• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Swinton
    Swinton

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

This is the second version of my automatic minecart station, serving as a proof of concept for an infinitely looping, unpowered minecart network with the potential for a large number of exits.

This centralized station produces enough power to go twice as far as shown and still return.
Additional boosters can be easily placed anywhere along the track for theoretically boundless travel over any terrain.

The next version should include signs and redstone torches to make it more user friendly and I hope to eventually add an extensive redstone network running underneath the tracks so that you can remotely summon a minecart from any location.

If buttons were larger, this could all be operated from within the cart.

For reference, the long incline to the surface is just over 50 blocks upwards.

Texture pack is a mix of Taehl's Texture Pack, DVan's Brown & Bloom, misc other packs and personal edits.

jZGE9wM_NU0

Thanks to Lightfox in viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21752 for the concept images and video that got me started.

Register or log in to remove.

Supercharazard

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

This is...AWESOME! This would be GREAT for SMP!
Posted Image

chesse20 said:

im not dumb ur a coal miner and im a lava miner so im smarter and cooler
May he never be forgotten. The little troll.

H4x012
    H4x012

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

wow i really need to start using these boosters
Posted ImageMai Caek iz DELISHUS

kutagh
    kutagh

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

Did you take in account that carts freeze when they get outside of your active chunk? I think remotely summoning a cart might be impossible because of that if the tracks are going far away.

Aside from that, nicely done.

Evalora
    Evalora

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

Interesting, don't forget in the event you're bad at boosting properly you can add boosters anywhere along the track to guarantee longevity.

As well, if you're out of the distance, the cart will stop moving, I believe, due to it not processing chunks you aren't around. (Covered by ^, hoi).
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image MMMMANY 100'S.

Ashenden
    Ashenden

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

Pretty cool but hurry up and make version 3.0. He can also just make holding stations for carts in each chunk to get around them stopping, I believe/

Swinton
    Swinton

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

kutagh said:

Did you take in account that carts freeze when they get outside of your active chunk? I think remotely summoning a cart might be impossible because of that if the tracks are going far away.

Aside from that, nicely done.
I didn't think of that, but I'll do some tests on how far they can go before freezing and then try putting a loop station just before the freeze point, allowing you to ride from station to station.

Every station needs to have it's exits terminate in a loop, so the cart returns to the station.
The loop can be placed right next to another station, so you'd just hop off as it approaches the loop and walk 5 blocks to hop on a new cart and keep going the direction you want.

It'll be up to players to use it properly, because I don't think it can ever be flawless.

All suggestions on how to improve it are welcome.

Evalora
    Evalora

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

A smallish ramp with the cart resting on the top easily accessible from the opposite side, so it can be manually started easily when it fails, instead of having to rely on push speed.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image MMMMANY 100'S.

fr0stbyte124

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

I was working on a station like this, except my design has you standing on a pressure plate while you wait to catch the cart.  That way, once you are in it automatically switches the track for you.

The Chosen One

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

Truly epic my friend! (even tho i dont know u) is there a dl link to that texture pack?

Corbald
    Corbald

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:50 PM

fr0stbyte124 said:

I was working on a station like this, except my design has you standing on a pressure plate while you wait to catch the cart.  That way, once you are in it automatically switches the track for you.

Wow, that's brilliant. Gonna have to try that idea. I was thinking of having the carts in a boosted holding area, constantly looping. Then you enter the boarding area, which is just a 1x2x2 hallway with a pressure plate. The cart would enter another looping area that is within a 1x2x? looped area, but accessible only by a 1 high slot, which you would right click through. Releasing the pressure plate when you board would then release the cart on to the main track.
Cure for 'Summertime Blues' found! Entails painful injections to scrotum.

'Elmer Fudd Blues' Still tragically lethal.

tb2571989

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:54 PM

Is this save avalible? I'd love to take a good look at this.
For Science. You Monster.
Posted Image

TheRMF
    TheRMF

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:56 PM

This thread is the most brilliant thread I've seen in a while.
Founder of the church of the Five Unholy Druids.
Anarcho-Communists of Minecraftia
Posted Image

Sven_The_Slayer

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:00 PM

Sounds like a glitch... glitches usually get patched...
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Playing Minecraft since [Friday, March 19, 2010, 9:20:21 PM] (First indev world save)

ConflagratedCanine
  • Minecraft: Firewolf

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:03 PM

Sven_The_Slayer said:

Considering how useful this one is, hopefully notch buffs Powered Minecarts in the same patch. :P
(although to be honest, I prefer this method, it's so cool and mechanical feeling)

Sven_The_Slayer

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:05 PM

ConflagratedCanine said:

Sven_The_Slayer said:

Considering how useful this one is, hopefully notch buffs Powered Minecarts in the same patch. :P
(although to be honest, I prefer this method, it's so cool and mechanical feeling)

No doubt we will get a power increase to powered carts, I'm surprised we didn't get it in this update.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Playing Minecraft since [Friday, March 19, 2010, 9:20:21 PM] (First indev world save)

Swinton
    Swinton

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:33 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone.

Novus said:

A smallish ramp with the cart resting on the top easily accessible from the opposite side, so it can be manually started easily when it fails, instead of having to rely on push speed.

Hopefully I won't need anything like that.

fr0stbyte124 said:

I'm working on something involving pressure plates now, if it looks and works good I'll use it because I dislike the buttons.

pers2981 said:

Truly epic my friend! (even tho i dont know u) is there a dl link to that texture pack?

My current setup is a bit too broken to distribute, but if you install Taehl's Texture Pack and grab my edits off page 9 you'll be fairly close.

Sven_The_Slayer said:

This can very easily be adapted into an un-boosted system if I ever have to switch to using powered carts, though I'll have to constantly refill them.

tb2571989 said:

Is this save avalible? I'd love to take a good look at this.

There's nothing involved that isn't shown in the video, though if you're confused about something I can explain it in detail. As for uploading the save, I've already modified it significantly into a much less presentable state, as I work on testing new methods.

Kaji
    Kaji

Carpenter

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:48 AM

One thing I noticed, if not mentioned before, is that the cart will go further with more boosts. The type of cart matters as well. Example is for a round trip on my track, I needed 2 boosts to carry myself and 6 boosts for a storage cart.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

wempa
    wempa

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:55 AM

Posted Image

Whoa, this thing pumps a LOT of momentum into the cart after just one go!

Building my own sky railroad with some switches right now, although going at it without a plan results in redstone paths underground twisting and NOT gates out of the blue.
I put both a lever up on the platform and a pressure plate at the lake.

The delay between using the lever and the track turning is about 1 second.

Subhazard

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:53 AM

This thread is to awesome to let it fall to page 2. I just made a taxi service. I step on a button and it sends one out for me.  The cart picks me up and I go home.  All I had to do was stand on a button.
Posted Image