Emoniph
    Emoniph

Redstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

POPULAR

Witchery mod for Minecraft (v 0.17.2 beta)

Witchery allows players to explore the magical art of witchcraft and though it, to learn to control the natural magic present in the world (and sometimes other dimensions).

Posted Image

Witchery provides several branches of witchcraft for a new witch or warlock to try their hand at. Witchcraft does not really resemble the flashy spell-casting performed by wizards and their ilk. There are no lightning wands or spell books, enchanted armor or flaming swords; instead, a well tended witch's garden will provide a lot of helpful ingredients for magic that will get you out of the occasional scrape.

There are of course darker sides to magic; and although these may bring power more quickly, the cost may be too high. Making bargains with demons should never be undertaken lightly!

Mod Spotlight (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) by Direwolf20 [version 0.15.1]

Some foreign language spotlights and some development videos such as Automation with Thaumcraft Golems, etc.
Spoiler:

Download

Important: There is always a tiny possibility that updating this, or any mod, may break your saved world. Make a backup before updating, just in case.

Latest version

(if the Curse version is not yet updated, there are also direct download links in the Version History below)

Regarding Minecraft 1.6.2: Some players are running Witchery with Minecraft 1.6.2 without problems, so it seems to work just fine. I am not officially testing this version though, so please use at your own risk. Please do post bug reports if you find any though!

Version History
Spoiler:

Installation Getting Started

The Witchery website provides all the recipes that Witchery offers, there is also a getting started guide!

Spoiler:

Notes for Server Admins

There are a few items in Witchery specifically for servers, namely the Void Brambles (to stop destructive magic) and the Statue of the Goddess (to allow a special location that players can use to be healed from curses). The statue can be disabled from being crafted in the config file, since it effectively makes cursing not so useful. The Rite of Prior Incarnation allows a witch to recover despawned items for a dead player. This ability requires a high level of committment to the mod to achieve and can be disabled in the config file. This rite is not compatible with death chest style mods and should be disabled if one is installed (it will try to auto disable itself too if it finds a known one).

Very Important: The Rite of Hell on Earth will set fire to things now (if cast by a witch with a cat familiar), you may want to either disable this in the config file or massively reduce fire spread. Extreme server lag can (and probably will) result!

Posted Image

IRC

Witchery has a dedicated IRC channel, where I am often to be found, so pop by if you have any questions:

irc.esper.net:#witchery

Special thanks...

A big shout out to everyone in the forums for contributing bug reports and suggestions. Special thanks to the following people:

Crafteverywhere, for Chinese translation
Galxis, for German translation
iLLHunter & marcmagus, for getting the IRC channel up and running.
SoundLogic, for Thaumcraft aspect picking
ZigTheHedge, for Russian translation

Alphabeticically ordered Posted Image

Mod Packs

If all of the following conditions are met, you have my permission to include Witchery in your mod pack:
  • You will PM me on this forum to indicate your intent to add Witchery to your mod pack and include the name of the mod pack with a link to it. (I am interested, but I probably will not respond to your PM)
  • You must give very visible credit to the author of the mod: Emoniph.
  • You cannot claim that you made any part of the Witchery mod.
  • Your mod pack must provide a link back to this forum post.
  • You (and any affiliates) cannot make money off of, or as a result of, the mod pack, by any means. (this includes, but is not limited to adfly, donations, patreon, etc.)
  • If you are asked by me to remove the mod from your mod pack (via email, PM on this forum, notice on this post, or otherwise), you will do so within thirty days. After such notice you (and your affiliates) may no longer add Witchery to any mod pack until explicit permission is subsequently given.
  • These conditions may change from time to time without notice and you will ensure you remain in compliance with them.
  • You and your users will agree to, and abide by, the Terms & Conditions in the following section.
Terms & Conditions

0. Used Terms
Mod - modification, plugin, a piece of software that interfaces with the Minecraft client to extend, add, change or remove original capabilities.
Mojang - Mojang AB
Owner - Emoniph, original author of the Mod. Under the copyright terms accepted when purchasing Minecraft (https://account.moja.../minecraft_eula) the Owner has full rights over their Mod, in both binary and source form, despite use of Mojang code.
User - End user of the Mod, person installing the Mod.

1. Liability
THIS MOD IS PROVIDED 'AS IS' WITH NO WARRANTIES, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE. THE OWNER OF THIS MOD TAKES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES INCURRED FROM THE USE OF THIS MOD. THIS MOD ALTERS FUNDAMENTAL PARTS OF THE MINECRAFT GAME, PARTS OF MINECRAFT MAY NOT WORK WITH THIS MOD INSTALLED. ALL DAMAGES CAUSED FROM THE USE OR MISUSE OF THIS MOD FALL ON THE USER.

2. Use
Use of this Mod to be installed, manually or automatically, is given to the User without restriction.

3. Redistribution / Mod Packs
This Mod may only be distributed where uploaded, mirrored, or otherwise linked to by the Owner solely. All mirrors of this Mod must have advance written permission from the Owner. ANY attempts to make money off of this Mod (selling, selling modified versions, adfly, sharecash, donations, etc.), whether standalone or part of a large work (e.g. mod pack), are STRICTLY FORBIDDEN without advance written permission, and the Owner may claim damages or take other action to rectify the situation. Mod packs may only include this Mod if they first receive permission from the Owner. All mod packs with permission to distribute the Mod, must ensure that they comply with, and ensure all users of their mod packs agree to, these terms. The Owner reserves the right to remove permission given to a mod pack to distribute the Mod, given a notice period of thirty (30) days.

