• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Can you take minecarts through the portals into the Nether?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

BrokenEye
    BrokenEye

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2282 posts
  • Minecraft: BrokenEye

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

Just wondering. You could set up a track going through the portal, and then going back through another portal and have like an express tram from one base to another. Or you could kick your minecart coaster up to the next level by having part of it in the Nether. Has anyone tried this? Does it work?
Posted Image
"Your "reality", sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever" — Baron Munchhausen

Register or log in to remove.

Syfaro
    Syfaro

Retired Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 5209 posts
  • Minecraft: Syfaro

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

You would have to have it stop in the portal long enough, and have anther minecart ready to go, because minecarts won't be carried into the nether (i think...)

Minecraft API - A JSON API for fetching information about Minecraft & Minecraft servers

Read my blog about tech stuff!

Nimphina
    Nimphina

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 18361 posts
  • Minecraft: blockPAVer

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

BrokenEye said:

Just wondering. You could set up a track going through the portal, and then going back through another portal and have like an express tram from one base to another. Or you could kick your minecart coaster up to the next level by having part of it in the Nether. Has anyone tried this? Does it work?
It crashes the game

coin409
    coin409

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2823 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:54 PM

blockPAVer said:

BrokenEye said:

It crashes the game
One very good reason why Notch should fix bugs.

Posted Image

Magic Bennie
  • Minecraft: magicbennie

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:07 PM

I think it would act like you would ride a pig through the gate.
It says this on The Minecraft Wiki:

"Riding a minecart into a portal has some adverse effects. The player can go through the portal, but remains stuck in the ceiling of The Nether. Reloading that saved world again will drop the player into the Nether, possibly without a matching Nether-portal and possibly right into a lava lake. Riding a pig or a boat through a portal also gives this same effect. The object you rode will stay on the Overworld side of the portal."

All credit goes to the minecraft wiki.
Posted Image