• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

Jafurgle
    Jafurgle

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:40 PM

I've only been playing the free version of this game, but it's like the only thing you can do is make and destroy blocks.  Exploration yeilded nothing interesting andmaking stuff with blocks for hours on end is dull.  This game was incredibly boring and was just not a good way to show off your game.

Register or log in to remove.

mrwormy
    mrwormy

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6711 posts
  • Minecraft: mrwormy

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

You make my mouth foam,Take your ignorance and your parent's credit card and buy the darn game!
"Only a few find the way, Some don't recognize it when they do. Some don't ever want to..." ~Cheshire cat.

Fivas
    Fivas

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

It is purely just for fun, there are no goals.

yoshibear1009
  • Location: Wherever you see an abundance of light, I am there to balance the darkness

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

This is a sandbox game, so no point, its just for fun. But that means that there are infinite play styles.
Posted Image

A.I.
    A.I.

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3589 posts
  • Minecraft: A.I.

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

Creative: You build amazing things with few limitations.
Survival: You keep yourself alive and build things with more limitations than in creative.

That's all there is, take it or leave it.
I want to join you sleeping peaceful, feeling the sun in our room...

Posted Image

Rox
    Rox

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1235 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

Well, you're in luck, good sir. The free versions aren't supposed to show off the game! They're just old versions that are still up on the site for no particular reason other than because people still play them!

The full version of Minecraft still has no point, per se, as it is a so-called sandbox game. In essence, I would describe it as a first-person fantasy action/adventure/sandbox game. You're presented with a randomly generated world of infinite size that you must explore to gather materials of various kinds. These materials let you build structures to live in and defend from the enemies which come out at night (and later, potentially other players in multiplayer), and also craft various items, weapons and tools. You can hunt animals for food and light clothing, chop down trees to make wooden tools that you can use to mine stone. A stone pickaxe will let you harvest iron if you're lucky to find any while you're spelunking in the enormous, randomly generated cave systems, usually inhabited by various monsters as well as features like underground rivers and lava waterfalls. Don't forget to find some coal near the surface first, so you can craft torches to illuminate the caverns!

One you have your first iron, smelt it in a furnace so you can craft iron armor and sword which will increase your survivability drastically. By now you may be well equipped enough to travel outdoors at night, if you think you can fight off the zombies and skeletons lurking in the dark. If not, all it takes is a few chickens, some flint, and wooden sticks to craft arrows. Once you've killed some spiders to get string, you can craft a bow and use it to fire said arrows, killing enemies at a safe distance.

Then you can start mining for real, with your new, strong iron tools and durable armor. Don't forget to kill some pigs and put the pork in a furnace to make a good meal that will restore your health. That way you can survive after a harsh battle should you discover an underground ruin with monster spawners inside. Keep exploring the cave system and mine tunnels any time you reach a dead end. If you're lucky you can hear the flow of water or lava on the other side of a rock wall and expand your mines deeper into another cave, leading deeper into the bowels of the earth. Eventually you'll strike gold or find extremely rare diamond to upgrade your tools and weapons even further. A diamond will also let you craft a jukebox now!

Between all this, many players enjoy the creative aspect of a sandbox game. All that stone you're digging up while mining can be used to build grand castles, fortresses, underground bases or whatever you want. Wooden huts look very pretty, although don't start a fire too close to them! Dig up sand at a beach and smelt in your furnace to create glass. Harvest reeds and create paper for pages in a book, and craft yourself a bookshelf to stick in your house.

Create grand buildings with doors that can be opened, spiral staircases, and if you're into it, use redstone dust to create circuitry that lets you manipulate doors and mine cart tracks from afar using levers, buttons and pressure plates. Set up elaborate traps to kill monsters threatening your village, or think of dastardly things to do to fellow players once survival multiplayer has been completed.

Build ships and explore the oceans and rivers of your world. Later in the game's development, you can sail between parts of the world and discover dense forests, snowy regions and harsh deserts. Why not set up colonies in each area you discover and live life as a wanderer?

Or, the best thing of all: Completely ignore everything I just said and go about doing exactly anything else. That's what sandboxes are for. And this is the best sandbox I've ever played in. Just remember to never dig down, and don't let creepers sneak up on you at night...

Rockmael
    Rockmael

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:00 PM

Whats the point of playing with clay?
Whats the point of drawing a picture?
Whats the point of playing with blocks?

Your quote isn't funny.

Vibhor
    Vibhor

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

It will just blow your mind and make you drool if you ask those questions
I actually just bought the game because of the creative
Check out ma suggestions
Use for different variety of food
Now check out others suggestions
Climbing your @$$ off in minecraft

Zuriki
    Zuriki

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Curse Premium
  • 5317 posts
  • Minecraft: gdscei

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

Jafurgle said:

I've only been playing the free version of this game, but it's like the only thing you can do is make and destroy blocks.  Exploration yeilded nothing interesting andmaking stuff with blocks for hours on end is dull.  This game was incredibly boring and was just not a good way to show off your game.

