Latest News Article

WorldPainter v1.8.5 - graphical & interactive map creator/generator

• Please log in to reply
7351 replies to this topic

The_Ardly374
  • Minecraft: The_Ardly374

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostTytus_of_Asfalt, on 09 April 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

Great tool, Im preparing huge natural map with this and I have only one issue that bugs me, when I use "populate" option, MC creates too many water and lava lakes all over deserts and plains... its like You got lake every 50 meters.

MC doesnt creates so many lakes while in vanilla new map generation

I've noticed this same thing. Sadly, once you let Minecraft take over, it's out of World Painter's hands. If you look at the map before you open it in Minecraft, it will be just as you left it in World Painter, but it generates all trees and ponds as you visit the chunks around them in the actual game. I would consider looking into a terrain generator mod, see if it will allow you to change the parameters to stop the generation of ponds, etc. You could even further customize your other biome generation. If you do manage to rid yourself of sporadic watery evil, you should post a quick step by step, because you definitely aren't the only one who wants to know.

View Postminecraftkrle, on 09 April 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Hey,I am trying to make two faction islands for my server,something like azeroth and kalimdor from wow,not that big ( 25x35 tiles),. but when i export,its too big.,..i pasted that code,and its still too big. could you make in near future some changes that allows you to export bigger worlds please Posted Image and yeah,.awesome program!!

Now that the program supports exporting parts of worlds, you can use MCEdit to stitch them together. However, if you're having trouble at that size, you shouldn't be. Have you edited the RAM allocation? 2GB should be fine all the way up to 45x45, it's the largest I've tested fully edited. I'm working on a 100x100, and the way World Painter is behaving while I'm editing, I'm not too worried about the export, just about the wait. XD

Click on the image to see moar stuffs from me!

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Sambhur
    Sambhur

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostCaptain_Chaos, on 08 April 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

I don't know what to tell you. You must not be doing exactly what he does, you're missing a step somewhere. If you paint the terrain with mycelium terrain and mushroom island biome (which WorldPainter will do for you at the default settings), and paint that area with the Populate brush, or check the "allow Minecraft to populate the entire terrain" option on the Export screen, you will get giant mushrooms and mooshrooms.

I found the problem, but not the reason. It keeps unchecking my biomes and won't export the biomes with the world. Am I doing something worng?

Posted Image

L00ty
    L00ty

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Minecraft: L00ty

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

I absolutely love this program! So far I haven't encountered any problems with it, it's just been a matter of playing about with it to try out all the features and see what happens.

I think the only way it could get better is if you could generate strongholds, dungeons and villages. Perhaps if there was a plugin with different types of structures that you can place where you like, that would be the icing on the cake :)

The only other thing I'd like is if you could specify what was in the chest of goodies at the spawn.
Posted Image

Dock_DA
    Dock_DA

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Over the past few weeks, I have become extremely familiar with this program. I realize at first, it may be complicated to create those extreme worlds that you have dreamed of, or those adventure map basics.

If you would like your map to be created, pm me a picture of what it would look like and I will create it!

I am taking as many requests as possible for a series I am going to start up on YouTube!

Thanks everyone!
-Dock {MrDockTV}

winn365
    winn365

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

I have been using the programme a lot and I've made some pretty stunning landscapes. But I have a few requests for the programme that I think could be huge improvements if at all possible.
  • Is there anyway you could get Minecraft to generate normal cave systems, the caverns brush looks good but it always ends up having cave systems that are too big in order to get the caverns to join up. I don't know if this would be something you get Minecraft to do upon opening the world for the first time or another kind of brush in the programme.
  • If the above is possible, could you also add the ability to generate Mineshafts, ravines, dungeons, etc.
  • I noticed you said you were looking to fix the bug where caverns still break the surface. Instead of completely removing the bug could you leave in an option for caverns partially and rarely breaking the surface as they do now.
Thanks, and I'd appreciate it if anyone would have a look at the map I made and give me feedback to :)

Captain_Chaos
  • Minecraft: Captain_Chaos

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

View PostTytus_of_Asfalt, on 09 April 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

MC doesnt creates so many lakes while in vanilla new map generation
Whether or not that's true, there's nothing WorldPainter can do about it. All it can do is say which biome each block is in and which chunks Minecraft should populate. It has no control over what Minecraft does with it.

View Postminecraftkrle, on 09 April 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Hey,I am trying to make two faction islands for my server,something like azeroth and kalimdor from wow,not that big ( 25x35 tiles),. but when i export,its too big.,..i pasted that code,and its still too big.
25x35 tiles really isn't that big. Are you sure you did it right when you tried to give it more memory? See this page for instructions, and also how you can tell whether it worked.

View PostMuzuh, on 09 April 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

how did you put download instead of the whole link? what did you use or do?
Use the Link button.

