Latest News Article

[1.7.2] MumbleLink [Forge] [SMP] [LAN] [Mumble] [Realism] [Directional VOIP]

mod mumble smp directional positional 3d plugin realism forge 1.7.2

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

SnipingCoward

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:25 AM

Posted Image

A client-side Mod so that Minecraft now natively supports Mumble's positional audio feature.
This means: Directional and positionally attenuated VOIP in relation to the game world.
Requires Forge. Demo Video here.

Posted Image

Download for MC 1.7.2+
MumbleLink.jar

Change Log:
v4.1.0
- code structure rework to conform to new forge gradle build system

Table of Contents

Installing
  • Close both Mumble and Minecraft.
  • install Minecraft Forge
  • put the "MumbleLink.jar" into your .minecraft/mods folder - DO NOT EXTRACT THE JAR!
    • Windows: %Appdata%\.minecraft\mods\MumbleLink.jar
    • Linux: ~/.minecraft/mods/MumbleLink.jar
  • setup Mumble:
    Spoiler:

Upgrading
Spoiler:

Demo Videos

Here is a great new demonstration video by Scarystuff. Thank you so much for sharing Posted Image

note: the mumble settings are probably still defaults
to get a more realistic approach I suggest setting Mumble up as described here.

NOTICE: Although the advanced Mumble setup up still applies, this installation tutorial is out-dated.
by serafinobp - Thank you very much Posted Image

note: sadly the directional aspect is not audible in the video, only the attenuation effect is. But check this one out (use headset or 5.1):- that is how it is can be working in MC as well (using advanced mumble settings)

Details

"zsawyer" is me on SourceForge and GitHub.
I can't seem to stop working on this ... but don't rely on me giving you timely updates.

theskorm has forked the sources. You can do so too!

Advanced Mumble Configuration

Instead of hearing people from indefinitely far away you can set up mumble to only hear them when they are close. In return you (and they!) will need to bind an extra key to communicate with those far away (imagine it being a "walkie-talkie" button).
To set this up you will need to do some special settings which differ from the defaults, in return it might enhance your audio experience. Instruction video here, skip to 3:19.

Instructions:
    Spoiler:

Support
Please try to find the answer yourself: Read the README sections "Notes", "Troubleshooting" and "FAQ".
For support post in here or in the forum on sourceforge (https://sourceforge..../modmumblelink/). Please post the version number of the mod and your full Log-Files (e.g. use http://pastebin.com/)

TODOs
  • integrate switching between "world dependent linking" into GUI as a setting (either use GUIAPI or ModOptionsAPI), neither should end up as a requirement for the user though (currently possible through the config file)
  • maybe add achievement for successful linking with mumble to provide better feedback that it has worked (dropped because tests show its not that reliable, has issues in SMP and is a one-time thing only [some code for it in r76])
  • add server, world and other player related info to the "identity" field and wrap it with JSON (done since 4.0.2, sadly there is no client-side-visible UID for the world)
  • add better compatibility with MagicLauncher
  • revamp as a server plugin

Development
This project is licensed under the LGPLv3.
Sources can be found on sourceforge in the SVN.
Read the README.txt files in some of the folders for instructions.
If you would like to help me out see if you can take on one or more of the TODOs or tickets.

Developing Addons for this Mod
  • Please also refer to full changelog of v4.0.2 in the README and the source code comments.
  • The interface "MumbleLinkAPI" allows your addon to inject their custom Mumble context and/or identity.
    • Use this interface to register your callback function handlers. You will have to implement the callback interfaces.
    • It is suggested that your addon implements the "Activatable" interface to allow other (child) addons to disable your handlers and thus overriding/replacing them. This is neccessary since the context and identity fields have a very limited length.
    • The ExtendedPASupport mod should serve as a sample implementation.
  • Please note the javadoc of these files.
  • For more information about context and identity consult mumble's doc

README
Spoiler:

Older Versions (not recommended):
Spoiler:

Edited by SnipingCoward, 14 March 2014 - 12:52 AM.

Posted Image

Want positional VOIP? Get the Mod for Mumble Support

Register or log in to remove.

8BitGinno

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:57 AM

Are you zsawyer and did you create this Mod?

If not, I don't believe you are allowed to "release" this.
Posted ImagePosted Image

CyborgDragon
  • Minecraft: cyborgdragon

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:08 AM

8BitGinno said:

Not entirely true, if he isn't zsawyer he could have obtained permission to make this thread. I do hope he has permission or he is zsawyer, because this is awesome on so many levels.

SnipingCoward

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:15 AM

8BitGinno said:

Yes, that is me on sourceforge. Tried to clear that up in the initial post.

CyborgDragon said:

this is awesome on so many levels.
I am glad you like this project.

Posted Image

Saber Mage

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:31 AM

I regularly host an SMP server, have just set up a Mumble server for it, and will be testing this out as soon as I get the mod installed. I'll report on it, but just letting you know: This mod is awesome! I've been wanting to see this done with Minecraft ever since, well, CMP haha. Thanks so much for your effort and work in creating it for us all =P.

