Peldan
    Peldan

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Minecraft: Peldan

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:24 PM

Hello!

Am I the only one here that has NEVER NEVER NEVER been happy with even ONE of your buildings? I have played since what.. indev and never been happy with my houses :iapprove:

I create a world, gather some materials, maybe mine 20 diamonds, build a house and when I am done it always look the same, ugly.

I don't know how to spice up my buildings, like combinations/outside decorations etc. Please give me some tips!
Or at least link pics of some nice looking houses so I can get inspiration!
I always delete my world after like 3 days and make a new one :/

Thanks in advance.

Register or log in to remove.

Devchar96
  • Minecraft: Devchar96
  • Xbox:Devchar96

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

I usually just start off with a rectangular room. Then I build wings and extra floors, and landscaping is always the last thing I do. My tip would be to make it roomy (high ceilings) and remember- there's ALWAYS room for improvement. Don't be afraid to rip apart a wall and do rennovations once in a while.
Posted Image

Rest in peace CapitolCraft. May 2012 - August 2012.

wallofchaos

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

just browse the forums. tons of idea's there.

Another thing ive done is download other ppl's maps and play with them in MCedit or just mess around in game to get idea's TONS of pictures all over these forums. Use a variety of materials, frame windows with 1 block of wood or some other material thats different from your regular house. Build a roof.. A chimney. Sidewalks Tree's, Go to the nether and get glowstone or nether rock . set the nether rock on fire for a nice fireplace that stays lit forever.

I know how you feel. I get stuck in the same rut. Build monster traps or cactus farms or something. Get creative with TNT. dig a mineshaft straight down and nuke it. youll be amazed at what you find. :(
I support every plugin and mod I use.

Peldan
    Peldan

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will get straight to collecting lots of gunpowder then!

Going to blow myself some holes, make a nice little house on the edge of the hole, and have a mine in that hole :)

Peldan
    Peldan

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:43 PM

Whoa, I just made myself a new world with a random seed, turned around and saw these awesome chunk err0rz:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

shinichi31
  • Minecraft: shinichi31

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:46 PM

i always thought that my buildings were great.. until you guys posted pics and videos of your world.  :Pig:
my brain failed to get creative ideas, that's why i always,ALWAYS steal ideas from the forum  :(

brain, i am disappoint.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Peldan
    Peldan

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:50 PM

Wow, really. Wow.

I found like 15+ other chunk errors, this world is beautiful. Lava/water and stuff.
http://data.fuskbugg...chunkerrors.zip

Full of nice pictures, I promise it's worth to take a look at! And it's no viruses. I am not an idiot. Feel free to scan it yourself :3

petrus4
    petrus4

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:05 PM

-  Use a decent texture pack.  I suck at architecture myself, but I use Glimmar's Steampunk, (Google it) and that makes pretty much anything look good.  The Painterly Pack can be really nice, as well.  My brother also uses Mixcraft.

-  Obsidian trim/bands/brackets.  Make your walls 5 blocks high, and add obsidian bands as the second and fourth blocks.

-  Make an uneven/peaked roof, and line the top with half blocks.  In addition to looking good, this will keep mobs off.

-  Use plants decoratively.  In my main map, I use wheat out the front near water.  It creates a very nice effect, and increases the amount of food I get.  The Steampunk texture pack also has some beautiful ferns, to replace both flower colours.  Use trees, as well.  Search for "treefarm timelapse," on YouTube, and plant rows of trees on blocks in the manner shown by that video, for avenues.

-  A big room nearly always looks better than a small one, I've found; even though they're harder to make.  Have high ceilings, and add glass.

-  Use Netherrack as a light source.  If you build out of cobblestone or obsidian with it, your buildings will have a medieval type look.  My main character in World of Warcraft was an Orc, and I like how lit Netherrack can add an Orcish type look to my buildings.

Posted Image

wazaa
    wazaa

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 806 posts
  • Minecraft: wazaa_k

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:11 PM

Peldan said:

Whoa, I just made myself a new world with a random seed, turned around and saw these awesome chunk err0rz:
-snip-
Posted Image
-snip-

You could build cool house inside that inset.

