• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[1.5.2] [SSP/SMP] Better Than Wolves (Now With Hardcore Brewing) Total Conversion! [V4.89PHILLIP upd: Jan 17]

smp btw mod evil

• Please log in to reply
38834 replies to this topic

Sarudak
    Sarudak

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

I think hardcore torches would be of value if it served as a motivator to update to more advanced/easier to maintain/permanent lighting solutions later. But it's not really that practical because of the damage it would do to peoples existing worlds unless it was an option. And even then the more advanced lighting systems in minecraft currently are not that interesting. That said assuming light plays a similar defensive role in RTH making the whole lighting mechanic more of a challenging and interesting progression would be incredibly awesome.

Register or log in to remove.

BlackTempleGaurdian

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

Okay I'll admit I saw this in a post on the BTW  Off-Topic forum, but given how light was being discussed here as well I thought it relevant.
Why not have normal torches go out, say after a certain time or in certain conditions, and have new torches crafted with nethercoal in place of normal coal that act like the current torches?
Posted Image

FlowerChild

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

View PostBlackTempleGaurdian, on 27 February 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

Why not have normal torches go out, say after a certain time or in certain conditions, and have new torches crafted with nethercoal in place of normal coal that act like the current torches?

A better question would be "why would you do that?"

As for why not...mass destruction of old worlds.
Posted Image

MAZD1X1E

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

Just been reading the changelog for the latest snapshot. Saw this in there:

Mobs can now ride stuff that rides other stuff

and just had to ask some questions (which Mojang clearly haven't asked themselves) which are:

WTH?

What possible use can (taking the screenshot as an example) a skeleton riding a pig riding a spider have?

Is there any brainless and inane idea that the community ask for which Mojang won't implement?

Edited by Mikko_blu, 27 February 2013 - 03:33 AM.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

BlackTempleGaurdian

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

View PostFlowerChild, on 27 February 2013 - 02:11 AM, said:

A better question would be "why would you do that?"

As for why not...mass destruction of old worlds.
Well it would make the earlier game tech tree more dangerous and, in my opinion (not that it counts for a lot), fun. It'd add a level of interactivity that lighting doesn't have at the moment with torches being so... static.

As for preserving old worlds, the vanilla torches could always be the ones that don't go out, just with a changed recipe.
Posted Image

Mikko_blu
    Mikko_blu

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1688 posts
  • Minecraft: Mikko_blu

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

View PostMAZD1X1E, on 27 February 2013 - 02:15 AM, said:

and just had to ask some questions (which Mojang clearly haven't asked themselves) which are:

WTH?

What possible use can (taking the screenshot as an example) a skeleton riding a pig riding a spider have?

Is there any brainless and inane idea that the community ask for which Mojang won't implement?

What i read was:

Added the "entity nightmare" ability, effectively killing your stupid crap computers

barcode
    barcode

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostMAZD1X1E, on 27 February 2013 - 02:15 AM, said:

Mobs can now ride stuff that rides other stuff

WTH?

Posted Image

Like that?

I really hope this didn't take them more than 5 seconds to program, otherwise a complete waste of time, resources and braincells. I fail to see a single application of this making any kind of sense or being of any use whatsoever. Can anyone enlighten me as to WHY they did that? Maybe I just fail to get it...

Oldmarrieddude

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostBlackTempleGaurdian, on 27 February 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

Okay I'll admit I saw this in a post on the BTW  Off-Topic forum, but given how light was being discussed here as well I thought it relevant.

I like the idea of increasing early game difficulty;however, finite torches would simply irritate players and not really improve game play.  Even if the finite torches lasted say a week r/l time it would be a total PITA to have to relight your base every week.  Especially for players who have a limited amount of play time.

EveryNameIWantIsTaken
  • Minecraft: DxPanxD

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

View Postbarcode, on 27 February 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

Can anyone enlighten me as to WHY they did that? Maybe I just fail to get it...

Map makers.

Spider jockeys, creepers riding bats, skeleton totem poles raining arrows down upon you. Stuff like that.  

