tested (see below for diagram), but it seems to me that Rowsdower's suggestion would break the vertical compactness of lilviepk3z's design (Standing on the water source requires you to raise the ceiling to give enough headroom in walkways), but allows a design that's slightly better horizontally:
:||||:  :_:  :||||:  :||||:  :Water:  :||||:  :||||:  :_:  :||||:  :||||:  :_:  :||||:  :||||:  :Water:  :||||:  :||||:  :_:  :||||:
vs.
[]   :||||:  :||||:  []  :||||: :Water:  :||||:  []  :||||:  :||||:  []  :||||:  :||||:  []   :||||: :Water:  :||||:  []  :||||:  :||||:  []

18 spaces have the same harvest as 21 spaces in the "waterfall" design.  (Or, effectively, 9x vs 10x+1 if the design is repeated, due to the walkways on both sides of the waterfall pattern.)

Obviously, if you have multiple floors, or may possibly want to stack your farm later, one of these designs is absolutely the best.  [edit3]  Rowsdower's design is less vertically compact, and it's be a 3-to-4 (or 3-to-5, see below) inefficiency vs. a 9-to-10 advantage horizontally.  Ordinarily, I'd say the half-block walkways are more convenient for the harvester, but if it puts you higher than the crops, then no.  

You'd obviously need to make separate water sources for each level, instead of waterfalls going throughout the design, but that's just a matter of more buckets.  And, of course, all the half-blocks, and whatever you use to stop yourself from trampling the wheat.  

Diagrams:  
lilviepk3z:
:Water:  :--+:  :soil:  :--+:  :--+:  :soil:
:Water:  :||||:   []  :||||:  :||||:  []
:Water:  :soil: [] :soil:  :soil:  []
:Water:  :--+:  :soil:  :--+:  :--+:  :soil:
As you can see, this is pretty well-packed.  I'd be surprised if this isn't more or less the apex of compact multilevel wheat farming.  

Rowsdowser (extrapolated):
:|:  :soil:  :--+:  :--+:  :soil:  :--+:
[]  []  :P   []  []  :)
:_:  :||||:  :||||:  :_:  :||||:  :||||:
:Water:  :soil:  :soil:  :soil:  :soil:  :soil:
:|:  :soil:  :--+:  :--+:  :soil:  :--+:
This design needs something holding signs that hold up the water.  Otherwise you'd need a regular block and another vertical space to do it.  The glass is to stop you from trampling the wheat.  Glass, fence, you need something for this purpose when using half-blocks in your farm.  [edit2]

[edit]P.S.  If you go with lilviepk3z's design [edit2], I'd say put the walkways right next to the waterfalls.  It gives you the same crop density, and your wheat won't go in the water.  [edit4][/b]]

Bluesmurph
  • Minecraft: bluesmurph

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:50 AM

mine looks like this

top view:
  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:   []   :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:
  :||||: []  []  []  []  []  []  []  []  []  []  []  []  []  :||||:
:||||:  []  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  []  :||||:  []  :||||:  []  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  []  :||||:
:||||:  []  :||||:  :Water:  :||||:  []  :||||:  []  :||||:  []  :||||:  :Water:  :||||:  []  :||||:
:||||:  []  :||||:  :Water:  :||||:  []  :||||:  []  :||||:  []  :||||:  :Water:  :||||:  []  :||||:
:||||:  []  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  []  :||||:  []  :||||:  []  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  []  :||||:
:||||: []  []  []  []  []  []  []  []  []  []  []  []  []  :||||:
:||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:    :||||:    :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:  :||||:

the  [] = walking space.

heres a side view:
[]  []  []  :wood:  []  []  []  :wood:  []  []  []  :wood:  []  []  []
:||||:  []  :||||:  :wood:  :||||:  []  :||||:  :wood:  :||||:  []  :||||:  :wood:  :||||:  []  :||||:
:grass:  []  :grass:  :Water:  :grass:  []  :grass:  :wood:  :grass:  []  :grass:  :Water:  :grass:  []  :grass:
:wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:

on the walls and the wood walls i have torches to light up the plants so they can grow.

