Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

WorldPainter v1.8.5 - graphical & interactive map creator/generator

• Please log in to reply
7333 replies to this topic

Zeccotine

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

View PostCaptain_Chaos, on 17 April 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

Huh? I'm not aware of this. What do you mean exactly with "left click didn't work"? Left-clicking where, with which tool selected? What were you expecting it to do, and what happened instead?

Oops sorry, I meant RIGHT click didn't work in 0.7.3

EDIT: (For removing biomes)

Register or log in to remove.

Captain_Chaos
  • Minecraft: Captain_Chaos

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

View PostZeccotine, on 17 April 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

Oops sorry, I meant RIGHT click didn't work in 0.7.3

EDIT: (For removing biomes)
Ah ok. That's strange, nothing has changed in that functionality in version 0.8. Are you sure it didn't work? Like I told Babadoc above (although it turned out he wasn't actually talking about biomes), you can't remove biomes, just replace them with different ones. Right-clicking with a biome selected replaces the biomes with the defaults (either the automatic biome determined by the terrain and any layers in use, or the biome which would be there in Minecraft as calculated by the minecraft.jar). It only works if you actually have a biome scheme selected, otherwise there is no default to change it to.
I made WorldPainter & the PorteCoulissante & RetractableBridge Bukkit plugins (visit mc.pepsoft.org in Minecraft). Please donate!

Zeccotine

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

View PostCaptain_Chaos, on 17 April 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Ah ok. That's strange, nothing has changed in that functionality in version 0.8. Are you sure it didn't work?

Well I reopened 0.7.3 and that worked... It's a mystery. I can't remember the error. If I have it back in 0.8 I will make a screenshot or something.

Captain_Chaos

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

(Repost because I want more people to see it.)

Testers wanted!

I'm working up to the next major release of WorldPainter and I'm looking for people who want to test the next version. Here is what is new in this version:
  • The Great Shift of 2012! The coordinate system has been rotated and shifted so that it now corresponds to Minecraft's and north is now finally up! The consequence is that worlds imported before the Great Shift can no longer be merged using this version of WorldPainter. If you have imported worlds which you absolutely need to be able to merge, keep a copy of version 0.7.3 around! But for most people that should not be necessary; you can just import the map again with the new version. Also, biome calculation for Minecraft versions is disabled for worlds created before the Great Shift (automatic and custom biomes still work)
  • As part of the Great Shift a world rotation function has been added. WorldPainter will automatically offer to rotate existing worlds when you load them, so that north is up. You can also rotate worlds later using the new Rotate... menu item in the Edit menu, which allows you to rotate it 90 or 180 degrees. The rotate function rotates all dimensions
  • New parallel export process which makes use of multiple cores and minimises disk I/O and is much quicker than the old process
  • Added configurable height contour lines. By default they are turned on and displayed every ten (vertical) blocks. They can be configured using the toolbar button or the Configure view... (Ctrl+V) menu item in the View menu
  • New function to export the world image as an image file. It is accessible through the menu as File -> Export -> Export as image file.... The Export as Minecraft map... function has been moved to this new Export sub menu as well. The image will be exported as displayed on screen, with the exception of the grid and the overlay image (but including the contour lines), so make sure to configure the visible layers as you want them before exporting the image
  • New function to export the world image as a height map. It is accessible through the menu as File -> Export -> Export as height map.... A height map is a grey scale image file which is brighter for higher areas. The image format to use will be determined from the file name extension you use. If you don't type an extension, PNG will be used. If your world is higher than 256, make sure to use a format which supports 16-bit grey scale (such as PNG)! And be aware that not all software can work (well) with 16-bit grey scale images. Also take into account that the 16-bit grey scale height maps will be extremely dark, and may look black, because even the highest world height (2048) is only a small fraction of the highest possible value in a 16-bit grey scale height map (65535)
  • Added toolbar for quick access to often used menu items and draw attention to some little known functionality
  • Added toolbar to 3D view with rotate buttons to draw attention to the view rotation functionality
  • Decreased maximum memory allocation for 32-bit Windows systems to 1250 MB in an effort to reduce JVM startup errors
This is a major release with some big structural changes, so I thought I'd ask for some volunteers to test it and give me feedback before I release it generally. So this version won't show up as an automatic update yet. Instead, if you want to test it, download it here:

32-bit Windows (zip)
64-bit Windows (zip)

Mac OS X (tgz)

UNIX/Linux (tar.gz)
deb file
rpm file

Please note: the merge functionality is temporarily disabled in this version, you don't have to report that!

