• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[Guide] How to make a Texture Pack on Mac (and for Windows)

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

I was looking around for some templates and guides on how to make a texture pack and couldn't find much information so i decided to make a guide so that anyone that wanted to make a texture pack could just follow the simple steps in this guide.

As this post is becoming quite popular i will make it into a publishing ground for everyone who has made a texture pack using this guide. Please use the format which i have posted in the publishing section of the guide.

If you are using a windows computer you will need to find your own editing software as this guide was made for mac but most of it is the same for windows

Contents
1. Finding the Files
2. What to edit
3. Installing and Testing
4. Publishing

I have made a folder containing all the files needed. This can be found here.I recommend that you download this if you want to speed up your process of editing and not having to find all the files

1. Finding Files
I recommend that you use the download link above but if you want to find the files your self you will need an archiving, normally there should be Archiving Utility or something like that installed on your mac if not go to this link and have a look at some of the programs there.

Ok now we need to extract the files from minecraft.jar to do this we need to go to the minecraft folder in the Application Support folder. First of all click 'Macintosh HD' then 'Users' then Your user name then 'Library' then 'Application Support' then 'Minecraft' and then 'bin'.

Then the file 'minecraft.jar' to your desktop and unarchive it.

You should get a folder named 'minecraft' with loads of files inside it which end in '.class'

Now search through this folder until you find folders/files with the names:
    Armor, Art, Environment, Font, Font.txt, GUI, Item, Misc, Mob, Pack.png, pack.txt, particles.png, terrain, terrain.png, title

The file with the name terrain.png is the file which you will work on most.

2. What to Edit?
When you come to the stage where you have to edit the files you  need to have the right program to edit with. There are many programs which you can edit textures with. The program which I recommend that you use is Adobe's Photoshop. However not everyone can afford this as it can cost quite a lot of money. There are also many free photo editing programs such as Gimp: http://adf.ly/323739/gimp or pixelmator: (free trial) http://www.pixelmator.com/try/

What files do what?

Armor Used to edit in-game armor.
Art Edit this to change the art you can out up in-game.
Environment Edit files that create clouds, snow and rain.
Font Edit the font which is used to write on signs, this is quite complicated though.
Font.txt Similar to font.
GUI Backgrounds such as the inventory or main menu background.
Items Edit items.
Misc Misc.
Mob Edit the way that creepers, zombies and all other non player controlled characters look.
Pack.png The image that will be displayed when in the texture packs window in the main menu.
Pack.txt The text that will be displayed below your pack.png in the main menu texture pack window.
Particles.png Used to edit the animations when you break a block and other small things.
Terrain Used to edit the sun and the moon
Terrain.png The file you will edit most. Used to edit the way blocks look in-game.
Title Edit the files to change the flashing messages in the main menu.

The default texture pack size is 16x16 but if you want to make an HD pack change the terrain.png to 128x128 pixels for a 32x32 texture pack. Change it to 256x256 for a 64x64 texture pack. And to 512x512 for a 128x128 texture pack. However when you install the texture pack you must use an HD texture pack Fixer.

3. Installing and Testing
To install the texture pack make a folder and place all the files into into. Then right click the folder and click compress. You should create a file called Archive.zip. Rename this file to what you want to name your texture pack and drag and drop it into your minecraft texture pack folder. This is found in the Application Support Folder. Open minecraft and select your file from the texture pack menu in the main menu. Then click done and i should be installed. Now test your texture pack.

4. Publishing
To publish your texture pack upload the .zip file to any file hosting company and link it in the forum you found this guide in. Make sure to show the viewers some screenshots.

If you wish to use this guide to promote your texture pack please use the following code when posting:
[img]put the url of your photo here[/img]
[b]name of your texture pack[/b]
[b]link to download or minecraft forum topic link[/b]

If this guide helped you please donate by using the button below.
Posted Image

Thank You,

MacMCServerSuport

Register or log in to remove.

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:41 PM

bump?!?!?!

mooglestar

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

this is so very helpful. many a  :)  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Green: to you :Green:
Whats the recommended best freeware for editing the pixels?
KJGinger said:
Bitch, get in my minecart.

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:05 PM

probably gimp, its in the post check it out
however if you want to spend some money i would recommend that you get photoshop elements 9
that is what i am currently using to make my texture pack

MOHH
    MOHH

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

Thank you very much!!!!! I have been looking for ages for this!! TNX! HERES A TREASURE FOR YOU TO ENJOY. :DBlock:  :D  :DBlock:  :DBlock: :DBlock:

Posted Image

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the support. I am glad that you enjoyed it. I will also be realising my own texture pack soon.

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

I have just released my first texture pack however updates will follow very soon view it at:
viewtopic.php?f=1021&t=236576
please leave feedback on the texture pack post

Drascoll
    Drascoll

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

I do appreciate the idea of a guide. However imho, if someone has to look up a guide on how to edit a .png file then they have no business editing textures at all. Sorry for the negativity, I needed to just say that.  :D
Posted Image
Check out my texture pack

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:39 PM

i thought i mentioned how to edit it
you just use an online photoediting tool or a freeware
but if you have it photoshop does the job well

there's no need to apologise for negativity if it's constructive btw

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:21 PM

i have just updated my texture pack to version 0.3
please check it out at http://www.minecraft...f=1021&t=236576
and leave your feedback and suggestions on the forum post.  :P

aliellingson

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:45 PM

Sorry I'm a tard i posted on your other forum thing.