Megumikizuna

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:56 AM

As of Beta 1.5, you do in fact get seeds from water harvesting.
Become one with Mother Russia, Da?
Posted Image

Jezzaman101

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

salty53 said:

Jezzaman's design is the most compact, but it forces you to sneak to harvest and makes the wheat grow more slowly than it otherwise could (the growth algorithm rewards single rows and columns and punishes 2x2 squares).

*cough* bonemeal *cough*

LaDestitute
  • Minecraft: LaDestitute

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:41 AM

Efficient but simple:

:P :||||: :D
:Diamond: :||||: :Diamond:
:Diamond: :||||: :Diamond:

Jezzaman101

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:42 AM

FinalFan said:

Jezzaman's design is only good for maximum compactness, the others are much faster to harvest.

Factoring initial startup time and rate of end user consumption into the equation, what could possibly be faster than walking around with your finger on the right mouse button?

Screature

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:01 AM

I use a smaller version of Bluesmurph's. When I go into my wheatfarm with nothing, a minute later I walk out with at least one stack of seeds and one stack of wheat (maybe more depending on how many seeds/wheat each crop gives).
It's as simple as having a couple of seeds in your hand, then go to each crop and rightclick-leftclick (cut wheat-plant seed), move along one, rightclick-leftclick, move along one, rightclick-leftclick... To me, it's very quick and efficient
No seeds or wheat are lost due to the wood walls above the water keeping all drops near you, as the wheat is on a dirt block there's zero worry of trampling, and you're replanting as you go along so you only need a single sweep round.

Sordid_Dreams

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:10 AM

Don't know if my setup is especially effective, but this is what I use:

Top view:
Cobble = Wall
Stone = Floor
Wood = Door
Wheat = Dirt with wheat on top

:Water: :Skeleton: ;) :) :cobblestone: :cobblestone: :cobblestone: :cobblestone: :cobblestone: :cobblestone: :Water:
:cobblestone: :||||: :||||: :||||: :||||: :||||: :||||: :||||: :||||: :||||: :cobblestone:
:cobblestone: :||||: :stone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :||||: :cobblestone:
:cobblestone: :||||: :stone: :||||: :||||: :stone: :||||: :||||: :stone: :||||: :cobblestone:
:cobblestone: :||||: :stone: :||||: :||||: :stone: :||||: :||||: :stone: :||||: :cobblestone:
:Water: :||||: :stone: :||||: :||||: :stone: :||||: :||||: :stone: :||||: :Water:
:cobblestone: :||||: :stone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :||||: :cobblestone:
:cobblestone: :||||: :||||: :||||: :||||: :stone: :||||: :||||: :||||: :||||: :cobblestone:
:Water: :cobblestone: :cobblestone: :cobblestone: :cobblestone: :wood: :cobblestone: :cobblestone: :cobblestone: :cobblestone: :Water:

Side view (lengthwise):

:cobblestone: :cobblestone: [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:
:cobblestone: :cobblestone: [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:
:cobblestone: :cobblestone: :||||: [] :||||: :||||: [] :||||: :||||: [] :||||: :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:
:cobblestone: :Water: :soil: [] :soil: :soil: [] :soil: :soil: [] :soil: :Water:  :cobblestone:
:cobblestone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :stone: :cobblestone:

Probably not the most space-efficient design, but allows very easy harvesting and planting with no need to sneak or watch your step. Also can be scaled indefinitely by either making the room longer and adding more side water blocks or putting multiple rooms side by side, sharing water blocks.

Posted Image

NZPhoenix
    NZPhoenix

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Minecraft: NZPhoenix

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:46 AM

Most effective can be a subjective idea... do you want condensed, quickest growing, easiest to harvest/replant, etc...?

I have wheat farm designs on my list of to-dos, maybe I'll work on it tomorrow morning, but I'm curious as to exactly what you mean by effective.

Posted Image

Desater
    Desater

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • Minecraft: Desater

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

http://www.youtube.com/v/IDO3FWPvEns

Check that video! best design IMO... and automated!

/edit: and modular! you can stack this a million times!
Posted Image