Latest News Article

Thaumcraft 4.1.1.9 (Updated 16/4/2014)

1.7.2 forge api

• Please log in to reply
11488 replies to this topic

SoundLogic

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

Couple of things I want to say:
Forced crooked labels seem rather harsh. As someone with ocd, this sort of thing does bug me. The crooked labels are not currently bugging me TOO much, but I can definitely see it being problematic for others.
Also, magic mirrors:
I think it would be better if they required the essentia cost up front. Currently you can send up to a stack of items through without cost
A visual difference if they are 'charged'.
Some explanation of how the hand mirror compares to them. I know in the past it was 'cost more vis', but that obviously won't work now.
Options for increased use cost. I know compared to things like ender chests they are cheap, but still, in the absence of it, costing one boat per 4 stacks of items seems pretty cheap for unlimited range, instant transport

Register or log in to remove.

BothynusSS01

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:55 PM

These filtered essentia tubes are confusing, how exactly do I label them? I've been trying to put jar labels on but they aren't working..Posted Image

TheFlyingBanana

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:17 AM

View PostBothynusSS01, on 24 November 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

These filtered essentia tubes are confusing, how exactly do I label them? I've been trying to put jar labels on but they aren't working..Posted Image

You need to have assigned an aspect to the label first. Craft the label with a phial of whatever aspect you want.

IStoneI
    IStoneI

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1131 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:18 AM

View PostSoundLogic, on 24 November 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

Couple of things I want to say:
Forced crooked labels seem rather harsh. As someone with ocd, this sort of thing does bug me. The crooked labels are not currently bugging me TOO much, but I can definitely see it being problematic for others.
Also, magic mirrors:
I think it would be better if they required the essentia cost up front. Currently you can send up to a stack of items through without cost
A visual difference if they are 'charged'.
Some explanation of how the hand mirror compares to them. I know in the past it was 'cost more vis', but that obviously won't work now.
Options for increased use cost. I know compared to things like ender chests they are cheap, but still, in the absence of it, costing one boat per 4 stacks of items seems pretty cheap for unlimited range, instant transport

tbh, im not shure what to think of the mirrors requiring essentia to run.

even with void jars to automatically get rid of excess essentia, boats are something you have to craft, and then cook up by yourself. so they require constant mainainance for automated builds. since there is no autocrafting option in thaumcraft or vanilla mc.

it takes a little bit of fun out of the mirrors and makes big builds with them impossible.

unless azanor is indeed planning on a way of combining essentia. the it would be possible for automated builds, that are powered by farms to produce a constant flow of a certain essentia.

BothynusSS01

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

View PostTheFlyingBanana, on 25 November 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

You need to have assigned an aspect to the label first. Craft the label with a phial of whatever aspect you want.
Ooh, never knew that. Thanks!

oedipusTrex

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:33 AM

I keep getting a crash whenever I get near tainted areas. Anyone have an idea what's going on? I'm not sure how to interpret crash reports. Thanks in advance!

Spoiler:

edit: Oh! Almost forgot to mention: this crash only happens when I turn off "peaceful" mode. So I think the problem is with a tainted mob?

jerseyknoll

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:38 AM

Updated to 4.0.5b, now when breaking a warded jar I get an intrnal server error on SMP haven't tested on SSP.

Ended up just being an ID conflict with the Travel Trunk.

Ethinolicbob

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

View PostIStoneI, on 25 November 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

tbh, im not shure what to think of the mirrors requiring essentia to run.

If you ever go to the end and get an end farm you will find that getting essentia to run the mirrors is a trivial matter

Eruantien
  • Minecraft: eruantien_h

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:12 AM

Wow. Apparently Azanor pulled another ninja on me. And I'm still sorting ID conflicts (with other mods), so I can't even begin my new world yet.

*sigh*
If anybody could provide some good modding tutorials for 1.7, I'd be very grateful.

IStoneI
    IStoneI

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1131 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:22 AM

View PostEthinolicbob, on 25 November 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

If you ever go to the end and get an end farm you will find that getting essentia to run the mirrors is a trivial matter

still. you have to perform a lot of maintainance by replacing empty jars at remote locations.

TheFlyingBanana

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:36 AM

View PostIStoneI, on 25 November 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

still. you have to perform a lot of maintainance by replacing empty jars at remote locations.

One Iter transports a stack of items. Leave a few jars there and it's not like you'll be heading out too frequently.

jerseyknoll

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:54 AM

Just checked. This crash does not happen in single player.

View Postjerseyknoll, on 25 November 2013 - 12:38 AM, said:

Updated to 4.0.5b, now when breaking a warded jar I get an intrnal server error on SMP haven't tested on SSP.

Ethinolicbob

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:57 AM

View PostTheFlyingBanana, on 25 November 2013 - 01:36 AM, said:

One Iter transports a stack of items. Leave a few jars there and it's not like you'll be heading out too frequently.
Exactly.
A few minutes at the end and I get around 8 jars of Iter. 512 stacks of items. Needless to say I have not need to refill any mirrors since I set them up

Paceboy77

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:13 AM

I'm having problems with my pipes thinking its ok to pull lucrum out of a jar containing 24 and putting 1 lucrum in 5 different jars.  

A way to fix this would be to put more priority on jars that have more essentia, as in (1 being the highest priority)
1 - Labelled Jars                                                2 - Void jars, growth lamp, etc
3 - Jars containing 64 essentia                          4 - Jars containing 63 essentia
And so on, you could imagine this going all the way to an empty jar having one of the lowest priorities above distillers and the centrifuge.

IStoneI
    IStoneI

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1131 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:04 AM

View PostPaceboy77, on 25 November 2013 - 02:13 AM, said:

I'm having problems with my pipes thinking its ok to pull lucrum out of a jar containing 24 and putting 1 lucrum in 5 different jars.  

