• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Glamis
    Glamis

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

I am running a Minecraft server just for my family and an occasional friend to login to. We were running vanilla and having a blast. From what I have read recently, I think we'd get a lot more out of Bukkit or Spigot and the cool stuff you can do with plugins.

Apparently I chose a bad time to consider this switch, since as far as I can tell Bukkit isn't updated to 1.7.2. Spigot seems to have a newer version if I read their info correctly.

Do I have this right so far?

Also, is Spigot just a fork of Bukkit, so Spigot can use all of Bukkit's plugins?

Is Spigot more actively maintained?

For someone new to running with plugins, are there a handful of plugins I should seriously consider right off the bat?

Thanks,

Register or log in to remove.

BeeJesus
    BeeJesus

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:31 PM

Spigot is a fork of Bukkit that has a few performance changes and some extremely useful built in changes. It used to use an entirely different networking library (which really helped it) as Minecraft before 1.7.2 (vanilla switched over to NeTTY, too).

Spigot and Bukkit are the same when it comes to maintaining.

Some plugins I recommend running if you're new to them are:
  • CommandBook: all sorts of useful, basic commands. Nice permissions and plugin system are just the tip of the iceberg compared to it's main competitor (Essentials).
  • eSuite: set of plugins for CommandBook that can handle economy, chat formatting, and a few other actions that probably should have been in CommandBook but aren't yet.
  • Herochat: a chat formatting plugin that's a little complicated, but pretty much unrivaled in the ability to customize it.
  • Vault: an API you're going to have to have installed for chat and economy plugins to work.
  • BanManager: IF you have rowdy players on your server. It requires an SQL database, but is worth the trouble.
  • Prism: absolutely awesome rollback and logging plugin. Logs more events and performs better than just about every other logging plugin.
  • bPermissions: basic permissions plugin that is much easier to use and understand than PEX (which is the current recommendation and highly overkill; I have no idea why it sees so much use among inexperienced admins).
  • WorldEdit: great plugin for massive edits to the world and required for CommandBook (you'd pretty much always have this installed, anyway).
  • SafeEdit: lets you set an amount of blocks WorldEdit can change per tick, allowing you to modify massive amounts of blocks without lagging or crashing your server.
  • WorldGuard: awesome region plugin that does way too much to list here. Look it up.
  • VoxelSniper: plugin that allows you to make fine changes to the environment; awesome for creating natural landscapes (IE mountains).

Glamis
    Glamis

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:45 AM

Thanks BeeJesus. Sounds like Spigot is the way you'd recommend.

I don't think I need any of the ban or permission plugins though since its just for me, my wife, our kids, and a friend or two. We never want to go bigger than that. I make video games for a living and have plenty of other games where I have to maintain/manage a community already. :)

OwuFail
    OwuFail

Zombie Killer

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:48 AM

Definitely recommend bukkit, but if your looking at just a small private server might not even need spigot, but wouldn't hurt anything if you did.

BeeJesus
    BeeJesus

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:08 AM

View PostOwuFail, on 06 November 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

Definitely recommend bukkit, but if your looking at just a small private server might not even need spigot, but wouldn't hurt anything if you did.

If you ask me, Spigot's performance increases are more pronounced on smaller servers because it takes better advantage of the limited memory a small server will have, and I especially recommend it for smaller servers for that exact reason.

View PostGlamis, on 06 November 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

Thanks BeeJesus. Sounds like Spigot is the way you'd recommend.

I don't think I need any of the ban or permission plugins though since its just for me, my wife, our kids, and a friend or two. We never want to go bigger than that. I make video games for a living and have plenty of other games where I have to maintain/manage a community already. Posted Image

You're required to have a permissions plugins because just about every other plugin expects it to be there and have it's permissions handled through it. It's easy enough to set up, and just a little time consuming if anything (it really only gets irritating if you're running 30+ plugins).

Glamis
    Glamis

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

Spigot is on the latest version, right?

What is the best link for Spigot's web site?

Jns20
    Jns20

Gold Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 474 posts
  • Minecraft: Jns20
  • Xbox:Jns20

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostGlamis, on 07 November 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

Spigot is on the latest version, right?

What is the best link for Spigot's web site?
1.7.2 version found here
http://ci.md-5.net/job/Spigot-1.7/

Their main page though
http://www.spigotmc.org/

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Notchy_NET
    Notchy_NET

Zombie Killer

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

Spigot is essentially a more performance-savvy version of Bukkit. They currently have a 1.6.4 server version released that enables 1.7 clients to connect to the server. The server isn't truly 1.7 though, so any new features won't work.

You'll be able to login to the server with your 1.7 client, but new world generation features and blocks in 1.7 do not currently exist on the server side of things. They should have a true 1.7 version ready soon.

Posted Image

Premium hosting without the premium price!

^ We've slashed our prices even further! ^

WaternRibbon

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:48 AM

View PostNotchy_NET, on 07 November 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

Spigot is essentially a more performance-savvy version of Bukkit. They currently have a 1.6.4 server version released that enables 1.7 clients to connect to the server. The server isn't truly 1.7 though, so any new features won't work.

You'll be able to login to the server with your 1.7 client, but new world generation features and blocks in 1.7 do not currently exist on the server side of things. They should have a true 1.7 version ready soon.
but some servers have a Amplified world what do they use?

Nomar
    Nomar

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Minecraft: NomarTheHero

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostWaternRibbon, on 14 November 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

but some servers have a Amplified world what do they use?

Vanilla 1.7 server.jar.

Dobsonium

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:29 AM

For any one interested SpigotMC now has a 1.7.2 release

http://www.spigotmc.org/

http://ci.md-5.net/job/Spigot/