Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[RESOLVED] From how far away can lava burn things?


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1

Sparclen

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

I created a construction like this:   (Top view)

:wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :wood:
:wood:  :brick:  :(  :brick:  :wood:
:wood:  :(  :Lava:  :D  :wood:
:wood:  :brick:  :D  :brick:  :wood:
:wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :wood:  :wood:

The wood caught fire. This had never happened to me before and I fear for the safety of my other constructions.
So, does anybody know how many blocks away something must be to be unaffected by lava?

Thanks!

EDIT: To sum up the knowledge in this topic:
It would seem that a lava block can set fire to things 4 blocks away, no matter what is in between. Encasing the lava will not help.
The flying embers don't ignite anything, they are just for show.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

#2

MacGruber

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

Sparclen said:

I created a construction like this:   (Top view)

:Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Orange:  :Orange:
:Orange:  :Yellow:  :)  :Yellow:  :Orange:
:Orange:  :D  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Orange:
:Orange:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Orange:
:Orange:  :Orange:  :Orange:  :Orange:  :Orange:

The wood caught fire. This had never happened to me before and I fear for the safety of my other constructions.
So, does anybody know how many blocks away something must be to be unaffected by lava?

Thanks!

There is only one way to find out...


With SCIENCE!!!

http://diamond-rangers.webs.com/


They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

#3

Fandan
    Fandan

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

so funi guy xd

to the op: fire (and fire from lava) can jump across 4 blocks, including air and all blocks
REMOVE KEBAP

#4

Lolkong
    Lolkong

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 234 posts
  • Location: Finland

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

It goes as far as a spark from the lava goes. Dont leave the lava for open air.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5

Fandan
    Fandan

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

Lolkong said:

It goes as far as a spark from the lava goes. Dont leave the lava for open air.
nope, it can go through blocks.
REMOVE KEBAP

#6

Ren13B
    Ren13B

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

I've had this set up for several weeks now without any fires so I would say have at least 2 blocks if you are going to leave it open.

Posted Image

#7

Sparclen

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

Ren13B said:

I've had this set up for several weeks now without any fires so I would say have at least 2 blocks if you are going to leave it open.

Posted Image

So you guys are saying that eventually this construction will burn down, because the wood is less than 5 blocks away?
Posted Image

#8

Korimito
    Korimito

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 690 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

Sparclen said:

Ren13B said:

I've had this set up for several weeks now without any fires so I would say have at least 2 blocks if you are going to leave it open.

Posted Image

So you guys are saying that eventually this construction will burn down, because the wood is less than 5 blocks away?
As far as we know, yes.
Posted Image

Foxy1990 said:

if some higher beings ever got to view this forum before coming to our planet they would turn back and not bother!

Blindburrows said:

do you know how to get to the Netherlands other than a portal

#9

Sparclen

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:24 PM

And these embers that ignite nearby blocks...do they only spawn from lava source blocks, or any flowing part too?
Posted Image

#10

Fandan
    Fandan

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

Sparclen said:

And these embers that ignite nearby blocks...do they only spawn from lava source blocks, or any flowing part too?
no, they dont ignite stuff.
he just said that. it doesnt.
REMOVE KEBAP

#11

EccentricalAce
  • Location: World1

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

Fandan said:

Sparclen said:

And these embers that ignite nearby blocks...do they only spawn from lava source blocks, or any flowing part too?
no, they dont ignite stuff.
he just said that. it doesnt.

The embers emitted from lava blocks do not ignite the player, but can ignite any solid block that is flammable.
To my knowledge, they can travel up to 4 blocks in either direction, and can travel very high- However, instead of putting blocks like Stone 4 blocks from all directions of the lava, putting the lava block 1 below your floor will result in almost all embers burning off because they didn't go high enough.
Hope that helps.
To stop a _____, hit control and press the _____.
Spoiler:

#12

Fandan
    Fandan

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:51 PM

EccentricalAce said:

Fandan said:

Sparclen said:

And these embers that ignite nearby blocks...do they only spawn from lava source blocks, or any flowing part too?
no, they dont ignite stuff.
he just said that. it doesnt.

