Latest News Article

WorldPainter v1.8.5 - graphical & interactive map creator/generator

• Please log in to reply
7342 replies to this topic

Captain_Chaos
  • Minecraft: Captain_Chaos

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

POPULAR

Welcome to WorldPainter, a graphical and interactive map painter / generator. Quickly generate expansive, natural looking landscapes, with full manual control over the terrain, using an easy to use and well performing program.

Check out these great examples of both usage and results of WorldPainter. Note that I didn't create these landscapes, or these videos:

Features:
  • Works with the latest version of Minecraft!
  • Custom biome painting
  • Create your own custom brushes
  • Add custom objects from bo2 files or schematics to the world
  • Customise the location and frequency of underground ores and resources
  • Add snow and ice
  • Easy to use yet flexible and powerful paint-like tools
  • Create oceans, landmasses, plains and mountains
  • Change the terrain type, add trees and create caverns
Download an installer below:

Windows:
32-bit version: download (works on 32 and 64-bit Windows, but not on 64-bit Java)
64-bit version: download (only works on 64-bit Windows and Java; get 64-bit Java)

Mac OS X: download
If you have trouble with unresponsive windows after installation, you may need to update Java to the latest version, or install this patch.

Linux:
Download installer (can be installed as root or as a regular user)
Download rpm package (Red Hat, Fedora, etc.)
Download deb package (Debian, Ubuntu, etc.)

Third party packages (these are not maintained by me; direct any questions to the package maintainer!):

Arch Linux

WorldPainter does not contain any virus or malware! If your virus scanner says it does, it is a false positive. Please report it as such to the makers, and use the "unquarantine" or equivalent function of your virus scanner, or disable it temporarily, to install and run WorldPainter. See this post for more information. VirusTotal results for the above download links can be found here.

Troubleshooting - FAQ - other documentation.

You can check the change log here. These installers were created with Posted Image. WorldPainter is free and open source software, released under the GNU Public License (GPL) version 3. The source code can be downloaded here.

If you have trouble installing the program using one of the installers above, you can download installerless archives here: 32-bit Windows, 64-bit Windows, Mac OS X and UNIX/Linux. Note that these are not recommended and unsupported!

It should be pretty self-explanatory, and the rest you should be easily able to find out by clicking around. Don't forget to try all your mouse buttons, and try holding them down! Post in this thread to get support from me or other users of WorldPainter.

The Load and Save functions save the map in WorldPainter format. The Export function exports the map to a Minecraft world. By default it is exported right to your Minecraft saves directory. You can then open the world in Minecraft under Singleplayer.

The Import and Merge functions allow you to import the landscape from an existing map, and then merge any changes you make to the landscape back to the existing map. It is not meant for general purpose map editing! WorldPainter is, and always will be, a map generator, not a map editor. Note that this functionality is dangerous! Use it at your own risk. Please see this post for important information about how these functions work, and their limitations.

This tool is not meant to create ready to run single player maps, it's meant to create server levels and adventure maps. The idea is to create the basic landscape, with your mountain ranges, oceans, forests, snow and ice, lakes, hills, etc. using the tool, and then go in and fill in the details with other tools.

Please donate!

WorldPainter takes a lot of time to create and maintain. Even though it is free, please show your appreciation by donating: Posted Image or Posted Image.

You can also donate bitcoins! The bitcoin address for donations is: 1NK8PFYFetTiWReujPsQXDcarXKJuYtqgF. You can also scan this QR code with a Bitcoin app:
Posted Image
Linking to WorldPainter

If you want to link to WorldPainter from your own site or another forum, I would be honoured! But please don't link directly to the downloads, or upload the files to file sharing sites or host them yourself! Instead, please link people to either of these sites to download WorldPainter: Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question, before asking in this thread check the official Frequently Asked Questions page.

Your creations

If you created something a nice map with WorldPainter, or a video or perhaps some useful custom brushes, please post about it in the WorldPainter user creations thread: link.
I made WorldPainter & the PorteCoulissante & RetractableBridge Bukkit plugins (visit mc.pepsoft.org in Minecraft). Please donate!

Register or log in to remove.

razer
    razer

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • Minecraft: run1235

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:03 PM

ill try it out and tell you what i find.

razer
    razer

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

2 things
1. for everyone whos is worried this is legit it does work.
2. the pointer is a bit off (using windows xp if that has anything to do with it.)