A way to fix this would be to put more priority on jars that have more essentia, as in (1 being the highest priority)
1 - Labelled Jars 2 - Void jars, growth lamp, etc
3 - Jars containing 64 essentia   4 - Jars containing 63 essentia
And so on, you could imagine this going all the way to an empty jar having one of the lowest priorities above distillers and the centrifuge.

i dont understand your problem exactly.

a labeled jar should have a higher pull than unlabled jars. so it should draw in all the lucrum. is it not working for you?

esotericist

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

View PostIStoneI, on 24 November 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

woooow, if its such a big deal over such a small thing, its the definition of ocd
if you HAVE to have the lables on your jars straight, or you cant play, even though it doesnt actually interfere with the ability to read them.^^
just really. think about what youre complaining over there for a second.

View PostIStoneI, on 24 November 2013 - 10:27 PM, said:

im not trivializing it. as with most disorders, people have them to varying degrees.
if something like crooked lables bother you to the point, that you cant play the mod, its definitely a case of ocd.

First: No. I do not have OCD. Dismissing my complaints as "that's OCD" is a) rude, b) presumptive, and c) as others said, trivializing OCD in cases for others where it might actually be debilitating.

I did not say I cannot play the mod or cannot play. Someone else said this, but it was not me. I said that I cannot use labels. This is an important distinction: If I was OCD  in the fashion you are assuming, the existence of crooked labels would be anathema to me. It isn't. It severely irritating to me, because I choose to keep things orderly in my in-game workspaces. Azanor's design decision to enforce crooked labels is removing the choice I would have made, and, in fact, the choice that would be default in most things minecraft. This is particularly baffling when you consider that the infusion system punishes you for not having your crap together.

Wanting to have things the way I choose to have them is not a disorder. But even if it was? It shouldn't matter.

People are expressing severe displeasure on a non-mechanical facet of a game mechanic, one which is at odds with both minecraft in general and other elements of thaumcraft, and it might actually be harmful to some of them.

This warrants attention beyond classifying it as a non-problem, which is what makes it a 'big deal'. Telling someone that they don't have a valid issue is always going to escalate things, and it's honestly quite disrespectful.

View PostTPB, on 24 November 2013 - 10:55 PM, said:

Does grass also affect in the same way, since it's de-centered, most of the time?
Prehaps a simple solution could be a resource pack with round essentia labels? (dunno how easy could actually be, but prehaps faster than Azanor changing the code / adding a config)

Nope, grass isn't my problem, because I didn't put it there. A round label would annoy me in a different way, in that things in the minecraft world (as opposed to inventory) generally are not round. There's an aesthetic consistency issue here. I can dismiss some of the curved things in Thaumcraft as this world's equivalent to lovecraftian geometry, but a label shouldn't be in that category.

moonra
    moonra

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:51 AM

View PostEruantien, on 25 November 2013 - 01:12 AM, said:

Wow. Apparently Azanor pulled another ninja on me. And I'm still sorting ID conflicts (with other mods), so I can't even begin my new world yet.*sigh*
Are you letting Forge handle the IDs from all the mods at once [i.e. delete all the mods' configs and let them create it at once]? I did that while experimenting with the configs for a new world and I got exactly zero ID conflicts.

Oh noes, there goes my 666 post count.

Auric245524
    Auric245524

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1068 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:35 AM

View Postesotericist, on 25 November 2013 - 03:24 AM, said:

I did not say I cannot play the mod or cannot play. Someone else said this, but it was not me. I said that I cannot use labels. This is an important distinction: If I was OCD  in the fashion you are assuming, the existence of crooked labels would be anathema to me. It isn't. It severely irritating to me, because I choose to keep things orderly in my in-game workspaces.

Much like TPD I have an honest question and I am in no way intending to be rude. If crooked labels irritate you to the point of you not using them anymore then wouldn't that be considered OCD-like behavior? I'm not saying you have OCD (Minecraft OCD maybe. I've got a mild case of it myself.) I'm just having a hard time understanding the point your trying to make there.
If you are posting a crash log please be courteous to others and use spoilers. Not many people enjoy scrolling past a huge wall of text. Example of a spoiler:
Spoiler:

LordEric
    LordEric

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:53 AM

View PostAuric245524, on 25 November 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:

Much like TPD I have an honest question and I am in no way intending to be rude. If crooked labels irritate you to the point of you not using them anymore then wouldn't that be considered OCD-like behavior? I'm not saying you have OCD (Minecraft OCD maybe. I've got a mild case of it myself.) I'm just having a hard time understanding the point your trying to make there.

OCD is a very specific psychological disorder, characterized by extreme irrational anxieties and attemts to relive those anxieties through repetitive behaviors. Hating a particular bit of untidiness comes nowhere close, no matter how strong or specific the feeling is.

Here, educate yourself.
You want a farm, you grab a hoe. You want a boat, you grab some wood. You want a fireplace, you grab A FLAMING HELL-BOULDER BECAUSE THAT'S HOW MINECRAFTERS ROLL!!!
Posted Image

Auric245524
    Auric245524

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1068 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:49 AM

View PostLordEric, on 25 November 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

OCD is a very specific psychological disorder, characterized by extreme irrational anxieties and attemts to relive those anxieties through repetitive behaviors. Hating a particular bit of untidiness comes nowhere close, no matter how strong or specific the feeling is.

Here, educate yourself.

Ok then, seems I misunderstood OCD. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
If you are posting a crash log please be courteous to others and use spoilers. Not many people enjoy scrolling past a huge wall of text. Example of a spoiler:
Spoiler: