• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Dark Oak Wood Sapling Drop Rate Too Low

dark oak wood 1.7.2 saplings

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Dark Oak Wood Drop Rate (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Are dark oak wood sapling drop rates too low?

1. Yes. (16 votes [53.33%])

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

2. No. (14 votes [46.67%])

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

MrSheepCo
  • Minecraft: thesheepcompany

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

Trees in minecraft are supposed to be a sustainable resource, now roofed forests have an abundant source of wood but without use of enchants like fortune the dark oak wood drop rates are below what you need to grow a tree (which requires 4 saplings) I have a play style in which I don't use enchants and I can't get the dark oak wood I need as I've run out of saplings. What do you guys think?

Register or log in to remove.

EnderCreeper168

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

Do you know the actual percentage to proof that it isn't just bad luck?

Posted Image

MrSheepCo

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostEnderCreeper168, on 01 November 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

Do you know the actual percentage to proof that it isn't just bad luck?

It has a 1/20 chance to drop and there is probably around 20-30 leaves per tree, takes 4 saplings to grow a tree, Also, many others have been having my same problem.

SirSmuggler

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

I collected 4 dark oak sapplings and brought them back to my mesa home. I've been planting chopping and replanting ever since then (with no enchantments) and my sappling supply keeps growing. True, every now and again you get less then 4 sapplings from one tree, but the average is clearly more then 4 per tree.

MrSheepCo

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

View PostSirSmuggler, on 01 November 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

I collected 4 dark oak sapplings and brought them back to my mesa home. I've been planting chopping and replanting ever since then (with no enchantments) and my sappling supply keeps growing. True, every now and again you get less then 4 sapplings from one tree, but the average is clearly more then 4 per tree.

Good to see it worked out for someone, I still have a problem with the drops, perhaps I am just getting unlucky.

willifolts
    willifolts

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 907 posts
  • Minecraft: willifolts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

My current 1.7 world does quite fine. I live in a dark forest biome (I love the new wood) and find that the sapling drop rates aren't that bad. I usually get 2-4 saplings per tree, which is about enough for a sustainable farm.
Ever hear of something called running away? Its like running towards them, but without the confrontation and death.

King Korihor

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:56 AM

View Postwillifolts, on 01 November 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

My current 1.7 world does quite fine. I live in a dark forest biome (I love the new wood) and find that the sapling drop rates aren't that bad. I usually get 2-4 saplings per tree, which is about enough for a sustainable farm.

I guess that does better than the Jungle trees, where I usually get 1.2-1.5 saplings (yes, that is a part of a sapling as in averaged over a whole forest) per tree.  Technically sustainable, it is still a pain in the behind in terms of trying to build a jungle tree farm and often I never get a sapling from jungle trees.

This tree sounds more typical for other ordinary trees, although with the large oak trees I can often get about 20-40 saplings on a huge tree (way more than I ever need).
Posted Image
Version 2.1 now updated for MC 1.6.2

Otterman
    Otterman

Diamond Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 875 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:11 AM

View Postthesheepcompany, on 01 November 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Good to see it worked out for someone, I still have a problem with the drops, perhaps I am just getting unlucky.

I don't know if this means anything for this post, but a couple of times when I started a map, I cut down normal oak trees and get little to no saplings at the start. Eventually as I play the maps I start getting more saplings from the oak trees. So maybe the chances of getting plenty of dark oak saplings were low to start with for you?

Posted Image

Benjamin5349
  • Minecraft: Benjamin5349

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:43 AM

Watching BdoubleO's Mindcrack videos he had to resort to a Fortune axe to get enough saplings. Maybe that could help you until Mojang changes the drop rate, if they decide to.
"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best."

MrSheepCo

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

View PostOtterman, on 02 November 2013 - 03:11 AM, said:

I don't know if this means anything for this post, but a couple of times when I started a map, I cut down normal oak trees and get little to no saplings at the start. Eventually as I play the maps I start getting more saplings from the oak trees. So maybe the chances of getting plenty of dark oak saplings were low to start with for you?

Perhaps although that seems like something strange to have in the code. I'll play around with it more when I get a chance, yes I've watched Bdub's video. For now I don't have any fortune tools.

SirSmuggler

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

A few thought:
1. Do you manually destroy all the leaf blocks or could it be that sapplings drop when you are not watching and they manage to be destroyed by the 5 minute timer before you return to the site?
2. Are you planting your tree with enough free space around it so that it actualy generates all the leaf blocks it wants to? Planting trees tight together will reduce the amount of new leaf blocks each tree generate.