Also note: if you don't use an installer, you'll have to follow the instructions on this page to allocate enough memory to WorldPainter! If you don't you might not get the benefits of the new export process.

If you want to test this version, please download and install it and try things out. I'm especially curious to know whether existing worlds stil work correctlty, whether the rotation function does not introduce problems, and whether the new export process (which works on a region by region basis) produces any artefacts along region boundaries. Regions are 32 by 32 chunks (four by four tiles), which is 512 by 512 blocks, so region boundaries are at x = -513 -> -512, x = -1 -> 0, x = 511 -> 512, x = 1023 -> 1024, etc. and at z = -513 -> -512, z = -1 -> 0, z = 511 -> 512, etc.

Please send me your feedback and test results as private messages so as not to clutter up this thread! And thank you in advance for testing this new version!

(Repost because I want more people to see it.)
I made WorldPainter & the PorteCoulissante & RetractableBridge Bukkit plugins (visit mc.pepsoft.org in Minecraft). Please donate!

Captain_Chaos

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

I did a test to see how much faster the new export process is. I exported a 50 by 50 tile world (completely default and unaltered) on version 0.7.3, which took three and a half hours. Exporting the same world on version 0.8 took twenty five minutes. You could say it has become slightly faster. Posted Image

This was on a machine with a Intel Core 2 Extreme (quad core) processor at 3 GHz, and with 1250 MB allocated in both cases (the new default maximum for 32-bit Windows machines).

So if you have large worlds, please take a look at version 0.8! See the post above for download links.

To everyone getting "The JVM could not be started" errors:

Please try installing the test version I posted about above. It may fix the problem you are having. Please let me know if you have tried it and whether it worked or not!

1million
    1million

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

EDIT: Nevermind...

Posted Image

Muzuh
    Muzuh

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1578 posts
  • Minecraft: Muzuh
  • Xbox:Muzuh

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

I shall test!

Muzuh
    Muzuh

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1578 posts
  • Minecraft: Muzuh
  • Xbox:Muzuh

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:52 AM

Great update!! Love the new image feature. Didn't test them all, but I still think it's great! Keep it up!

NovaStorm1
  • Minecraft: reaphavoic

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1
at org.pepsoft.minecraft.ChunkImpl2.getBlockType(ChunkImpl2.java:137)
at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.WorldRegion.getBlockTypeAt(WorldRegion.java:82)
at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.layers.exporters.TreesExporter.render(TreesExporter.java:68)
at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.WorldExporter.secondPass(WorldExporter.java:208)
at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.WorldExporter.exportRegion(WorldExporter.java:467)

WorldPainter version: 0.8

java.version: 1.6.0_31
java.vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.vm.version: 20.6-b01
java.vm.vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.vm.name: Java HotSpot™ Client VM
os.name: Windows 7
os.arch: x86
os.version: 6.1
user.home: C:\Users\Nova Storm
user.dir: C:\Program Files\WorldPainter
user.country: GB
user.language: en

Free memory: 404283976 bytes
Total memory size: 973602816 bytes
Max memory size: 1267073024 bytes

World name: Generated World
Seed: 2309267396757680563
Bounds: -2, -2 => 2, 2
Height: 256
Number of tiles: 25
Layers in use: Biome, Lava
Border: VOID @ 62
Sub surface material: STONE
Water height: 62

Operation: Biome
Radius: 15
Brush: Constant Circle (radius=15, brushShape=CIRCLE, level=0.5)/org.pepsoft.worldpainter.operations.BitmapBrush@1e6f0ef
Level: 0.5/1.0
Zoom: 1
Hidden layers: []

I got this error with the 0.8 testing program when I tried to export a world with a forest setting

Yrthis
    Yrthis

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

I got an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException during export too.

Spoiler:

zc4r3cr0w

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

hmm i don´t know if this is abug but i'm trying to make a big world for my server so a set the tile thingy to a thousand and it starts generate but after 5-10 minutes it stops to generate. it does not close the program the generation window just closes. just leaving feedback in case it´s a bug, mabey it´s just limited at like 100(ooh also i tried 500 tiles same thing)

MSTABarrie

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

I first want to say this is the most useful tool I have ever come across in minecraft. At first I used voxel sniper which would end up taking me a day for just a small area and was going very slowly. Once I stumbled across this I imported my world and with in 2 hours had gotten the hang of it and finished my 2000 by 2000 map which would have taken like 40 hours with voxel! Thankyou so much you saved me do much time.

