• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

What's my server ip?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

rumpefighter

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:53 AM

Iv'e just made my own server on Alpha MP, but i can't find out what the ip of my server is.

Register or log in to remove.

warriorsfury

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:54 AM

www.whatsmyip.com ftw
Posted Image

Imacleverusername
  • Minecraft: ImacleverUN

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:44 AM

warriorsfury said:

Actually, it is www.whatismyip.com
Posted ImagePosted Image    Posted ImagePosted Image

warriorsfury

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:58 AM

my bad sorry
Posted Image

axeblade346

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:31 AM

Some ISP's gives you a changing IP so check out http://www.dyndns.com/ - there are a lot of free webpage links to a changing ip there. Not 40.10.12.13 , 3 days later 40.15.12.16 but always myserver.kicks-ass.net.

http://www.minecraft...?f=1012&t=26192
There is a walk through on my other post. - read from - WWW Time - Get your map online

Morrolan
    Morrolan

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:15 AM

Though, if the server is on the same network as your PC, you need to connect to it with the internal ip.
External server browser: Created by me, made for you.
Not working atm, and will not get updated in the near future, sorry.

Flippeh
    Flippeh

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:05 PM

People who do not know how to get their own IP addresses should not be allowed to make servers, d'uh. Same for local vs outside IP. This is getting ridiculous.

I know how harsh that sounds, but reading over this forum makes me CRY.

Biglulu said:

Didn't you know? He is a douchebag.

(Conculsion met by siginificant evidence of Flippeh insulting people)

Morrolan
    Morrolan

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

I know what you mean, but we can't just say 'You're to dumb to manage a server, join an existing one please', now can we?

Ksg89
    Ksg89

Carpenter

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

Morrolan said:

I know what you mean, but we can't just say 'You're to dumb to manage a server, join an existing one please', now can we?
Err yes. I you dont have the resources (Decent machine, decent connection (more than DSL)) or the basic know how on managing the server (software, routers,  firewalls, preventing 'hackers'. Afterall you are giving out your IP address and known open ports. ( you would be surprised how many people simply DMZ and run an open VNC :))

I totally understand its 'unfair' but I'm sure players dont want laggy servers, and the hosts don't want to get hacked.

Morrolan
    Morrolan

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:17 PM

See, 90% of the servers created won't last long anyway (bad connection->people leave-> host is alone). But even if most of the servers whose hosts need help won't last long, they have the right to try to host a succesful server. And if they need help, then that's what forums are for.
As for the hacking: It may sound harsh, but it is not my job to teach them the basic rules of the internet. ;)

Edit: We're getting completely offtopic here.  :(

rumpefighter

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

It's just a small server for me and my friends to play on...

no need to get rude (or something like that) here. I'm fully aware of that i can't run a big server.

Morrolan
    Morrolan

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

Sorry, might have been a bit... arrogant, but seeing that there are so many threads with people having no idea on how to set up a server, even with a sticky which explains it can be very frustrating.
Anyway, hope you enjoy playing SMP with your friends. :P

The_Fool76
    The_Fool76

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3032 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

Flippeh said:

People who do not know how to get their own IP addresses should not be allowed to make servers, d'uh. Same for local vs outside IP. This is getting ridiculous.

Eh I look at it as helping to educate the next generation of potential IT folks.  Back in my day, it was kids setting up BBS' now it's minecraft servers.  ;)
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.
Posted Image

Flippeh
    Flippeh

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

Morrolan said:

Sorry, might have been a bit... arrogant, but seeing that there are so many threads with people having no idea on how to set up a server, even with a sticky which explains it can be very frustrating.

Same goes for me, most of my posts looks pretty provocant and arrogant, pardon if it appeared that way, but it has all been written down, people just have to read for 5 minutes and have everything answered instead of the solution spread over different threads ("How do I set up a server?", "How do I find my IP?", "People can't connect", "How do I forward my ports?", ...).

The_Fool76 said:

Eh I look at it as helping to educate the next generation of potential IT folks.  Back in my day, it was kids setting up BBS' now it's minecraft servers.  :D

Sure, but I take that these people were willing to read up on stuff unknown to them. We have all these informations, they are not hard to find and written in a way that everyone could understand. Yet every day we get the same posts.

Biglulu said:

Didn't you know? He is a douchebag.

(Conculsion met by siginificant evidence of Flippeh insulting people)

The_Fool76
    The_Fool76

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3032 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:00 PM

Flippeh said:

Sure, but I take that these people were willing to read up on stuff unknown to them. We have all these informations, they are not hard to find and written in a way that everyone could understand. Yet every day we get the same posts.

You have a point.  
Methinks Notch needs to hire a tech writer to write up a manual for him so we can just say RTFM and be done with it.
>_>

(I say hire, because in my experience most developers/programmers tend to write for their own level which means the rest of the world is left scratching their heads.)
Posted Image

Colonel Thirty Two

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

Or we can write a manual, sticky it, and say RTFS (R T F stickies).

The_Fool76
    The_Fool76

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3032 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

Oh you mean like this one?
http://www.minecraft...?f=1013&t=25110

Perhaps we should just start slapping people with that link but then we might loose our reputation of being all warm and cuddly.  Decisions decisions.
Posted Image

wjykk
    wjykk

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Minecraft: *

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

The_Fool76 said:

Bookmarked for future noobs.

ianfitz100

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

Flippeh said:

Same.
Also, the people who ask these questions most likely don't know how to open their port, then they make another thread saying "How do I open my port". Then they say "What do I with the thingy I downloaded".
They might as well join an existing one.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

cchromium

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:47 PM

ianfitz100 said:

Flippeh said:

Same.
Also, the people who ask these questions most likely don't know how to open their port, then they make another thread saying "How do I open my port". Then they say "What do I with the thingy I downloaded".
They might as well join an existing one.

But if they join an existing one, how oh wow will they ever get to become ADMIN?!