View PostSambhur, on 09 April 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

I found the problem, but not the reason. It keeps unchecking my biomes and won't export the biomes with the world. Am I doing something worng?
Possibly. What do you mean by unchecking your biomes? I just fixed a bug where it would activate the biome scheme when you loaded a world, even if you had previously deactivated it, but that has been fixed in the latest release and it doesn't sound like what you're describing. Exactly what is being unchecked, and at what moment?

View PostL00ty, on 09 April 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

I think the only way it could get better is if you could generate strongholds, dungeons and villages. Perhaps if there was a plugin with different types of structures that you can place where you like, that would be the icing on the cake Posted Image
I'm definitely planning that (in fact I'm already working on villages), but I am planning to charge a couple of dollars for that functionality, to try and make some money out of this so I can put more time into it.

The only other thing I'd like is if you could specify what was in the chest of goodies at the spawn.
That chest is only meant for the map creator to have some tools and resources to hand quickly when you go into the map, it's not meant for actual gameplay, so it's unlikely to become configurable. It's easy enough to customize it yourself in-game when you're making an adventure map or something.
I made WorldPainter & the PorteCoulissante & RetractableBridge Bukkit plugins (visit mc.pepsoft.org in Minecraft). Please donate!

Captain_Chaos

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

View Postwinn365, on 09 April 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Is there anyway you could get Minecraft to generate normal cave systems, ...
Getting Minecraft to do it is unfortunately not possible (without mods), but I am definitely planning to add a different, more tunnel like caves brush at some point.

Is there anyway you could get Minecraft to generate normal caveIf the above is possible, could you also add the ability to generate Mineshafts, ravines, dungeons, etc.
Also not possible to get Minecraft to do, but see my answer to L00ty above.

I noticed you said you were looking to fix the bug where caverns still break the surface. Instead of completely removing the bug could you leave in an option for caverns partially and rarely breaking the surface as they do now.
If and when I do fix the bug I probably won't add an option for that, that would clutter up the interface too much for something almost no one will use, but I may add an undocumented advanced option to do it (although I can't promise that will be feasible).
I made WorldPainter & the PorteCoulissante & RetractableBridge Bukkit plugins (visit mc.pepsoft.org in Minecraft). Please donate!

The_Ardly374
  • Minecraft: The_Ardly374

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:01 AM

I absolutely love this program! So far I haven't encountered any problems with it, it's just been a matter of playing about with it to try out all the features and see what happens.

I think the only way it could get better is if you could generate strongholds, dungeons and villages. Perhaps if there was a plugin with different types of structures that you can place where you like, that would be the icing on the cake Posted Image

Using b02 Files, you could actually create customized stronghold-like structures, you'd just have to set up branching...and have a decent b02 editor, of which I have not found. I've found that starting with an imported Minecraft Map, using a bukkit server and word border to fill it out, and then editing biomes and terrain, you can have strongholds that simply don't get erased, as well as Minecraft vanilla caves, because World Painter doesn't change underground stuffs unless you lower the terrain too much. It's super complicated, but it's nice.

Otherwise, you can just copy and paste strongholds in. I mean...you'd just lose being able to have the portal...not active...because you'd have to make it. It'd still get you to the End though. The portals left behind by killing ender dragons in the overworld work too, and can be copied and pasted. So far it looks like they all take you to the initial End though...

Click on the image to see moar stuffs from me!

Posted Image

jcynavarro

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:24 AM

Your program ate my dog.....                 and is about to steal my car.

Thanks for creating such a program! I'll be donating some XP towards your way soon! Thanks again for your work!

Quslavo
    Quslavo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Minecraft: Quslavo

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

Awesome program, though I have an issue with biome painting: I want to change a certain area from jungle biome to ice mountains. It seems all right until I export the world and play with it in minecraft, where I noticed that the grass doesn't change color according to the biome (it should be ice mountain but remains jungle) and rain falls on that area instead of snow, so snow doesn't form on the ground... It would seems that biome painting doesn't work... Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug or something else?
Posted Image

Captain_Chaos

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostQuslavo, on 10 April 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

I want to change a certain area from jungle biome to ice mountains. It seems all right until I export the world and play with it in minecraft, where I noticed that the grass doesn't change color according to the biome (it should be ice mountain but remains jungle) and rain falls on that area instead of snow, so snow doesn't form on the ground...
You'll have to describe what's going on a bit more accurately. You say you want to "change" a biome, implying that you have an existing map that you want to change. The way to change an existing map is to import and then merge it, yet you say you "export" it. Could you elaborate a bit and describe exactly what you are trying to achieve, and exactly how you are trying to achieve it?