4. Derivative Works / Modification
This Mod may not be decompiled, reproduced and/or modified under any circumstances without prior written permission of the Owner. This Mod is not open source.

© Emoniph 2014

Register or log in to remove.

Dirk_Jimbrose

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

Will this run with MC version 1.6.2?

Posted Image

Emoniph
    Emoniph

Redstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

Most likely not, I'm afraid. There is a forge version restriction that *should* prevent it being allowed by earlier versions.

EDIT: Contrary to what I originally said, players are running Witchery successfully with Minecraft 1.6.2.

Emoniph
    Emoniph

Redstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hi Guys,

If anyone is interested in giving Witchery a go, I am very interested in hearing any feedback (please keep it constructive!). I am most concerned about making recipes either too cheap or too expensive, so I would be very glad to get some thoughts on that. Witchery is meant to be quite well balanced, not introducing anything game-breaking, so if you find anything too OP, please let me know.

Thanks and have fun with Witchery!

- Emoniph

Silentscope88

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:43 PM

This actually looks very nice. I'll try it in later versions.

Remmus110203

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:43 PM

So far I have to say from my experimentation in creative mode that everything seems rather balanced so far. I like how you aimed the mod to be different from the current selection of magic mods will still showing where some inspiration came from. The drawing of rune circles is pretty clever and besides being fairly useful, they look really good. This also goes for the models you created for the altar. The only few suggestions I can think of it possibly implement the guide books into a two page format opposed to one? Especially for the circle magic book's layout, while I could figure out what chalk was needed for the circle, I did have to deduce the circle size on a few rituals. A few cosmetic ideas is to have the cauldron water change color as you brew a potion.

Eruraion
    Eruraion

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:52 PM

i like what i see. keep it up!

Posted Image

GoodWayfarer

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

great mod, keep it up.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Emoniph
    Emoniph

Redstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 564 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

@ Remmus110203

Thanks for the feedback. I was feeling that book is a bit cluttered, just to check, the circle images are loading, but it is just difficult to count the blocks needed?

@all

Thanks for the kind words!

dimion
    dimion

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

A very nice mod indeed. Keep up the great work!
Posted Image

Remmus110203

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

View PostEmoniph, on 26 September 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

@ Remmus110203

Thanks for the feedback. I was feeling that book is a bit cluttered, just to check, the circle images are loading, but it is just difficult to count the blocks needed?

@all

Thanks for the kind words!

Yeah the circle images load up fine, but the text tends to overlap the image on longer pages
Posted Image

I'm still able to figure the spacing by flipping though to the other pages, so it's mostly a minor issue.

Emoniph
    Emoniph

Redstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 564 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:09 PM

@ Remmus110203

OK, I'll see what I can do in a following release.

Sunconure11
  • Minecraft: Sunconure11

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

I'm considering downloading this mod soon, and I looked at the wiki and, maybe in the future, you should make the poppets use spanish moss as an ingredient. If I recall, voodoo dolls often use spanish moss in them.

Posted Image Please click my egg/dragon

Also, check out my modpack, The Arcane Arts. http://www.minecraft...odpack-technic/

Emoniph
    Emoniph

Redstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 564 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostSunconure11, on 26 September 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

I'm considering downloading this mod soon, and I looked at the wiki and, maybe in the future, you should make the poppets use spanish moss as an ingredient. If I recall, voodoo dolls often use spanish moss in them.

Could be fun putting together a growing vine-like plant, I really love the idea of a garden full of exotic things!

Sunconure11

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

Make it grow naturally in swamps on trees.

Also, check out my modpack, The Arcane Arts. http://www.minecraft...odpack-technic/

Emoniph
    Emoniph

Redstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 564 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

View PostSunconure11, on 26 September 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

Make it grow naturally in swamps on trees.

It is actually one of the design goals of the mod not to do any world gen, the plan is (or rather was) that either long grass or the mutagen are used to create new plants. I think such a thing fits better with the mutagen-based generation, which will push poppet making a little further along in the tech-tree of the mod (around the same time as the altar is available), but that is not too bad, I think.

Emoniph
    Emoniph

Redstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 564 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

Just for information, there is a wee bug with Circle Talismans when run on a Minecraft server. The Talisman cannot store the large circle type (seems item damage values are limited to 16 bits). The bug is already fixed in the next planned update.

Emoniph
    Emoniph

Redstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 564 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

So version 0.2.1 is live, main highlights: Spanish Moss for poppet recipe, Double page Circle Magic book, Circle Talisman bug fixed. Enjoy!

Emoniph
    Emoniph

Redstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

And version 0.2.2 is released (download link in the OP). This adds necromancy: Create Brews of Raising to raise undead and create a Necromantic Stone (using a Rite of Necromancy) to control them.

Have fun with necromancy as mid-game mob mastery (obviously the Infernal Infusion is the significantly upgraded end-game variation of mob mastery!)

Sunconure11

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

Are the trees created by the Brew of Sprouting supposed to be missing like, most of their leaves?

Also, I've noted this can make trees grow on blocks such as rock.