• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Farming Acacia & Dark Oak

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Kwitcherbelyakin

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

Has anyone made underground farms for the new trees? I was curious what the minimum space requirements would be. I see the minecraft wiki hasn't been updated to include that info yet:

http://minecraft.gam...and_Birch_Trees

If I get around to it before anyone posts, I'll post my own results here. (may be a while, tho)

Dark Oak: Looks like they need a space of 2 blocks between each other / walls, and 7 blocks height to grow in.

Acacia: No idea yet. lol

Register or log in to remove.

Badprenup
    Badprenup

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11001 posts
  • Minecraft: Badprenup

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:37 AM

I was doing some research for this thread and then lost track of things. Basically, the Dark Oak needs a 5x5x7 block of Air centered over the North West Sapling, as that is treated as the Tree's center. Kind of similar to Jungle Trees.

Acacia needs a 3x3x7 Block of Air centered over the Acacia Sapling. Other than that it doesn't need much.
Looks like my free time is going to be divided equally between Minecraft suggestions and Starbound suggestions from now on.

Kwitcherbelyakin

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

Sweet, thanks! I hadn't started farting around with Acacia yet.

(I've spread the dark oaks out a bit more now, in order to increase sapling drops - 4 blocks between each trunk seems to keep me ahead of the game.)

Kwitcherbelyakin

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

I've been noticing something about the Dark Oak's canopies - it appears that they always attempt to join to it's "nearest neighbour"; they tend to "shift" towards the nearest pre-existing Dark Oak canopy, with north being the default direction if there's more than 1 tree canopy pre-existing, equidistant.

Here's an example. The nearest 2 trees on the right were last to spawn. Their canopies are "shifted" towards the north. I keep coming across this...

Posted Image

Kwitcherbelyakin

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

OK so here's where I'm at now. Note that I'm not necessarily attempting to go for maximum space efficiency; I prefer to balance that out with sustainability, by ensuring that I always get enough saplings to replant + a few extra. I've found sustainability can be a problem with dark oak especially, if planted too close together. Need as much canopy as possible. But it's OK, as the rewards are worth it.

(I forgot to enter the left-right spacing for Dark Oak - it's 5 blocks)

Posted Image

The Results:

Dark Oak

Wood: 204
Saplings: 32
Apples: 2
(need 24 saplings)

Acacia

Wood: 115
Saplings: 25
(need 20 saplings)

Jungle

Wood: 130
Saplings: 18
(need 8 saplings)

Results are only from my first harvest. I threw in my jungle stats simply because it was in the screenshot. I planted the Acacia in the same manner as I do Spruce & Birch. Dark Oak is very easy to farm. Acacia is actually OK - while it looks like quite a jumble to chop thru, the canopy is thin (so you can easily see every wood block) and it's all reachable from ground level (same with Dark Oak).

Kwitcherbelyakin

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

Just a note that Acaia seems to take a while to grow in my setup. Not the first ones so much, but it takes longer as more develop. I think it's because of the weird shapes they can grow into; they can block others out, and with so many shape possibilities, it can take a lot of ticks for one to randomly "hit" a positive spawn. I think it may be best to add 1 more block of space between the Acacia saplings, to help counter that.

And Dark Oak is now my go-to wood for non-wood-colour-affected items. (like Charcoal, Sticks, Chests, etc.) The wood amount + sapling return + ease of harvest (never have to leave the ground or hack thru canopy to access the trunk) makes it a real godsend!

Messembrae

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:27 AM

I was having trouble getting enough saplings with the dark oak, so I made a narrow, tall 2x2 giant fir farm. I think it's probably less efficient than your dark oak farm (or even a birch farm, at this point) but the sapling sustainability is huge which lets me replant a giant fir immediately after clearing the first.

Kwitcherbelyakin

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

hmm that's too bad. The dark oak farm (the layout is in that picture above) I'm using leaves me with 2-12 extra saplings after each harvest/re-planting. Very sustainable. :) Just need enough room to allow the canopies to grow as large as they can.