• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

tommod
    tommod

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

My brother is having trouble connecting to Minecraft multiplayer servers on the university internet connection in his halls of residence. What happens is he connects to the server, but appears to be falling endlessly through the terrain until he gets a "timed out" error and disconnects. He can play other online games on the same connection with no problems.

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered a similar problem, and knows if there is a way round this? I have a private server at my house that he was initially trying to connect to, and before we discovered the same thing happening on other servers we thought the problem could be server-side. I know others can connect to my server without a problem.

So, it's likely to be something to do with the uni network. Would maybe altering the server port allow him to connect successfully, or is there more to it than that?

Your help is much appreciated!

Register or log in to remove.

Teriki Tora

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

Hundreds of others have this same problem due to the 1.3.01 build, and no solution has been found yet.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=190756
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=191499

I too have a good enough internet connection to play with pings between 60 (servers near home) to 200 (servers across the world) on extremely active games. Not to mention that I can also run games required for quad-core 2.4 Gig games with my junky 2-gig single core (XD) with no slowdown. So I'm in good shape to run a much simpler game than something like Battlefield.

Have you gotten a local server to work? Because I can get Hamachi servers and local servers to work with little to no lag (if I run a server on the same computer as my game, I'm obviously gonna get lag because my core is splitting two 512MB processes between the two), however anything that's public like Yogscast's servers for example (It's an example!), or a random person's IP server like 111.168.09.225, I'll get the said problem.
I don't make skins anymore because I'm going to be working. I'll do private ones here and there, but basically won't be making them for the public anymore.