Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Compass won't point to bed spawn?


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1

skalapunk

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:06 PM

Hi all! I did a search for bed spawn questions but none of them mentioned the compass pointing towards the bed.  Sleeping in my bed does reset my spawn point (to the bed), but my compass will not point to my bed.  Is there any way I can fix that? I'd like to go exploring and find my way back to my bed-spawn, not my natural-spawn. (My house is far from my natural spawn)

Any insight is appreciated!

Register or log in to remove.

#2

Billysaurus
  • Minecraft: Billysaurus

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:08 PM

Nope!
Compasses will always only spawn to the are you first spawned it. I think Jeb gave specific reasoning for it somewhere xD

#3

salty53
    salty53

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

Not another of these topics.

By design, the compass points toward your original spawn, not your bed-spawn. This is deliberate, so there's nothing to "fix".

#4

WizardNombie

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

Well, obviously there is no way to make it point to the bed without changing the spawn using mods, or using mods to change the compass properties.

I believe, either way, that Mojang are going to make the compass point to one place at all times, not necessarily the spawn. It will make them more realistic.

I am also pretty sure that Notch said at one point that the compasses will not point to the bed spawn, but the original spawn.

In the meantime, try the Singleplayer Comands Mod, there you can physically change the spawn point so the compass will point to your bed.

Posted Image

I paid for Minecraft in early Alpha, see - http://www.minecraft...er=WizardNombie


#5

painfulleap
  • Location: Gibsons

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:10 PM

It's not supposed to point to the bed. The bed is a temporary spawn point. Breaking the bed will restore the original spawn.

The compass will always point to the original point you entered the map.  There may be some mods which will allow you to set the location the compass will point to, but by default vanilla gameplay there is currently no way to change the compass heading.

#6

KickinBird71

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:02 AM

"If your home is near your spawn, the compass is very useful to help you find your way back. Sleeping in a bed will change your spawn point, however your compass will continue to point to the previous spawn point until you have died and respawned there at least once."

This passage is from the Minecraft Wiki page for the Compass, and I think it's where the OP's confusion comes from. The quote is misleading and seems to imply that the compass will use your bed's spawn point as long as you've spawned from there at least once before (at least that's how I interpreted it). That's actually how I found this thread, from trying to find out what I did "wrong" when I tried setting the compass to my bed.
Maybe the wiki page should be reworded to prevent this confusion? Or am I just not reading the passage correctly?

#7

Amalah
    Amalah

    Obsidian Miner

  • Members
  • 1220 posts
  • Minecraft: Amalah

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:10 AM

You can use the MCEdit program to change your original spawn point, and it will make the compass point to your new spawn. Just make sure MineCraft is completely closed when you use it.

Posted Image


#8

Bedrock_miner

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:57 AM

View PostAmalah, on 28 May 2011 - 12:10 AM, said:

You can use the MCEdit program to change your original spawn point, and it will make the compass point to your new spawn. Just make sure MineCraft is completely closed when you use it.
thats a pain in the ass to do and its cheating!
Posted Image

#9

spiderwelll

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

its not cheating, its answering the OP question

#10

yuyuhakushi
  • Minecraft: nicocjc

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:25 PM

cheating implies unfair advantages.  quite frankly, does it matter much if you just change the original spawn if you use a bed anyways?

< Posted Image >

help me or die inside


#11

tharglet
    tharglet

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 929 posts
  • Minecraft: tharglet

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

I use coordinates. Some people see this as cheating, some people use it :).

If you press F3, you can note down the X and the Z to places of interest. Y is height, so in most cases, there's no need to note the Y coordinate down. Each minecraft block is 1 unit, so there's no need to note down any numbers after the decimal point.
Posted Image
Here there be dragons. Please click to help it grow :) (If it's in fog, it's unwell and not in need of clicks)

#12

Mustache_Guy
  • Location: California, USA
  • Minecraft: McAngusYoung

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:24 PM

View Posttharglet, on 23 November 2011 - 01:28 PM, said:

I use coordinates. Some people see this as cheating, some people use it :).

If you press F3, you can note down the X and the Z to places of interest. Y is height, so in most cases, there's no need to note the Y coordinate down. Each minecraft block is 1 unit, so there's no need to note down any numbers after the decimal point.
Wow, people think that using coordinates is cheating. That's pretty sad, especially considering that is how a lot of real life navigation is done nowadays.
Lucifer - "So you're willing to die for a pile of cockroaches? Why?"
Gabriel - "Because dad was right. They are better than us."
Lucifer - "They are broken, flawed, abortions!"
Gabriel - "Damn right they're flawed, but a lot of them try to do better."

#13

ikaroka
    ikaroka

    Stone Miner

  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

Your spawn point is in the middle of the North pole.
Posted Image

#14

rodabon
    rodabon

    End Dweller

  • Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

View PostKickinBird71, on 28 May 2011 - 12:02 AM, said:

"If your home is near your spawn, the compass is very useful to help you find your way back. Sleeping in a bed will change your spawn point, however your compass will continue to point to the previous spawn point until you have died and respawned there at least once."

This passage is from the Minecraft Wiki page for the Compass, and I think it's where the OP's confusion comes from. The quote is misleading and seems to imply that the compass will use your bed's spawn point as long as you've spawned from there at least once before (at least that's how I interpreted it). That's actually how I found this thread, from trying to find out what I did "wrong" when I tried setting the compass to my bed.
Maybe the wiki page should be reworded to prevent this confusion? Or am I just not reading the passage correctly?

I don't use beds, but I think that statement by the wiki may be out of date.  At one time the compass did change to your bed spawn if memory serves.
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

#15

Tohle
    Tohle

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:10 AM

Only if only the next update will change it

#16

DSoloha
    DSoloha

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 501 posts
  • Location: At my computer, obviously
  • Minecraft: dsoloha12

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

No, the compass won't point to your spawn point, although at one point, I believe it did. The only way to find your house now would be to write down the coordinates (f3, or fn+f3 on laptops, top left corner) and use these to find your house.
[Overused Signature Goes Here]

#17

minecraftcomputer

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

As said above the compass points to your spawn location (where you last slept), if you haven't slept it will point towards your original spawn location.

#18

twayney
    twayney

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:29 AM

I prefer using Rei's Minimap mod. Just set a waypoint at your bed and you can always see it from anywhere in the world.

#19

RurouniTim
  • Location: The End
  • Minecraft: RurouniTim
  • Xbox:RurouniTim

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

View Postrodabon, on 23 November 2011 - 09:16 PM, said:

I don't use beds, but I think that statement by the wiki may be out of date.  At one time the compass did change to your bed spawn if memory serves.
Yeah, I remember that also. Now it just points to the original spawn. Personally, I'd rather it point to my newest spawn point, but I'm not really complaining. I barely use compasses anyways.
Imma sign my name because you TOTALLY can't read it right above my profile pic and everyone loves to see more of my name.

-RurounileftyTim

#20

sessingo
    sessingo

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:09 AM

Hi,

Please take a look at my mod - it does exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.minecraft...-bed-spawn-mod/

- Simon