Pfaeff
    Pfaeff

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

POPULAR

Hi there,

Currently*, there is no way of automatically transporting items into chests (which is quite useful for animal traps for example). There is the dispenser, which does some sort of the opposite thing, but there aren't many uses for it. So I imagined a way to change that by introducing

Posted Image

What does it do?

It is similar to the dispenser, except that it doesn't have its own storage. It has an input and an output. It will suck in items from the input (like a vacuum cleaner) and eject them at the output. If a chest or a dispenser is adjacent to this block, it will be used as an input or output depending on the side. Arrows on it indicate what it will use as an input and output. An arrow pointing towards the hole means in and an arrow pointing away from it means out.

So I made a little mod to illustrate how this could work.

Here are some videos, that explain how it works in detail. Note that these videos are a bit outdated. As of now, the allocator now always randomly picks up entire stacks of items and passes them through.

Introduction

This video can also be watched in the videos section: http://www.minecraft...-the-allocator/

Examples

More videos can be found on my channel.

What do you think about it? I think it will add a whole bunch of new possibilities to the game and make it more dynamic. I also don't think that it will necessarily replace the dispenser, because it doesn't have its own storage (and will be more expensive of course).

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the Allocator work in both directions?
No, it is intended to be unidirectional.

Does it have an internal storage?
No it only passes items on.

Does it shoot with eggs or arrows?
No, because that woul make the dispenser .... dispensable Posted Image

What is a legal input device?
(double-)chests, furnaces (resulting item slot), dispensers and storage minecarts.

What is a legal output device?
(double-)chests, furnaces (smeltable item and fuel slot), dispensers and storage minecarts.

How is it triggered?
It is triggered exactly like a dispenser.

What happens if the output is full?
No items will be processed.

What, if another block is blocking the output?
No items will be processed.

Can it stack items?
Yes.

Does it reset the item's "despawn counter"?
Yes.

Can Allocators put an item in another Allocators filter slot?
Yes.

How can I make my own schematics?
You can use these images to make your schematics:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

for example:  Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image

How can I support it?

There are several ways to support this idea:

◘ You can "like" this idea on get satisfaction.
◘ Express your oppinion on the Reddit thread by phillips1012
◘ You can download my mod, which includes the allocator and build something really awesome, upload a video of it on youtube and post it here or in the "get satisfaction" thread.
◘ You can tell Notch Jeb ^^
◘ You can also put one of these support banners into your signature:

Achievement Banner by dann494:

Posted Image
[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=216208][img]http://i.imgur.com/vu8Tm.png[/img][/url]

Here is a smaller banner (made by ZeroZ30o):

Posted Image
[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=216208][img]http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4955/supporttheallocator.png[/img][/url]

What people say about the allocator

• The allocator mod is awesome (Thank you, jeb_ Posted Image )
  • this is one of the best things i have seen today!
  • At first, I thought this was a stupid idea. But then I saw, and I was like "Best idea ever."
  • i cant even criticize or comment on it, it's just too good.
  • seems original, seems awesome, seems to work. I like it sounds good haha.
  • And why has this not been included in MC already?
  • Anyone notice the first page of suggestions is looking pretty weak today? Oh wait, now it isn't.
  • Holy crap, that's a very well thought out suggestion with a great use possibility, +100 support if i can D:
  • Great idea! Posted Image , They should add it to the real minecraft,
  • omg dude you are epic, this needs to be emailed to Notch ASAP!  Posted Image ^100 x 100000000 for you!
  • Support, sign, donate lung.
  • This should be put into the game immediately.
  • This deserves more attention!!
  • Finally an idea that is both SIMPLE and USEFULL.
  • Totally awesome! I’m already dreaming up possibilities...
  • This thing really has overwhelming support, i hope it catches the attention of notch
  • Congrats, this is the first suggestion that I actually love and would love to see in the game Posted Image
  • This is one of the most exciting suggestions of recent times.
  • a big step towards greater comfort
  • OMG! Its super-fantastic!! I want it so badly!
  • I love the allocator.
  • I really love this idea. It's the first one I've found that I think should actually be in the game, and I think it's pretty genius.
  • perfect! exactly what i was looking for!
  • This looks insanely useful and fun.
  • OVER NINE THOUSAND Posted Image for you!
  • I love this idea too! I love it so much I think it should stay on the front page because it would help reduce the amount of crap on that page! Say YES to the Allocator and say NO to Crap Suggestion Topics!
  • Solid idea. Its a simple mechanic itself, but it has so many possible applications. Which is a great way for things to work.
  • I am interested to see this interact with the piston mod.
  • This is as awesome as awesome could be. There are very few ideas on the forums that I believe should be implemented into the actual game, and this is one of them.

Thanks in advance,
Pfaeff

I suggest, that mod specific suggestions (such as multiplayer support) or bugs should be posted in the mod thread, general suggestions (such as crafting recipes) can be discussed in here.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Ygdrasel
    Ygdrasel

Blaze Extinguisher

• Banned
  • 4935 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

Yes. Do it.  :Diamond:

der_schlaefer

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

Oh yes please, it would be a big step towards greater comfort!
Allocators transporting stuff into a water channel flowing towards my main base and then picking it out again and storing it in a chest would be so awesome.