It seems like a neat tool for map makers, but whether it was worth it really depends on if you even play or create custom maps in the first place.

BlackTempleGaurdian

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostOldmarrieddude, on 27 February 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

I like the idea of increasing early game difficulty;however, finite torches would simply irritate players and not really improve game play.  Even if the finite torches lasted say a week r/l time it would be a total PITA to have to relight your base every week.  Especially for players who have a limited amount of play time.
But... You're argument about those with limited play time completely collapses when you get to the part where they'd only go out after so much play time. So if you have limited amounts of play time, the only difference might be that your torches seem to last longer. Also it's not like you can't get infinite light that wont go out as soon as you visit the nether is it now?
Posted Image

barcode
    barcode

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostEveryNameIWantIsTaken, on 27 February 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

Map makers.

Spider jockeys, creepers riding bats, skeleton totem poles raining arrows down upon you. Stuff like that.  

It seems like a neat tool for map makers, but whether it was worth it really depends on if you even play or create custom maps in the first place.
Ok... but why multiple stacks of mobs? I can see that a skeleton riding a bat might be a neat feature in a map - although still really weird - but a skellie riding a bat riding a pig riding a minecart riding a creeper.... ???

I'd rather have something that I can ride, like a horse or a mule, while doing battle (and not holding a carrot on a stick), that would make for an interesting (map making) feature.

Mason11987

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostBlackTempleGaurdian, on 27 February 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

But... You're argument about those with limited play time completely collapses when you get to the part where they'd only go out after so much play time. So if you have limited amounts of play time, the only difference might be that your torches seem to last longer. Also it's not like you can't get infinite light that wont go out as soon as you visit the nether is it now?

The torch thing just doesn't work.  Relighting just doesn't make sense.  Large scale maintenance to make sure your everything doens't get blown up just isn't fun.  If you want the early game to be harder then that could be done simply by just making mobs more dangerous or food less effective.  This wouldn't be frustrating to players (who would just see torches vanish) it would be early to learn from for brand new players (enemies are really dangerous) and it would be really really simple to make.

There's no reason to add annoyance to fix a "problem" that isn't all that big of a problem.  FC for example "fixed" things being too safe by requiring players spend time in the nether, which is inherently more dangerous, he made the dragon harder not by some annoying tactic like making the towers taller, but by making endermen charge en-masse.  Torches going out just doesn't work.
Posted Image

DragomirTheSlav

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Alright, so no to the torches :P Rest of the things I'd love to see though.

Aside from that, there is one little tweak I think BTW might use. And that is about two other animations for the windmill. Nothing complicated, first one just about twice as fast and slightly "bouncing" - as you can see when you try to destroy a windmill, and a third one, very fast (three times as fast as the first one) bouncing very much.
What purpose would it serve?
Now, I didn't have that many problems with windmills in my desert BTW world. But this time I've built my windmill in a rainforest. As you might imagine even with a security lever I get my gearbox blown up from time to time, as Minecraft weather is pretty unpredictable. Now, about 1 or 2 minutes before the rain our windmill would spin faster (and perhaps also give a bit more power), due to the increased speed of wind. But then, as soon the rain starts, the third - fastest animation would play, saying that we have only 30 seconds before our gearbox blows up. This way, there would be more apparent signs of when we will have to turn the mill off and why does the gearbox blow up - because up until now I didn't know of that feature, and was surprised to find my windmill ruined (I don't read much wiki except for recipes, I like to test things out on my own and find the right ways to use them).

ColdCrawdad7

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

The "Mobs can now ride stuff that rides other stuff" is maybe only a consequence of an another fix in the code. Maybe to add new mounts or mounted mobs, something like that.

Blazara
    Blazara

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Minecraft: Blazara

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostDragomirTheSlav, on 26 February 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

As I said above, after "few weeks" you would look for other, better sources of light, using torches only for mineshafts you don't plan on getting back to. Of course 3 days is enough to get into a cave and get back. And if you do want to spend more time in a cave redstone lighting for checkpoint shacks and corridors is a very good idea. Perhaps redstone torches could emite more light as well.