Drsaz
    Drsaz

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:26 PM

wazaa said:

Peldan said:

-snip-
Posted Image
-snip-

You could build cool house inside that inset.

Oh yes! I would build a floating house in there and have bridges going into the walls...
Arguing over the internet is like the Special Olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded.
Posted Image

Peldan
    Peldan

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

You mean having a house in the middle and bridges on each side going to the edges?

wazaa
    wazaa

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 806 posts
  • Minecraft: wazaa_k

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

Peldan said:

You mean having a house in the middle and bridges on each side going to the edges?

Not exactly. I mean building house which kind of complete that hill. Making it hill again without ugly inset. But that adding piece is really a house.

Oh, I didn't read that other post. My bad. :RFlower:

Admiral2003
  • Minecraft: Admiral2003

I never liked one of my buildings until i got a texture pack, then everything became beautiful.

Just build how you like, you're not getting judged.

Come visit the The Port of Dawnbridge,  A story thread with fantastic architecture.

Lemonstream

Have a theme for your house. No torches, only lava and lightstone? A lot of water features? Full of natural light? There are endless ideas. For futuristic houses, I suggest using a lot of smooth stone half-blocks, smooth stone, glass and iron blocks (if you can afford).
The basic idea is this:

[]  :stone:  :stone:  :stone:  :stone: :stone: []
[]  :Glass: :Glass: :Glass: :Glass: :Glass:  []
[]  :Glass: :Glass: :Glass: :wood: :Glass:  []
[]  :stair:  :stair:  :stair:  :wood:  :stair:  []
:_:  :stair:  :stair:  :stair:  :stair:  :stair:  :_:
:grass:  :grass:  :grass:  :grass:  :grass:  :grass:  :grass:

Or if you want a nice cabin, you should use mostly wood, bookshelves and some cobblestone.

:log:  :wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :log:
:log:  :wood:  :Glass:  :Glass:  :wood:  :log:
:log:  :RFlower:  :Diamond:  :YFlower:  :cobblestone:  :log:

Another thing that can help you is to look furniture tv-shows or whatever they have if you have a tv. They can inspire a lot.

kevin18
    kevin18

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:45 PM

Check this link out, with someone who had the same problem as you. However the community helped him build an amazing house, and it shows his before and after pics. This could also somewhat help you :SSSS:
http://www.minecraft...f=1020&t=259918

Bartender
  • Minecraft: Harr harr!

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

This is how I build my basic house.
1. Make a 10x10 square with logs.
2.Make the corners 4x high.
3. Repeat 2. And you will get a frame.
4. Fill in the frame with planks.
5. Get stone slabs and make a upside down V roof.
6. Punch out the planks and put in windows.
7. Replace the floor with planks.
8. Place doors.
Small fast and looks good. Also: Get a texture pack.

Playing Minecraft since early Alpha, before sneaking was added.

Lord of the Craft

rainbowgasm

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:58 PM

never build your house out of one solid type of block. add frames or trim the corners/sides with something.

a solid square of cobblestone or wood planks never looks good. Even a block of nothing but bricks is bad.

you can trim wood houses with either logs or cobblestone, cobblestone houses with either logs or smooth stone, bricks with logs or cobblestone. etc. You always have more options than that of course.

also: try to pick a theme for your house and mimic that.

Posted Image

MangaCleaver

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:02 PM

Plz can you give us the seed i have so many ideas for that whe i get minecraft tommorow

if u cant find it use this http://mc.42nex.us/
thx
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Click them Plz & watch them grow, If they are foggy that means they are sick dont waste time clicking  them only click the ones that are not fogged

Peldan
    Peldan

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:04 PM

The problem is, that the world is full of errors. None of these will probably show up if I send you the seed. Just errors.

MangaCleaver

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

Peldan said:

The problem is, that the world is full of errors. None of these will probably show up if I send you the seed. Just errors.

I dont mind Just try plz.
Anyway it looks nice even withought the errors
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Click them Plz & watch them grow, If they are foggy that means they are sick dont waste time clicking  them only click the ones that are not fogged