It can be hard to get started with dark oak and jungle trees alike as you can every now and then end up with no sapplings (or fewer then 4 in the dark oak case). But once you have a small buffer of sapplings, the unlucky cases will be balanced out by the lucky ones and your sappling supply will start to grow.

Darkfyre99

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

View Postthesheepcompany, on 01 November 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Trees in minecraft are supposed to be a sustainable resource, now roofed forests have an abundant source of wood but without use of enchants like fortune the dark oak wood drop rates are below what you need to grow a tree (which requires 4 saplings) I have a play style in which I don't use enchants and I can't get the dark oak wood I need as I've run out of saplings. What do you guys think?

I haven't noticed any deficiency in the drop of dark oak saplings, but out of curiosity, I went to my creative lab and tested this.

Out of four trees tested, I got:7 saplings, 10 saplings and an apple, 5 saplings, and 7 saplings.  While this isn't a significant sample size, it does indicate that if you're not getting enough saplings to renew your supply, you're either very unlucky, or your tree farm isn't designed to maximize your sapling drops.

Ever since they added a game rule to turn natural regeneration off, I've designed my early tree farms to maximize apple drops (and thus sapling drops)  Each oak tree is planted in its own 9x9 area where water flushes all the drops from the leaves into a hopper.  Most tree farms are designed to make harvesting the wood easy, which reduces the number of leaf blocks (and thus sapling drops).
At last, after 38 tries...

Achievement Get:  Silk Touch Pickaxe

Ttzara
    Ttzara

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2015 posts
  • Minecraft: Tzarah

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

The fact that you actually need 4 saplings to grow a 3 makes it feel like is a little bit low. If we were able to grow "normal" dark oaks and big dark oaks (like jungle trees) would be better for the sustainability of dark oaks...

MrSheepCo

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostSirSmuggler, on 02 November 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

A few thought:
1. Do you manually destroy all the leaf blocks or could it be that sapplings drop when you are not watching and they manage to be destroyed by the 5 minute timer before you return to the site?
2. Are you planting your tree with enough free space around it so that it actualy generates all the leaf blocks it wants to? Planting trees tight together will reduce the amount of new leaf blocks each tree generate.

It can be hard to get started with dark oak and jungle trees alike as you can every now and then end up with no sapplings (or fewer then 4 in the dark oak case). But once you have a small buffer of sapplings, the unlucky cases will be balanced out by the lucky ones and your sappling supply will start to grow.

Yes, I know enough to plant my tree in an open space and I was waiting and farming my dark oak wood, none of the sapling despawned.

View PostTtzara, on 02 November 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

The fact that you actually need 4 saplings to grow a 3 makes it feel like is a little bit low. If we were able to grow "normal" dark oaks and big dark oaks (like jungle trees) would be better for the sustainability of dark oaks...

Absolutely.

Ysanoire
    Ysanoire

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

To be honest I never had a problem with this. Typically, one tree drops well over 4 saplings. I brought a bunch of saplings home at one point, planted 2 trees and ever since my dark oak sapling supply keeps going up, not down.

It sounds to me like it was just bad luck on a couple trees for you, not a rule.

MrSheepCo

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostYsanoire, on 02 November 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

To be honest I never had a problem with this. Typically, one tree drops well over 4 saplings. I brought a bunch of saplings home at one point, planted 2 trees and ever since my dark oak sapling supply keeps going up, not down.

It sounds to me like it was just bad luck on a couple trees for you, not a rule.

Well I suppose it was. I'll trek on back 1000 blocks to get me some more saplings... :(

EnderCreeper168

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostKing Korihor, on 02 November 2013 - 02:56 AM, said:

I guess that does better than the Jungle trees, where I usually get 1.2-1.5 saplings (yes, that is a part of a sapling as in averaged over a whole forest) per tree.  Technically sustainable, it is still a pain in the behind in terms of trying to build a jungle tree farm and often I never get a sapling from jungle trees.

This tree sounds more typical for other ordinary trees, although with the large oak trees I can often get about 20-40 saplings on a huge tree (way more than I ever need).
The drop rate of Jungle saplings IS lower than that of other saplings. Every tree (except for the jungle tree) has a drop
change of 1/20. The Jungle tree however, has a drop change of 1/40.

Posted Image

Helderd
    Helderd

Carpenter

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

I started with chopping down 2 dark oak trees, collected the saplings and replanted them, I've had some unlucky trees where I got 2 or 3 saplings only, but I have around 20 saplings in a chest now, so for me the droprate isn't low at all! I feel it's better balanced and more challenging this way. Also I don't have to throw saplings away when I got more than one stack as much as with other trees. :)