Oh indeed, thanks Posted Image

And pretty much make everybodies mob farms mean zilch at the same time? Lighting up caves and mineshafts is a necessity for a quasi efficient mob farm. No. Just no. Also, electricity? I hate it when people call redstone electricity. For one; it behaves nothing like electricity other than it's able to "power" things, and has two states; on, or off. The freedom of redstone in the fact that it ISN'T electricity is what makes it so great! It allows itself to have quirks (which Mojang seem to view as bugs; see block update detectors) and interesting features that won't make people cry about realism.

View PostBlazara, on 10 June 2011 - 09:32 PM, said:

I am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo
Posted Image

thekillman
    thekillman

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Surprise surprise

The snapshot has a B version to fix bugs introduced in the previous snapshot. Seriously? these are real, game-breaking bugs. don't they check ANYTHING before releasing stuff?

BlackTempleGaurdian

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Well it's not like it's a full on public update, but still if it's that obvious a bug...

Not that I could do any better, just looking through the code for wheat growth gives me a headache. On that note, my plans for an addon mode that introduces non-perma-torches has been temporarily foiled, curses!

Also, how long have we been able to craft regular torches from nethercoal? O.o I was getting the materials I'd need to test the new torch when I got round to adding it and to my surprise I find half the works been done for me (having regular torches made from nethercoal).
Posted Image

Mason11987

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

View PostBlackTempleGaurdian, on 27 February 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

Well it's not like it's a full on public update, but still if it's that obvious a bug...

Not that I could do any better, just looking through the code for wheat growth gives me a headache. On that note, my plans for an addon mode that introduces non-perma-torches has been temporarily foiled, curses!

Also, how long have we been able to craft regular torches from nethercoal? O.o I was getting the materials I'd need to test the new torch when I got round to adding it and to my surprise I find half the works been done for me (having regular torches made from nethercoal).

A really long time.  I can't remember having nethercoal and not being able to make torches from it.
Posted Image

ItchyFlea

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

View Postthekillman, on 27 February 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

Surprise surprise

The snapshot has a B version to fix bugs introduced in the previous snapshot. Seriously? these are real, game-breaking bugs. don't they check ANYTHING before releasing stuff?
That's exactly why these are snapshots and not releases. So people can test them, find bugs, and report those bugs so they can be fixed prior to a proper release. Posted Image
Some bugs will still be missed, but I don't think any of the updates have been as full of bugs as Beta 1.6 was. (Which is ironic since Beta 1.6 was a bugfix update.)

I swear to god I must be the only true optimist left on the planet.

FlowerChild said:

See...I kept telling everyone that wolves are evil despicable creatures, but would anyone listen? No, of course not, and now you're all ­******, so "haha...told you so".

Oldmarrieddude

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

View PostBlackTempleGaurdian, on 27 February 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

True; but not everyone makes a mad dash to the nether.   In a new world I don't even consider going to the nether until I have a decent network of markers/roads to places that I may need to frequent such as villages and other biomes.  I also have my base fairly well laid out with all my animals, pens and a plan for where my automated functions will be.  So for players who don't rush through finite lighting would be a total waste of play time; however, for players who do hurry to the nether then finite lighting would not be a big deal- which of course makes it a relative waste of FC's valuable time.

Issue with planters/hemp.

I have 7 planters side by side with hemp planted to feed my chickens.  Behind the top half of each plant i have a block pushed by a sticky piston set on the third setting.  The pistons are attached to a 24 minute timer to allow all of the plants to mature before activating.  This set up works fine but every third or 4th activation 6 of the 7 plants are completely harvested(top and bottom)  while the 7th plant is harvested normally leaving the bottom half in tact.  I have tried taking out the planters and using newly created ones but still have the same issue.  I have an identical set up stacked above this one and it works perfectly fine.  anyone have any suggestions or is this a known issue?  I have pictures on imagur if they are needed.  http://oldmarrieddude.imgur.com/all/

Edited by Mikko_blu, 28 February 2013 - 05:30 AM.
: Merged