• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

can i run a windows server on raspberry pi?

minecraft server raspberry pi windows

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

mad_about_blocks

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

I have recently aquired a raspberry pi, a small creditcard size computer runnning on a linux based operating system. These small computers dont require much power and i was wondering if i could make a windows based server run on the raspberry pi. im not to bothered about difficulty i just would like to know if thiscan be done or not.

note: im talking about runnuing a minecraft server :)

Register or log in to remove.

Survivzor

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:23 AM

probably not since its not an x86 chip. there is an article here (at the bottom of the page) where someone does access win7 through VMware though it doesnt look like its running on the Pi

View Postrch, on 24 March 2011 - 07:04 PM, said:

I use my shoe temporary Minecraft window sponge.

Syfaro
    Syfaro

Retired Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 5209 posts
  • Minecraft: Syfaro

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

You should be able to just install OpenJDK JRE (openjdk-7-jre in apt) and run the server software with that (java -jar minecraft_server.jar or Bukkit or whatever).

Minecraft API - A JSON API for fetching information about Minecraft & Minecraft servers

Read my blog about tech stuff!

chunksman
  • Minecraft: chunksman

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:32 AM

As far as running a Minecraft server on a Pi - been there, done that. I watched this and other videos to help me do it just to see if I could:

Trying to run windows on a Pi would be nearly impossible and completely unecessary. There is not enough memory to viably support a Virtual Box or Virtual Machine, nor would you want to when Minecraft server works so well 'out of the box' for linux based systems already. It's all Java. Posted Image

Just remember that you're only going to be able to support around 5 - 10 players reliably with any sort of mods, everyone logged in at the same time, etc. 10 people all playing heavy will surprise you on how fast resources will start hurting. The Pi is designed for some seriously amazing parallel processing - but a server is minimal / no gui, all number crunching. So the amazing power of the Pi is not so amazing as it would seem in this case. It works fine don't get me wrong, but it is not going to support 50 people, lag free, with all the mods you can throw at it, etc. - Vanilla Server (or craftbukkit with no frills aside from say spawn area, etc. like the video discusses) and I'd say you'd be pleasantly surprised Posted Image

Take care,
Chunks
Thinking upon the immortal words of Socrates who said... "I drank what?!"
- Real Genius