To distinguish it from the dispenser, I wouldn't make it shoot arrows, snowballs etc. It would just drop them, right?

Arkisys
    Arkisys

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1588 posts
  • Minecraft: Arkisys

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

Pretty good but if you have switch and you turn it on would it stay on and continue to suck in and spit out items? Or would you have to turn the switch off and on to make it start? Because if it doesnt stay on i dont see what uses it has.

Warlord255

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:21 PM

Yea, this needs to happen asap.

Bobbunny

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

yes
:P  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:
Posted Image
Yes I am a ____________ Miner.
Yes I have no profile picture.
Yes that is a bad idea.

Noshire
    Noshire

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:23 PM

You've just successfully taken 3 of my ideas, implemented them in a way better than what I could ever have imagined, and thus earned my total approval on every single word in this thread of yours.

Simply put, this needs to be in the game. The Allocator, the bounce pads and the trap chests. They all serve a large number of different purposes, and they all work together to create even more complex chains. I could imagine building complex and unbelievably awesome traps triggered by fake treasure chests or fully automated harvesting mechanisms - possibly even re-routing the loot to different chests - with those new elements.

Please notify us in this thread here if you release the mod, I feel a sudden urge to use the Allocator in most of my buildings to date.

Arkisys said:

Pretty good but if you have switch and you turn it on would it stay on and continue to suck in and spit out items? Or would you have to turn the switch off and on to make it start? Because if it doesnt stay on i dont see what uses it has.

You could just use a clock. This has the added advantage of letting you determine the exact interval of emitting objects.

zxcvbnm
    zxcvbnm

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:28 PM

very good idea !!
here's a diamond:  :P

Pfaeff
    Pfaeff

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

Thanks a lot :P I let you know, when it gets released.

der_schlaefer said:

Oh yes please, it would be a big step towards greater comfort!
Allocators transporting stuff into a water channel flowing towards my main base and then picking it out again and storing it in a chest would be so awesome.

To distinguish it from the dispenser, I wouldn't make it shoot arrows, snowballs etc. It would just drop them, right?
That is how I imagined it and that is how it works atm.

Arkisys said:

It works just like the dispenser, meaning that it triggers only once. But you can use a clock (like I did in the second video) to trigger it periodically.
Posted Image

Ygdrasel
    Ygdrasel

Blaze Extinguisher

• Banned
  • 4935 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

Must release this as a mod immediately.

Loonybin
    Loonybin

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

support. :Glass:  :P  :Glass:  :Glass:

RaTheBadger
  • Minecraft: Dan_Crane

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:20 PM

Certainly! Diamonds for you!  :D
Also, what is with the dog..? Is that another mod you are making, or what?
Posted Image

Petmanmu
    Petmanmu

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 665 posts
  • Minecraft: AbeMuldvarp

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

Wow awesome  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  

By the way that pig or eh "dog" is funny. I'm like WOW this "Allocator" is so nice "Bark Bark" hehe it is so distracting! :D

View PostStingray56, on 03 July 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

Herobrine is a lie. Anyone who believes otherwise is mentally retarded. End. Of. The. Goddamn. Story.

yoshi9048

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:51 PM

+1

Ah hell, have +1million
Posted Image

Pfaeff
    Pfaeff

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:14 AM

RaTheBadger said:

Certainly! Diamonds for you!  :DBlock:
Also, what is with the dog..? Is that another mod you are making, or what?
Yeah, the dog is another mod that I did. You can find videos with more information about it on my channel.

Ygdrasel said:

Must release this as a mod immediately.
I am working on it. I just rewrote the entire code and now try to get it to work with ModLoader.
I even haven't thought of a crafting recipe, yet. Any suggestions?
Posted Image

randalpik

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:54 AM

Epic.  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:
Posted Image

Wynimior
    Wynimior

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:08 AM

whoa! btw whats with complex systems? not neccesary...well...not complex...

just replace :SSSS: with allocator, and :wood: with wood pressure plates....

>>>> drop item here>>>> :wood: :(  :wood:  :chestfront:  :wood:  :chestfront: REPEAT FOR INFINITE TRANSPORT (add bounce pads to go up)

also, maybe the bounce pads could be made with 4 slime balls? finnaly a use for those pesky slime balls ^-^

i give you 921461451^2424  :Diamond:

enjoy ^-^ RELEASE THE MOD!

EDIT:

maybe a good crafting recipe for the allocator could be:

:RedShroom:  = Redstone
:Furnace:  = dispenser

:wood:  :wood:  :wood:
:Iron:  :RedShroom:  :Furnace:

im thinking that the redstone would magnetize the iron as an input, and activate the dispenser as an output - comments?

also for the trap chest:

:wood:  :RedShroom:  :wood:

maybe too cheap?
Posted Image

Showdown
    Showdown

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Minecraft: Showdown

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:09 AM

This might be the only mod i would WANT to use..
Notch should add this into the game himself..
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

KarkasmolenKlok

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:11 AM

I flat-out love this idea. This is the kind of stuff minecraft needs more of.
Posted Image

GLz
    GLz

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:14 AM

Me likes!  have a ... no ...  :D a whole block
Posted Image