Captain_Chaos

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:20 PM

razer said:

2. the pointer is a bit off (using windows xp if that has anything to do with it.)
Could you try again, see if it's fixed now?
I made WorldPainter & the PorteCoulissante & RetractableBridge Bukkit plugins (visit mc.pepsoft.org in Minecraft). Please donate!

razer
    razer

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:28 PM

it works now. cant w8 for you to finish making this. maybe you could add a volcano feature that makes a mountain with lava at the top of it, and the lava is even with the very top so you could go up to it and destroy a block and let the lava run down the side of it.

Captain_Chaos

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:34 PM

razer said:

maybe you could add a volcano feature that makes a mountain with lava at the top of it, and the lava is even with the very top so you could go up to it and destroy a block and let the lava run down the side of it.
Excellent idea. :-) I think I would to this by allowing you to flood with lava in addition to water. You can easily create a volcano shaped mountain already by raising a mountain and then digging the caldera by right-clicking with "raise mountain" selected (and a much smaller radius, which you can change with your mouse wheel). All that's left is to flood the caldera with lava... :-)

eagleeyes23

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

Ok i used if for a little and all i can say is its LEGIT awesome :DD For a beginner it was very easy to learn and use and put in game and i had fun creating giant pyramids :P  keep the good work going :GoldBar:  Also im using windows 7 and it runs rather well.

Leaf_It
    Leaf_It

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

I like it. I haven't checked yet, but does the world keep expanding once you reach the edge of the generated world? If you were to add the option of either having it keep going or to stop that would be great.

I'll report any bugs I find. None so far.
Posted Image    Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image    Posted Image

Captain_Chaos

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:14 PM

Leaf_It said:

I like it. I haven't checked yet, but does the world keep expanding once you reach the edge of the generated world? If you were to add the option of either having it keep going or to stop that would be great.
Once you reach the edge of the generated world, Minecraft will start generating its own chunks again, which won't match the generated world at all. You'll get sheer cliffs there, with water and lava pouring out.

I think I'll add an option to surround the generated world with ocean, or a lava sea, or even empty chunks, so that you can't reach the edge of the generated map.

sn0re
    sn0re

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 415 posts
  • Minecraft: arilotter

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:23 PM

This is amazing :Skeleton: <3 Once you develop a bit more, can you maybe add a custom brush format so we can make it create are own awesome things?

Captain_Chaos

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

sn0re said:

This is amazing :D <3 Once you develop a bit more, can you maybe add a custom brush format so we can make it create are own awesome things?
I think I will make it so other people can create plugins for it. You'll have to be a programmer, but at least other people can then code cool extensions for it. It will probably too complex to make a simple custom brush format for.

Backfat
    Backfat

Carpenter

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:49 PM

Wow!  the default generated world looks amazing!  I really hope you continue this project Captain Chaos.  This could turn out to be the best map generator yet.  It's already off to a great start.

cooldude1128
  • Minecraft: cooldude1128

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:04 AM

Oh. My. Fu*king. Gosh. AWESOME!! I would try it, but there is no DL. And my good computer has
the BSoD, so I can't play minecraft. Keep up the good work ;D
Hey there! I'm a spriter, and a frequent player of Minecraft and Super Hostile. I'm a good builder if I may say so myself, and I like constructions that are symmetrical. They bother my OCD less.

Captain_Chaos

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:29 AM

cooldude1128 said:

Oh. My. Fu*king. Gosh. AWESOME!! I would try it, but there is no DL.
There is a download. But it's well hidden in the text, to make people actually read it... ;-)

MinecraftMapMaker

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:36 AM

where do i get the water???

Backfat
    Backfat

Carpenter

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:38 AM

MinecraftMapMaker said:

The flood button

MinecraftMapMaker

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:45 AM

Backfat said:

MinecraftMapMaker said:

The flood button
oh ok thanks

but now im getting a error when exporting

04hockey
    04hockey

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1146 posts
  • Minecraft: 04hockey

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:59 AM

That looks awesome...I'll try it out sometime.

I'm a Java programmer, and I'm a terrible artist. Anything else, just ask me.

Captain_Chaos

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:27 AM

MinecraftMapMaker said:

but now im getting a error when exporting
What does it say, exactly?

Sinister Brain
  • Minecraft: sinisterbrain

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

When I go to export the map I get this error.
Posted Image
Posted Image