View PostQuslavo, on 10 April 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

It would seems that biome painting doesn't work...
It always amuses me when people say things like that. Do you really think it's likely that it doesn't work at all, yet nobody except you is complaining about it? Seems to me it's a lot more likely that you're doing something wrong, or misunderstanding how it works.

zanarion

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

So, world painter says it needs more memory. And i dont really know how to act, i dont understand the message. And i cant open that C:\Program Files (x86)\WorldPainter\worldpainter.vmoptions as it told.
"Dub est aperta porta per quae labitur maxime fatalis hostium."
"Leader is the first servant of his subjects"

Captain_Chaos

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

View Postzanarion, on 10 April 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

So, world painter says it needs more memory. And i dont really know how to act, i dont understand the message. And i cant open that C:\Program Files (x86)\WorldPainter\worldpainter.vmoptions as it told.
Check out this page for more detailed instructions.

Quslavo
    Quslavo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Minecraft: Quslavo

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

View PostCaptain_Chaos, on 10 April 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

You'll have to describe what's going on a bit more accurately. You say you want to "change" a biome, implying that you have an existing map that you want to change. The way to change an existing map is to import and then merge it, yet you say you "export" it. Could you elaborate a bit and describe exactly what you are trying to achieve, and exactly how you are trying to achieve it?

It always amuses me when people say things like that. Do you really think it's likely that it doesn't work at all, yet nobody except you is complaining about it? Seems to me it's a lot more likely that you're doing something wrong, or misunderstanding how it works.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to underestimate your work, but on a second thought it's clear I should have expressed myself in another way.
What I wanted to say was that I couldn't get it to work right ("you don't say?"). Posted Image
Anyway here's what I do: first I open an existing map of mine, then, with custom biomes enabled, I click on "biomes" in the layers tab, choose ice mountains and start painting on the existing jungle biome (after ensuring that area is not read only). Then either I merge the world with the existing map or I export it as a new map, it's the same: I see no effects of the new biome in game (grass color, rain/snow). What I'm doing wrong? Posted Image

Edited by Quslavo, 10 April 2012 - 02:48 PM.

Posted Image

Captain_Chaos

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

View PostQuslavo, on 10 April 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

first I open an existing map of mine, then, with custom biomes enabled, I click on "biomes" in the layers tab, choose ice mountains and start painting on the existing jungle biome (after ensuring that area is not read only). Then either I merge the world with the existing map or I export it as a new map, it's the same: I see no effects of the new biome in game (grass color, rain/snow). What I'm doing wrong? Posted Image
Thanks for the added detail. I don't see anything wrong in that description, so perhaps there really is a bug somewhere. I'll look into it!

zanarion

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PostCaptain_Chaos, on 10 April 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Check out this page for more detailed instructions.

Okay something was messing things up but then it all turned out well, thanks.
"Dub est aperta porta per quae labitur maxime fatalis hostium."
"Leader is the first servant of his subjects"

Captain_Chaos

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

View Postzanarion, on 10 April 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

Now it says this:  C:\Program Files (x86)\WorldPainter\worldpainter.vmoptions The archive is either in unknown format or damaged.
I have downloaded this several times and removed several times.
And when i try to save the changes it wont allow me to do that....
That is a bizarre message. You must not be following the instructions correctly. You're using the wrong program or opening the wrong file or something, and/or not running the editor as Administrator like the instructions tell you. It's impossible for me to tell from here what you're doing wrong. All I can tell you is that dozens (if not hundreds) of people were able to follow those instructions and give WorldPainter more memory, so they definitely are correct and you should be able to manage it.

PS: you appear to be the using the 32-bit version. That means you won't be able to give it more than 1500M (note the M instead of the G). This is a limitation of Windows and Java.

ProjectRay
  • Minecraft: ProjectRay12

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

Posted Image

I hate how the entire map is off center, can you please find a way to fix it, I would really rather not have to go find a way to use image overlay to set a grid on the map everytime I make a new map, plus the spawn and irregular center y axis are annoying to figure out where they are. Pwease? :3
~Enjoy Life

Captain_Chaos

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

View PostProjectRay, on 10 April 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

I hate how the entire map is off center, can you please find a way to fix it, I would really rather not have to go find a way to use image overlay to set a grid on the map everytime I make a new map, plus the spawn and irregular center y axis are annoying to figure out where they are. Pwease? :3
The grid is correct. It's centered on the origin (which you can tell from the spawn point, which sits at the origin by default). It's just that the origin happens not to lie on a tile corner for historical reasons, so the grid doesn't line up with the edges of the map. I would try not to let it bother you.

If you use the overlay to draw your own grid, assuming it lines up with the edges, the result would be shifted in-game with respect to the Minecraft coordinate system, are you sure you want that?

I will rotate the coordinate system at some point, so that north is up, and take the opportunity to get rid of the 15 block shift. Then the grid will line up with the map edges. I don't know how soon that will be though. It's quite an operation.

ProjectRay
  • Minecraft: ProjectRay12

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

:/ well thanks anyway, and i dont mind if coords are off, its the map that i mind.
~Enjoy Life