Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Playing offline.


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1

Sheepdawg

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

Am i worng to assume that most of these people are pirates"YArrgghhhhhh", or is there some benefit to playing offline.  Obviously it would be single player, but i just wonder why bother playing in offline mode.  Either they dont have internet, or they are trying to avoid logging in.

I only ask because after a few hours on the forums tonight(mostly support section) ive noticed posts of pirates(yes...admitted to DLin the game) and they play in OFFLINE mode.  Then ive seen others who have issues, and say they play in offline mode.

Just hoping for some clarity here, as if playing in OFFLINE mode is how the haxxors do it, i dont want to even dignify their actions with a response.  Only because i paid for the game.

Register or log in to remove.

#2

Gachl
    Gachl

    Forum/Wiki Sponsor

  • Members
  • 754 posts
  • Location: Manehattan, MLP:FIM Server
  • Minecraft: Gachl

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

So what do you think is the reason to play online?

Minecraft SMP is pretty much 1:1 singleplayer, but you know, with friends. Sometimes I just want my own world, with my own creations, with my own rules, where I can build everywhere or burn a forest if I feel like it.

I have two singleplayer worlds on which I spend more time than I play online, it's easier and more relaxing than having to worry about other people or their stuff and how they keep stealing resources from your caves without you knowing it (minor griefing, yes there are server mods but you know, singleplayer is just easier to set up).
Everypony join the Pony Minecraft Server!
Posted Image

#3

Elemental
    Elemental

    Obsidian Miner

  • Members
  • 1244 posts
  • Location: the Netherlands.
  • Minecraft: Elem3ntal

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:05 PM

Sheepdawg said:

Am i worng to assume that most of these people are pirates"YArrgghhhhhh", or is there some benefit to playing offline.  Obviously it would be single player, but i just wonder why bother playing in offline mode.  Either they dont have internet, or they are trying to avoid logging in.

I only ask because after a few hours on the forums tonight(mostly support section) ive noticed posts of pirates(yes...admitted to DLin the game) and they play in OFFLINE mode.  Then ive seen others who have issues, and say they play in offline mode.

Just hoping for some clarity here, as if playing in OFFLINE mode is how the haxxors do it, i dont want to even dignify their actions with a response.  Only because i paid for the game.

Well, I pirated Minecraft also when I played it the first time. I bought the game later anyway for online modus etc.

But offline-mode has upsides, because I could play Minecraft when I was in Germany without internet connection. However, I missed the 1.3 update and downloaded it five days after release :D

I think Mojang will get his "missed" customers back anyway, because not everyone only wants to play Minecraft offline etc. I bought the game also, so I gave Mojang their money anyway.
I also make music, check out my channel - http://www.youtube.c.../SkylerOfficial
And remember, kids; the cake is a lie!

#4

DoctorAbel

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:30 PM

Sheepdawg said:

Am i worng to assume that most of these people are pirates"YArrgghhhhhh", or is there some benefit to playing offline.  Obviously it would be single player, but i just wonder why bother playing in offline mode.  Either they dont have internet, or they are trying to avoid logging in.

I only ask because after a few hours on the forums tonight(mostly support section) ive noticed posts of pirates(yes...admitted to DLin the game) and they play in OFFLINE mode.  Then ive seen others who have issues, and say they play in offline mode.

Just hoping for some clarity here, as if playing in OFFLINE mode is how the haxxors do it, i dont want to even dignify their actions with a response.  Only because i paid for the game.

To be honest, I don't see a problem with people getting the Pirated Version first, then buying the game later. It's logical to try the game out first, then buy it later. Why buy a game that you'll probably lose interest in a few days? I'll admit that I'm playing Pirated at the moment; however, I'm making arrangements of buying the game either this week or next week. I don't see anything wrong of Pirated Versions, as long you're trying out the game and/or making arrangements to buy the game.

You do have to understand that some people don't buy this game because of these reasons...
    [*:28jgokvp]They're under aged and cannot have a debit card.
    [*:28jgokvp]Their parents don't allow them to buy the game. (If Under aged and can get access to a Debit Card.)
    [*:28jgokvp]They want to play by themselves without paying for it. (Some of them are complete douchebags.)
    [*:28jgokvp]Cannot afford the game at all and might take them a long time to save-up for the game.