The embers emitted from lava blocks do not ignite the player, but can ignite any solid block that is flammable.
To my knowledge, they can travel up to 4 blocks in either direction, and can travel very high- However, instead of putting blocks like Stone 4 blocks from all directions of the lava, putting the lava block 1 below your floor will result in almost all embers burning off because they didn't go high enough.
Hope that helps.
the embers dont do anything.
they are just cosmetic.
the lava itself ignites the things, whether or not embers sparkle at a block.

proof? when they would ignite wood, they would also ignite stone for a moment (just like the firestarter), because fire works that way.
did you ever see burning stone right next to a lavalake? no?


also, go on and put lava 1 block below a wooden floor.
you will have a burning floor.

also, directly out of the minecraftwiki:

Quote

If flammable blocks are within a few meters of lava, they will catch fire. The “embers” or “fireballs” which fly out of lava are purely decorative and do not directly cause fires.

why do you guys say things you dont even know they are true?
spreading false information is a shit thing to do.
really, i want an answer, ace.
REMOVE KEBAP

#13

EccentricalAce
  • Location: World1

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

Ah, after a few minutes of testing this out, it would appear that my information was incorrect. I was judging this information on the wiki page which I had not read up till this change, and instead information from this change up until March 1st.

Quote

*As of the Beta 1.3 update, the Embers,or Fireballs that randomly fly out of the lava can cause fires if it hits a flammable block.
was changed to

Quote

* If flammable blocks are within a few meters of lava, they will catch fire. The “embers” or “fireballs” which fly out of lava are purely decorative and do not directly cause fires.

My apologies for this informational folly, but up until one week ago it had been my knowledge that the embers did cause fire on wood and other flammable blocks- It's my speculation this was changed in a recent Beta update.
Cheers to you, Fandan, for pointing out my error.
To stop a _____, hit control and press the _____.
Spoiler:

#14

Fandan
    Fandan

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:21 PM

so i see you werent just saying something to say it.
eh, sorry then.
i just saw a lot of guys stating false informations as if they were true and proven, and that makes me kind of angry.
REMOVE KEBAP

#15

Korimito
    Korimito

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 690 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:06 PM

EccentricalAce said:

Ah, after a few minutes of testing this out, it would appear that my information was incorrect. I was judging this information on the wiki page which I had not read up till this change, and instead information from this change up until March 1st.

Quote

*As of the Beta 1.3 update, the Embers,or Fireballs that randomly fly out of the lava can cause fires if it hits a flammable block.
was changed to

Quote

* If flammable blocks are within a few meters of lava, they will catch fire. The “embers” or “fireballs” which fly out of lava are purely decorative and do not directly cause fires.

My apologies for this informational folly, but up until one week ago it had been my knowledge that the embers did cause fire on wood and other flammable blocks- It's my speculation this was changed in a recent Beta update.
Cheers to you, Fandan, for pointing out my error.
And here we have the horrors of disinformation. Embers do not now light nor have they ever lit anything on fire.

I'll be really miffed if all the testing people have done is proven wrong.
Posted Image

Foxy1990 said:

if some higher beings ever got to view this forum before coming to our planet they would turn back and not bother!

Blindburrows said:

do you know how to get to the Netherlands other than a portal

#16

KarkasmolenKlok
  • Location: Clocktopia

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:28 PM

To my knowledge, however, if the lava is fully enclosed this does not happen.
Posted Image

#17

Sparclen

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:02 AM

KarkasmolenKlok said:

To my knowledge, however, if the lava is fully enclosed this does not happen.

As you can see in my setup in the OP, it can and will happen.
From what I have learned, a lava block can set fire to things 4 blocks away, no matter what is in between.
The flying embers don't ignite anything, they are just for show.
Posted Image

#18

Scootzee
    Scootzee

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:33 AM

YEah i made a house and used a lava pit as a trash can (to throw unwanted loot into) and it burned the entire wood section of my house down (about 6000 wood blocks). It sucked soooo bad. The lava was only one block away from the wood. AWWWWWWwwW



///////////NOOBLETS UNITE////
//////////n00bl3ts un1t3d////////////////

#19

Taddle
    Taddle

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 186 posts
  • Location: WereTheorem

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:21 AM

I made a furnace for a Forge in my tree city. The set up from a sky view was like this:

:ironore:  :ironore:  :ironore:
:ironore:  :Black:  :ironore:
:ironore:  :ironore:  :ironore:
:ironore:  []  :Black:

There was a block of space and a brick roof over that and the rest of the furnace was enclosed on all sides by bricks. The floor was made of mossy cobblestone, but only on one side where the open window to the lava was. The enclosed sides had mostly leaves and supporting wood on the outside.

For a while it was fine and nothing ignited. However, come one building session everything went horrible wrong, and one side of the tree began disappearing in a sea of flames. I'm sort of thinking that maybe chunk updating might also be a factor, as anything that should have been flammable hadn't for a good while prior, and the setup wasn't manipulated until then.

P.S: Yes, I was smart enough to backup my files. The tree continues to stand. Like a boss.

#20

WildDuck
    WildDuck

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:36 AM

Ifelt so sad when i burnt down my house on my hard difficulty map.

*Crys*