If you don't like it, don't play it.

shairn
    shairn

T-1000 Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 18317 posts
  • Minecraft: shairn

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:36 PM

it's like playing legos with physics.

Posted Image
Do not wallow do not stall
Time waits for none at all
Your allowance may crawl,
It may fly or even vanish
But none will seem more lavished
Than time lost to all.

Rox
    Rox

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1235 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:45 PM

Zuriki said:

Jafurgle said:

Dude, that's the worst thing you could say! I didn't like the old versions, but I love the current game! If you'd give me that advice and I had followed it, I never would've bought the game! Way to be counter-productive, dude...!

Mattk50
    Mattk50

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

Rox said:

Zuriki said:

Jafurgle said:

Dude, that's the worst thing you could say! I didn't like the old versions, but I love the current game! If you'd give me that advice and I had followed it, I never would've bought the game! Way to be counter-productive, dude...!

people who like the older versions are less likely to be raider kiddie morons burning down everything not made of stone. let them leave.
Posted Image

TurtleeyMC said:

Matt, seriously, stop trolling. So can you please shut the fuck up and go troll the infdev forums about how much you want to get 10 bucks from your hobo house?

Invertin
    Invertin

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4157 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

Jafurgle said:

I've only been playing the free version of this game,
There's your problem.

Creative/Classic mode - Go online and build cool looking shit. Single player classic is boring as hell.

Infdev/Alpha - Singleplayer only, but greatest game ever.

supercolio
  • Location: Flying through the universe with my mighty jar of rasberry jam!

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

Hmm. When I first started this game and spawned to a blocky land I was like "What in the name of god is this?". Then I noticed that you can break blocks, so I went down under. I thought you need to collect minerals or so... Whatever, I wen back to surface and built brick tower so I could see everything. When I looked around I was so amazed what you can do with java.

Then I went multiplayer and realised what you actually do in this game.

good old times.
After 2 days (yes two goddamn days) after I started playing I bought the game without even knowing what indev actually was (I bought it for skin actually :D ). I have enjoyed it so much.

When you come across a really good game you know it. And if you know it, you must buy it.
Posted Image

Rox
    Rox

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1235 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

Mattk50 said:

Rox said:

people who like the older versions are less likely to be raider kiddie morons burning down everything not made of stone. let them leave.
And they're not allowed to give Notch their money why, exactly...? Sold copies is a good thing. Period. And how the heck do you even come to that conclusion, anyway? I did enjoy classic survival - for like half an hour, then I thought "Well, this just became one of the most boring things I've ever played". So I read up on the game and then eventually bought it and now it's awesome. I'm certainly not a "raider kiddie moron", whatever the heck one of those is.

Invertin
    Invertin

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4157 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:39 PM

Mattk50 said:

Old =/= Good
Oldfag =/= Only type of good person that can ever happen.

Zikel
    Zikel

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • Minecraft: Zikel

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

www.minecraft.net/survivaltest

You can get a _VERY_ limited taste of what the game is.

Mattk50
    Mattk50

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

Rox said:

Mattk50 said:

Rox said:

And they're not allowed to give Notch their money why, exactly...? Sold copies is a good thing. Period. And how the heck do you even come to that conclusion, anyway? I did enjoy classic survival - for like half an hour, then I thought "Well, this just became one of the most boring things I've ever played". So I read up on the game and then eventually bought it and now it's awesome. I'm certainly not a "raider kiddie moron", whatever the heck one of those is.

clearly not, which is why you read up on the game, and bought it. (raider kiddie morons, are the people who say they will do nothing in smp but run in circles burning stuff, screaming "IMA RAIDER" and mining down your cobblestone house.

personally, i would like to have more people who enjoy the constructive playstyle of multiplayer creative. i was harsh in my wording, but i dont think anyone will have a heart attack over it.

Invertin said:

Mattk50 said:

Old =/= Good

read into "Less likely"
Posted Image

TurtleeyMC said:

Matt, seriously, stop trolling. So can you please shut the fuck up and go troll the infdev forums about how much you want to get 10 bucks from your hobo house?

BluDragon

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

Have any of you played Fluxx? If you have, you might remember the rule and goal changing aspects of the game. Minecraft is like that. You start in a world of pure nature and change your rules and goals. Want to start a religeon? Go ahead. Want a tower in the sky? Go for it. No one here can really say what Minecraft's point is, because it's different for everyone.

thevirtualgamer said:

Sometimes you might spot the elusive sheepfish!

Invertin
    Invertin

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4157 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:51 PM

Mattk50 said:

Invertin said:

Mattk50 said:

Old =/= Good

read into "Less likely"
Please explain how a slight difference in opinion tells us anything about the intelligence of anyone.