Posted Image
Just what the doctor ordered... :3


#5

masterX244
  • Minecraft: masterX244

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

Gachl said:

So what do you think is the reason to play online?

Minecraft SMP is pretty much 1:1 singleplayer, but you know, with friends. Sometimes I just want my own world, with my own creations, with my own rules, where I can build everywhere or burn a forest if I feel like it.

I have two singleplayer worlds on which I spend more time than I play online, it's easier and more relaxing than having to worry about other people or their stuff and how they keep stealing resources from your caves without you knowing it (minor griefing, yes there are server mods but you know, singleplayer is just easier to set up).
With the advantages of Singleplayeryou are alright. You have more possibilities and less lag and some glitches arent usable in multiplayer, too(the C-Booster wont work complete...) And you can set up an "emulated"creative mode with NBTedit or similar tools when you are a builder (hint : 255er-Stacks are the best for this)
Posted Image
^Falling over 100 blox and then die

#6

GoodOldGamer

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:52 PM

Prior to the latest update where you can choose whether to update or not, playing offline allowed folks using mods to not update their game, and thus keep their mods working properly, until those were updated as well.  The new launcher lets you choose when to update now though, so that's not so much of an issue anymore.

The only reason I end up playing "offline" though tends to be because 80% of the time I log in, minecraft.net is down, so I don't really have a choice.  :oP  I mostly play single player, so it really doesn't matter one way or the other for me, but there you go.  If they can't bother keeping the authenticating servers up, there's not much anyone can do about it.

As far as piracy goes, it sucks to be the pirates.  Can't update.  Can't play online.  At least they can't be griefers this way.  Too bad both groups can't end up permanently banned from the internet for life, but maybe someday.  :oP
My humble LPs can be found here.

#7

DoctorAbel

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

GoodOldGamer said:

As far as piracy goes, it sucks to be the pirates.  Can't update.  Can't play online.  At least they can't be griefers this way.  Too bad both groups can't end up permanently banned from the internet for life, but maybe someday.  :oP

Actually, There's some pirated versions of Minecraft that does have the update feature; however, I'm not going to into detail about that... because that's against the rules on this forum.

Posted Image
Just what the doctor ordered... :3


#8

NotSid
    NotSid

    Diamond Miner

  • Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:17 PM

DoctorAbel said:

You do have to understand that some people don't buy this game because of these reasons...
    [*:19ytuigt]They're under aged and cannot have a debit card.
    [*:19ytuigt]Their parents don't allow them to buy the game. (If Under aged and can get access to a Debit Card.)
    [*:19ytuigt]They want to play by themselves without paying for it. (Some of them are complete douchebags.)
    [*:19ytuigt]Cannot afford the game at all and might take them a long time to save-up for the game.
These reasons for pirating aren't really that good, I gotta say.

    [*:19ytuigt]So under aged people don't have to pay for things? I didn't know that! It seems to me I had to pay for things when I was younger like everybody else... I mean, sometimes I'd forget about taxes, and the nice cashier lady would say "aww that's ok, don't worry about it!" but that was a rarity itself.
    [*:19ytuigt]So all I have to do is go to the car dealership and say "my parents won't let me buy this car, so I'm just going to take it!" and that wouldn't be wrong? Nice! Gonna go get me a car I guess!
    [*:19ytuigt]So you're saying games that are offline-only should be free? Hmm, guess I should ask for my money back for all the single player games I've bought over the years... Fable, I didn't have to pay for you!!
    [*:19ytuigt]"I can't afford this loaf of bread, so I'm just going to take it right now and then I might pay you some time in the future!" Yeah, I don't think too many grocery stores would let you do that.

No matter what stories people come up with to excuse illegal pirating, it's still wrong. It's like you're taking something, and then you might pay for it later because you feel like being a nice guy and then expect to be praised for doing what you should have done in the first place. No, you pay for what you want, and then you get it. That's how the world works.

Anyway, I often play offline because I don't really want to deal with lag all the time. Not being able to go toe-to-toe with a creeper or a zombie without taking damage is just a pain. In Multiplayer, the creepers will almost always explode before you can kill them, even if you do the creeper dance, and the zombies will almost always get a hit or two in before you down them. Same with spiders, really. Plus, there's that creeper bug where they "store" their explosion, meaning they start to explode, you back off, then their explosion timer doesn't reset, and when you go back to finish them off, they explode prematurely (inb4 "that's what she said").

