• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Ghift
    Ghift

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:34 AM

I've been trying to host a server for a while that both me and my friend(s) can play on - we have someone to host a server for now, but she has the problem with unplayable lag and can't even play on her own server, the same for another friend that I really want the chance to play with.

The problem is that I'm on a shared internet connection in a dorm which blocks the port 25565 and because of that I can't do anything about the blocked port with there being no router for me to go through etc.

I've seen the option to change ports on the default server software and MCAdmin, which I can't use for other reasons revolving around running the launcher from a .bin thanks to the 'Could not create virtual machine' error.

What other ports are usable? Can I just shove any old port in there and have it work? Is there a specific range? Is it actually doable at all?

Also as a note, if it might be relevant, Hamachi also doesn't work on this internet. They recently unblocked a lot of gaming related things, but the chat on Ustream and Nico Nico Douga livestreams don't work - presumably for port related reasons.

Register or log in to remove.