QLight
    QLight

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Minecraft: Mushie

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:34 AM

I diont realy understand this but it sounds awsome

Check out my Texture :D

Posted Image Posted Image

Or Visit my dragon!

CyborgDragon
  • Minecraft: cyborgdragon

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:44 AM

QLight said:

Mumble is a voice chat program much like TeamSpeak, and is often used with servers in the same manner. However, Mumble comes with a special feature, called positional voice chat, in which other players' voices are attenuated according to their distance and direction from you, but it only works if the game supports it. This mod allows Mumble's positional voice chat feature to work with Minecraft.

QLight
    QLight

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Minecraft: Mushie

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:54 AM

CyborgDragon said:

QLight said:

Mumble is a voice chat program much like TeamSpeak, and is often used with servers in the same manner. However, Mumble comes with a special feature, called positional voice chat, in which other players' voices are attenuated according to their distance and direction from you, but it only works if the game supports it. This mod allows Mumble's positional voice chat feature to work with Minecraft.
Oh i see sounds, makes it sound even more awsome :D

Check out my Texture :D

Posted Image Posted Image

Or Visit my dragon!

Saber Mage

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:33 AM

Seems to work great thus far, no installation issues for me. I haven't been able to test it with anyone yet. Will report back when I have. =P

SnipingCoward

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

New Version released:

Change Log:
v1.1
- added 64-Bit Java support (new x64-bit DLL)
- optimized DLLs
- now there is no need for the msvcr100.dll -> removed
- sources ready for release

Sources are now available on sourceforge inside the SVN: https://sourceforge..../modmumblelink/

Special thanks to dalawrence his "make.bat" helped alot - Thank you!  :Bacon: (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41506&start=30#p3356321)

Posted Image

CJ2311
    CJ2311

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

I'm so posting this on my MC community, thanks for the great tool :D

Stupid signatures being outdated and stuff D;

_Clash_
    _Clash_

Carpenter

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:18 AM

This mod seems to be incompatible with Optimine. I installed one mod at a time with this and mod loader in it and tested, once I put Optimine in I got a black screen on start up. Seems like a great mod though, I'm looking forward to using it. Just waiting for someone else to get it installed without a black screen so we can see if it works.

Edit: Okay, we can't get it to work sadly. =(

Saber Mage

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:38 AM

Alright, got my buddy Clash there and I together. Unfortunately, we can't get the positional audio attenuation to work. Is there something we're missing, maybe?

Edit: Alright, we figured out the problem. His installation failed to load, thus it didn't link up with Minecraft. Here is the error message (seems to be related to 64-bit again):

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Users\Clash\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin\natives\mumbleLink\mod_MumbleLink.dll: Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform

SnipingCoward

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:37 AM

Saber Mage said:

Alright, got my buddy Clash there and I together. Unfortunately, we can't get the positional audio attenuation to work. Is there something we're missing, maybe?

Edit: Alright, we figured out the problem. His installation failed to load, thus it didn't link up with Minecraft. Here is the error message (seems to be related to 64-bit again):

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Users\Clash\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin\natives\mumbleLink\mod_MumbleLink.dll: Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform

Unfortunately this single entry is insufficient for debugging. That line will always be there when using 64-bit Java because the 32-bit library is always attempted to be loaded first. A fallback procedure will then attempt to load the 64-bit DLL.

v1.0 does not support 64-Bit Java please use v1.1 instead.

If you still have problems please provide the full ModLoader.txt file.

Posted Image

_Clash_
    _Clash_

Carpenter

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:05 AM

Edit: Haha, my bad... I didn't check connect to game under plugins. Might want to add that to the notes list. Dx

Been having a lot of fun with this mod. I highly recommend it! There is a side effect though that people begin spontaneously RPing and/or speaking with accents. Haven't figured that one out yet.

Saber Mage

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

_Clash_ said:

Edit: Haha, my bad... I didn't check connect to game under plugins. Might want to add that to the notes list. Dx

Been having a lot of fun with this mod. I highly recommend it! There is a side effect though that people begin spontaneously RPing and/or speaking with accents. Haven't figured that one out yet.

It's there, you just missed it =P. He doesn't really tell you where to find it, though, so it's a little confusing. Under configure > settings, and with Advanced ticked, it's the top and only check box under the plugins menu.

SnipingCoward

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

Yeah I guess I was kind of lazy there... sry.
Glad you got it figured out.

PS: I'll try to clean up the Warnings in the next release. They are quite misleading.

Posted Image

SnipingCoward

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:46 PM

New Alpha Version released:

THIS VERSION IS EXPERIMENTAL! Please provide feedback when using it - thank you.

Change Log:
v1.1a (alpha)
- added support for Linux 32-bit

Note: Compiled under Ubuntu 10.10 - so it should work there.

Posted Image

serafinobp

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

a tutorial i made for the install

SnipingCoward

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:21 AM

serafinobp said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLdQJlRAe4k a tutorial i made for the install
This is great thank you!  (added it to the main post).

Posted Image