It seems online worlds aren't as cool as offline worlds, either. The world always seems to have chunk errors and weird pieces of missing terrain. It's like the online seed has ADHD, and is all like "hmm let's generate this map... oh hey wait! Let's generate this map now! Ooh how about this one! Wait... what was I doing again? Oh yeah! GRAVEL!!" all on the same world.
I now play League of Legends! If you are interested in trying this FREE game, click my ---->REFERRAL LINK!<---- There are NO fees, NO premium-only champions. You can unlock ALL the champions without paying a DIME! Check it out! If you sign up using my link, I get cool bonus stuff! I'll teach you the basics of the game if you'd like, as thanks! :)

#9

DoctorAbel

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:36 PM

NotSid said:

No matter what stories people come up with to excuse illegal pirating, it's still wrong. It's like you're taking something, and then you might pay for it later because you feel like being a nice guy and then expect to be praised for doing what you should have done in the first place. No, you pay for what you want, and then you get it. That's how the world works.

Even though you did prove a point with your previous reply and I've removed it to aim at this paragraph. Some people would like to try out the game before deciding to pay for the game or not, which I find that reasonable. Maybe Notch can come up with the idea of giving a 7-day free trial or something on the lines with that. Let's take it into this example...

Day 1: Carrie decided to buy Minecraft, because she seen many advertisements for the game online and wanted to test it out. She really enjoyed the game at first and had a fun blast with it.

Day 5: Carrie gets bored of the game and figures that Minecraft isn't a fun game after all. Carrie deletes the game off of her computer and tries to get her money back.... (I'm not sure how the policy of refunding goes, but let's assume she didn't get it back) and fails to obtain the refund. A complete waste of $21.

Posted Image
Just what the doctor ordered... :3


#10

NotSid
    NotSid

    Diamond Miner

  • Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

DoctorAbel said:

NotSid said:

No matter what stories people come up with to excuse illegal pirating, it's still wrong. It's like you're taking something, and then you might pay for it later because you feel like being a nice guy and then expect to be praised for doing what you should have done in the first place. No, you pay for what you want, and then you get it. That's how the world works.

Even though you did prove a point with your previous reply and I've removed it to aim at this paragraph. Some people would like to try out the game before deciding to pay for the game or not, which I find that reasonable. Maybe Notch can come up with the idea of giving a 7-day free trial or something on the lines with that. Let's take it into this example...

Day 1: Carrie decided to buy Minecraft, because she seen many advertisements for the game online and wanted to test it out. She really enjoyed the game at first and had a fun blast with it.

Day 5: Carrie gets bored of the game and figures that Minecraft isn't a fun game after all. Carrie deletes the game off of her computer and tries to get her money back.... (I'm not sure how the policy of refunding goes, but let's assume she didn't get it back) and fails to obtain the refund. A complete waste of $21.
I agree with the idea of there being a trial/demo version of Minecraft.

I do not agree with the "do it yourself" trial version.

But, we're kinda getting off topic here, aren't we? I don't really want to derail this person's thread. (Sorry!)
I now play League of Legends! If you are interested in trying this FREE game, click my ---->REFERRAL LINK!<---- There are NO fees, NO premium-only champions. You can unlock ALL the champions without paying a DIME! Check it out! If you sign up using my link, I get cool bonus stuff! I'll teach you the basics of the game if you'd like, as thanks! :)

#11

cschadewaldt

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

I dont like relying on public servers because they are never 100% stable, no matter what game you play...every server I host is for people in our town, and we use Hamachi to keep griefers and people we dont know off the channel/server.  I am not sure but I would like to see more guest accounts per server, I think ours currently only has 1...and it kicks off the previous guest when a new person tries to log on when the Minecraft servers are down...

And I, myself, did an unofficial demo of it before buying it.  I, thereafter, got five people to buy the game after showing them my official account...which wasn't a very difficult sell, it was the Alpha discount.  We all play on a regular basis, now...and none of us would if I wouldn't have tried it the way I did.  The demo on the site is very limited and should give a bit more to do...