Anyways could you walk me through how to make the blocks?
I mean i see the animals, and the sun and moon, and all of that stuff. But do i have to make the blocks from scratch? and what do I label them and in what folder should i put them?

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:00 PM

when you go into the terrain.png file you will see the textures of all the default blocks, use these as outlines and just edit them without going over the edges.
For the sun and moon go into the 'terrain' folder and there should be two files named sun and moon
for the creatures and mobs go into the folder named 'mobs' and like you did in the terrain file use the already existing texture as an outline for your new texture.

aliellingson said:

Sorry I'm a tard i posted on your other forum thing.

Anyways could you walk me through how to make the blocks?
I mean i see the animals, and the sun and moon, and all of that stuff. But do i have to make the blocks from scratch? and what do I label them and in what folder should i put them?

Mr_Israel
  • Minecraft: Mr_Israel

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:43 AM

Ok, so I edited what i wanted to edit, put it in a folder, compressed it, put the .zip file in folder "texturepacks", it comes up in my "Mods and Texture Packs" selection menu in the game, i select it and nothing has changed... Why? I'm running beta 1.4, downloaded the file with stuff you can edit from the link you gave, used "Gimp" for editing, but I can't get it to change anything... Help?

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:40 AM

Mr_Israel said:

Ok, so I edited what i wanted to edit, put it in a folder, compressed it, put the .zip file in folder "texturepacks", it comes up in my "Mods and Texture Packs" selection menu in the game, i select it and nothing has changed... Why? I'm running beta 1.4, downloaded the file with stuff you can edit from the link you gave, used "Gimp" for editing, but I can't get it to change anything... Help?
ok,
if nothing changes this might me because of several reasons
you haven't selected it properly, you have to wait before you press done  for the texture pack to load
you haven't edited it properly
try using a different editing software maybe try pixelmator free trial or something
also, i have experienced this problem myself. When you save the files like terrain.png make sure that they have the same name and replace the default files with them.
If you still have problems please tell me

Mr_Israel

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

MacMCServerSuport said:

Mr_Israel said:

ok,
you haven't selected it properly, you have to wait before you press done  for the texture pack to load
try using a different editing software maybe try pixelmator free trial or something
also, i have experienced this problem myself. When you save the files like terrain.png make sure that they have the same name and replace the default files with them.

What do you mean wait for it to load? How do i know when it's loaded?
i suppose that's a possibility although i think i have edited correctly
what do u mean replace the default files? like replace the ones in minecraft.jar or replace the ones you gave me to edit? if i replace the ones in minecraft.jar how is it a texture pack that i'm able to switch on off like any other texture pack?

Mr_Israel

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:24 PM

MacMCServerSuport said:

Mr_Israel said:

ok,

what do u mean replace the default files? like replace the ones in minecraft.jar or replace the ones you gave me to edit? if i replace the ones in minecraft.jar how is it a texture pack that i'm able to switch on off like any other texture pack?

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

Mr_Israel said:

MacMCServerSuport said:

Mr_Israel said:

ok,

wait for it to load, as in wait a couple of seconds
replace the files that i supplied then zip

Mr_Israel

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:38 AM

[quote name="Mr_Israel"][quote name="MacMCServerSuport"][quote name="Mr_Israel"]Ok, so I edited what i wanted to edit, put it in a folder, compressed it, put the .zip file in folder "texturepacks", it comes up in my "Mods and Texture Packs" selection menu in the game, i select it and nothing has changed... Why? I'm running beta 1.4, downloaded the file with stuff you can edit from the link you gave, used "Gimp" for editing, but I can't get it to change anything... Help?[/quote]
ok,
If you still have problems please tell me[/quote]

what do u mean replace the default files? like replace the ones in minecraft.jar or replace the ones you gave me to edit? if i replace the ones in minecraft.jar how is it a texture pack that i'm able to switch on off like any other texture pack?[/quote]
replace the files that i supplied then zip[/quote]

I know for a fact I replaced the files in your folder. How do i know when the pack has loaded?

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:54 AM

[quote name="Mr_Israel"][quote name="Mr_Israel"][quote name="MacMCServerSuport"]Ok, so I edited what i wanted to edit, put it in a folder, compressed it, put the .zip file in folder "texturepacks", it comes up in my "Mods and Texture Packs" selection menu in the game, i select it and nothing has changed... Why? I'm running beta 1.4, downloaded the file with stuff you can edit from the link you gave, used "Gimp" for editing, but I can't get it to change anything... Help?[/quote]
ok,
If you still have problems please tell me[/quote]

what do u mean replace the default files? like replace the ones in minecraft.jar or replace the ones you gave me to edit? if i replace the ones in minecraft.jar how is it a texture pack that i'm able to switch on off like any other texture pack?[/quote]
replace the files that i supplied then zip

I know for a fact I replaced the files in your folder. How do i know when the pack has loaded?[/quote]
when i install a texture pack, i click the texture pack from the menu
then minecraft becomes kinda unresponsive for a few seconds.
If you are experiencing this many problems you should consider looking at another guide

Mr_Israel

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:58 AM

You're the best guide out there my friend... So now something different is going on... The only way i can get it to work is by compressing the .png in to a .zip which means i can only edit one pic per "texture pack"...