I now have some suggestions for tools to make it even easier.
1. A new brush similar to the water/lava fill tool but it fills painting over the land. So if I had a valley by clicking a block it would paint all the blocks in the valley below it so the transition from let's say sand to grass is flawless compared to painting it by hand.

2.It would be cool of there was an option to disable or enable a depth meter beside the brush (outside of the dotted brush) that would show the depth. Because it is somewhat difficult to be lifting terrain while watching the depth meter on the botom while maintaing accuracy.
Posted Image

SirusKing
  • Minecraft: SirusKing

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

For some reason i got this Error when i updated!
The JVM could not be started. The Maximum Heap Size might be too large or an antivirus or Firewall tool could block the Execution!
Posted Image

Gearheadgeek

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

This is an intresting concept but it takes a while to load on to your saves, but that is the only downside. This program has a very easy-to-learn interface.

Yrthis
    Yrthis

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Now i exported a 192  x 192 tiles map created from a height map without any problems. It took 2 hours and 26 minutes on a quadcore cpu @ 2.4ghz  wich is indeed very fast for such a big map. Maybe the error i got earlier was related with the map i tried to export.

Hatesong
  • Minecraft: Hatesong

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

I've tried all bit versions of this and can't manage to install it. I can download the worldpainter.exe (which initiates the installation process) and it just hangs at the end of the loading bar and I get an error txt file which says the following...

"java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.XPStyle.getTypeEnumName(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.XPStyle.getBorder(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel$XPBorderValue.getXPValue(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel$XPValue.createValue(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.UIDefaults.getFromHashtable(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.UIDefaults.get(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.MultiUIDefaults.get(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.UIDefaults.getBorder(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.UIManager.getBorder(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.border.TitledBorder.getBorder(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.border.TitledBorder.getBorderInsets(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.border.CompoundBorder.getBorderInsets(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.getInsets(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.GridBagLayout.GetMinSize(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.GridBagLayout.getMinSize(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.GridBagLayout.preferredLayoutSize(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.preferredSize(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.GridBagLayout.GetLayoutInfo(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.GridBagLayout.getLayoutInfo(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.GridBagLayout.ArrangeGrid(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.GridBagLayout.arrangeGrid(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.GridBagLayout.layoutContainer(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.layout(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.doLayout(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.validate(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.pack(Unknown Source)
    at com.install4j.runtime.wizard.WizardFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.install4j.runtime.wizard.WizardBase.showFrame(Unknown Source)
    at com.install4j.runtime.installer.frontend.WizardScreenExecutor.execute(Unknown Source)
    at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel$XPBorderValue.getXPValue(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel$XPValue.createValue(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(Unknown Source)

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.install4j.runtime.wizard.StandardScreen$1.componentResized(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processComponentEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

Any idea?
Posted Image

KaiotiBlue
  • Minecraft: Kaioti

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:03 AM

I've been using it all day and I much say, Cheers! This is great. The sprayer brush can be a little bit patchy, even when Im thorough and it looks filled. Also if there was a mountain brush that went up "slightly" more gradually so one could easily grab a terrace to create better foothills, that would be awesome! Other than that freaking wonderful to use. No wrecked maps or crashes/errors so far. Windows vista, decent PC.

Sorry this isn't as helpful as an error report. ;P
Posted Image

SeansanAstrail

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

View Postzc4r3cr0w, on 18 April 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

hmm i don´t know if this is abug but i'm trying to make a big world for my server so a set the tile thingy to a thousand and it starts generate but after 5-10 minutes it stops to generate. it does not close the program the generation window just closes. just leaving feedback in case it´s a bug, mabey it´s just limited at like 100(ooh also i tried 500 tiles same thing)

1000 tiles = 1000 × 128 blocks = 128,000 metres / 128 kilometres / 79.5 miles per side
500 tiles = 64 kilometres / 39.76 miles per side

That's not a big world, that's a huge world in Minecraft terms.

Hatesong
  • Minecraft: Hatesong

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

bump for suttle desperation
Posted Image

Xamanthas
  • Minecraft: Xamanthas

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

Way faster thanks man :), also now not on a mac Qc-6
Posted Image