#12

SnarkySims3

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:04 AM

I fly alot, so when I get the game I will need the offline mode to play, because sitting on a plane for six hours with NOTHING to do but continually glance at the person beside you is absolute "kill me now"... unless that kind of thing tickles your fancy... :SSSS:

Zancie said:

Creepers gonna creep.

azzanine said:

How would you build a watermelon?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106785

#13

Whiplashr
    Whiplashr

    Obsidian Miner

  • Members
  • 1404 posts
  • Minecraft: Whiplashr

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:42 AM

DoctorAbel said:

To be honest, I don't see a problem with people getting the Pirated Version first, then buying the game later. It's logical to try the game out first, then buy it later. Why buy a game that you'll probably lose interest in a few days? I'll admit that I'm playing Pirated at the moment; however, I'm making arrangements of buying the game either this week or next week. I don't see anything wrong of Pirated Versions, as long you're trying out the game and/or making arrangements to buy the game.

You do have to understand that some people don't buy this game because of these reasons...
    [*:13u2noaf]They're under aged and cannot have a debit card.
    [*:13u2noaf]Their parents don't allow them to buy the game. (If Under aged and can get access to a Debit Card.)
    [*:13u2noaf]They want to play by themselves without paying for it. (Some of them are complete douchebags.)
    [*:13u2noaf]Cannot afford the game at all and might take them a long time to save-up for the game.


http://en.wikipedia....making_excuses)

#14

Dantevortex
  • Location: The Nether Lands
  • Minecraft: dantevortex

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:41 AM

You do have to understand that some people don't buy this game because of these reasons...

    They're under aged and cannot have a debit card.
    Their parents don't allow them to buy the game. (If Under aged and can get access to a Debit Card.)
    They want to play by themselves without paying for it. (Some of them are complete douchebags.)
    Cannot afford the game at all and might take them a long time to save-up for the game.

-----------------

1 being underage means you CAN get a debit card. Creditcards however... 18+
2 Their parents are morons, such as the moron parent who thought it was a scam, because the price is in terrorist Euro's
3 piracy makes the world a better place. If they refuse to pay, but play a lot, then yes, douchbags.
4: Minecraft costs as much as a meal at Mc-Donalds. So diet, and play minecraft for free.
Mongoose Craft public vanilla server is now closed, thank you for playing.

#15

darknessninja575

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:29 AM

well theres nothing wrong with using only single player, most people paid 20 bucks for the full game, not to be limited to just online. it doesn't make them a bad person or thing
Posted Image [SSSS]

#16

Bixxith
    Bixxith

    Stone Miner

  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:57 AM

Dantevortex said:

You do have to understand that some people don't buy this game because of these reasons...

    They're under aged and cannot have a debit card.
    Their parents don't allow them to buy the game. (If Under aged and can get access to a Debit Card.)
    They want to play by themselves without paying for it. (Some of them are complete douchebags.)
    Cannot afford the game at all and might take them a long time to save-up for the game.

-----------------

1 being underage means you CAN get a debit card. Creditcards however... 18+
2 Their parents are morons, such as the moron parent who thought it was a scam, because the price is in terrorist Euro's
3 piracy makes the world a better place. If they refuse to pay, but play a lot, then yes, douchbags.
4: Minecraft costs as much as a meal at Mc-Donalds. So diet, and play minecraft for free.



I am deeply curious as to what you order at McDonalds that costs $20+! lol

#17

Dantevortex
  • Location: The Nether Lands
  • Minecraft: dantevortex

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

Bixxith said:

Dantevortex said:

You do have to understand that some people don't buy this game because of these reasons...

    They're under aged and cannot have a debit card.
    Their parents don't allow them to buy the game. (If Under aged and can get access to a Debit Card.)
    They want to play by themselves without paying for it. (Some of them are complete douchebags.)
    Cannot afford the game at all and might take them a long time to save-up for the game.

-----------------

1 being underage means you CAN get a debit card. Creditcards however... 18+
2 Their parents are morons, such as the moron parent who thought it was a scam, because the price is in terrorist Euro's
3 piracy makes the world a better place. If they refuse to pay, but play a lot, then yes, douchbags.
4: Minecraft costs as much as a meal at Mc-Donalds. So diet, and play minecraft for free.



I am deeply curious as to what you order at McDonalds that costs $20+! lol

Figure of speech, the last time I ate there was when our nations currency was Florence Guilders.

ƒ 20
Mongoose Craft public vanilla server is now closed, thank you for playing.