Currently*, there is no way of automatically transporting items into chests (which is quite useful for animal traps for example). There is the dispenser, which does some sort of the opposite thing, but there aren't many uses for it. So I imagined a way to change that by introducing
* In the meantime, Mojang started to implement their own version the allocator in form of two new blocks, called the Hopper and the Dropper.
This thread might not yet be obsolete though, because it is still very useful to have a discussion about the core mechanics of such a block.
What does it do?
It is similar to the dispenser, except that it doesn't have its own storage. It has an input and an output. It will suck in items from the input (like a vacuum cleaner) and eject them at the output. If a chest or a dispenser is adjacent to this block, it will be used as an input or output depending on the side. Arrows on it indicate what it will use as an input and output. An arrow pointing towards the hole means in and an arrow pointing away from it means out.
So I made a little mod to illustrate how this could work.
Here are some videos, that explain how it works in detail. Note that these videos are a bit outdated. As of now, the allocator now always randomly picks up entire stacks of items and passes them through.
This video can also be watched in the videos section: http://www.minecraft...-the-allocator/
More videos can be found on my channel.
What do you think about it? I think it will add a whole bunch of new possibilities to the game and make it more dynamic. I also don't think that it will necessarily replace the dispenser, because it doesn't have its own storage (and will be more expensive of course).
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the Allocator work in both directions?
No, it is intended to be unidirectional.
Does it have an internal storage?
No it only passes items on.
Does it shoot with eggs or arrows?
No, because that woul make the dispenser .... dispensable
What is a legal input device?
(double-)chests, furnaces (resulting item slot), dispensers and storage minecarts.
What is a legal output device?
(double-)chests, furnaces (smeltable item and fuel slot), dispensers and storage minecarts.
How is it triggered?
It is triggered exactly like a dispenser.
What happens if the output is full?
No items will be processed.
What, if another block is blocking the output?
No items will be processed.
Can it stack items?
Does it reset the item's "despawn counter"?
Can Allocators put an item in another Allocators filter slot?
How can I make my own schematics?
You can use these images to make your schematics:
How can I support it?
There are several ways to support this idea:
◘ You can "like" this idea on get satisfaction.
◘ Express your oppinion on the Reddit thread by phillips1012
◘ You can download my mod, which includes the allocator and build something really awesome, upload a video of it on youtube and post it here or in the "get satisfaction" thread.
◘ You can tell
◘ You can also put one of these support banners into your signature:
Achievement Banner by dann494:
Here is a smaller banner (made by ZeroZ30o):
What people say about the allocator
- The allocator mod is awesome (Thank you, jeb_ )
- this is one of the best things i have seen today!
- At first, I thought this was a stupid idea. But then I saw, and I was like "Best idea ever."
- i cant even criticize or comment on it, it's just too good.
- seems original, seems awesome, seems to work. I like it sounds good haha.
- And why has this not been included in MC already?
- Anyone notice the first page of suggestions is looking pretty weak today? Oh wait, now it isn't.
- Holy crap, that's a very well thought out suggestion with a great use possibility, +100 support if i can D:
- Great idea! , They should add it to the real minecraft,
- omg dude you are epic, this needs to be emailed to Notch ASAP! ^100 x 100000000 for you!
- Support, sign, donate lung.
- This should be put into the game immediately.
- This deserves more attention!!
- Finally an idea that is both SIMPLE and USEFULL.
- Totally awesome! I’m already dreaming up possibilities...
- This thing really has overwhelming support, i hope it catches the attention of notch
- Congrats, this is the first suggestion that I actually love and would love to see in the game
- This is one of the most exciting suggestions of recent times.
- a big step towards greater comfort
- OMG! Its super-fantastic!! I want it so badly!
- I love the allocator.
- I really love this idea. It's the first one I've found that I think should actually be in the game, and I think it's pretty genius.
- perfect! exactly what i was looking for!
- This looks insanely useful and fun.
- OVER NINE THOUSAND for you!
- I love this idea too! I love it so much I think it should stay on the front page because it would help reduce the amount of crap on that page! Say YES to the Allocator and say NO to Crap Suggestion Topics!
- Solid idea. Its a simple mechanic itself, but it has so many possible applications. Which is a great way for things to work.
- I am interested to see this interact with the piston mod.
- This is as awesome as awesome could be. There are very few ideas on the forums that I believe should be implemented into the actual game, and this is one of them.
Thanks in advance,
I suggest, that mod specific suggestions (such as multiplayer support) or bugs should be posted in the mod thread, general suggestions (such as crafting recipes) can be discussed in here.