minecraft map goofy mystery

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Sentimeta

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:20 AM

Cruise Ship Down

Posted Image

Description

This map takes place, as you might expect, on a luxurious cruise ship. Everyone's chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool and all partying like a whole bunch of fools when suddenly there's a MURDER! Dun dun duuun. So, you take it upon yourself to look for clues across the entirety of the ship (because you actually happen to be an undercover agent just posing as a rich guest), leading to an adventure that inevitably ends with a bang. Well, lots of bangs. And lots of water, too. The ship starts to sink, is what I'm saying here.

TLDR: Murder mystery, on a cruise ship, has some quirky humour, it's pretty cool.

It contains no parkour, and not a lot of mob fighting, so it's pretty easy. It's more of a story driven journey to just (hopefully) be casually enjoyed.

The map should take around 30 - 45 minutes to complete, though this could vary depending on a couple of optional things you may or may not do and how quickly you figure things out. The map will also work with multiple players.

The download includes a custom resource pack. You should really use that.

And that's it! Have fun!

Screenshots

Spoiler:

Trailer (created by rsmalec)

Spoiler:

Played by the Yogscast!

Spoiler:

Download (includes map + resource pack):

http://adf.ly/U28L5

[Alternate download link]

Let me know if there are any bugs. I've tried to test it as best I can, but this is only my first map so there could be some mistakes. Especially in the Lounge.

Register or log in to remove.

flamespeedy

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

this work for lan/co-op?

Sentimeta

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:46 AM

Yes, it should. Just make sure command blocks are enabled.

rsmalec
    rsmalec

Blaze Extinguisher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4537 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

Review Summary
FANTASTIC fun.  I love it when an map comes out of nowhere and really impresses me.
A mystery on the high seas!  Thoroughly enjoyable story, great use of multiple Minecraft mechanics.  Just the right length.  Super interesting puzzle (not hard), and a tiny bit of combat.  Great attention to visual detail.  HIGHLY recommended.

Total Rating: 20
Innovation - 4 (great use of multiple Minecraft mechanics and a clever puzzle!)
Detail - 4 (consistent attention to detail and color)
Experience - 4 (I laughed, I sleuthed, I ran, I really enjoyed)
Challenge - 4 (small puzzles, tiny combat, but I -felt- like I was really figuring out the mystery)
Progression - 4 (the incremental design of this map is great, with several call backs to earlier actions. great use of teleports to simulate changes in the ship)

Total Playtime: 1 hour

To read more about how my rating system works, or to see how this map compares to over 500 other maps I've rated, click the image in my signature!

Gameplay Notes
Spoiler:

Posted Image

SharkMonster
  • Minecraft: SharkMonster

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Really good map. I ended up dieing because I accused 2 people wrongly.
Hope won't make dat chickin kook.

ZanitorTv

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

Did a let's play for it! Here's the first part!

VIIs
    VIIs

Zombie Killer

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 161 posts
  • Minecraft: The_VII
  • Xbox:The VII

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

Wow a 20/20 from rsmalec I will have to try this out soon.

Check me out on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/VIIsLuck

Posted Image

Sentimeta

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

View Postrsmalec, on 14 August 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

Review Summary...

Wow, thanks. It's very interesting to read what you were thinking as you progressed through the map.
I really appreciate the feedback. I'll make a few improvements to do with some of what you noted in an update soon.

View PostSharkMonster, on 14 August 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

Really good map. I ended up dieing because I accused 2 people wrongly.

Aw. You should try it again, if you can. The other ending is much more satisfying.
FYI for anyone else interested: You shouldn't accuse people unless you have an item labelled 'Proof' and an item labelled 'Motive'.
If in doubt, ask everyone about all the clues you have.

LgrGamerz

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

Nice man just done a video of this map hope to upload it soon, just a little spoiler thingy who was the killer i guessed wrong twice god dammit.

Sentimeta

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

Updated the download. Changes:

- Renamed the 'tickets' to 'cards', as this does make more sense.
- Added a line of extra dialogue for Zed Zalias.
- Added command block upon first entering bar to tell the player they hear voices ahead.
- Renamed "Notes" to "Zed Zalias' Notes".
- Improved engine room corridors by labelling the rooms for easier navigation.
- Named one of the villagers (and gave them something extra to drop).
- Added some items to fill the chests in the suite.
- Fixed a small bug with the voice files playing twice.

Resource pack updates:

- Added custom silverfish texture.
- Added custom silverfish sounds.
- Added custom bow and arrow textures (The bow looks a little weird, might change it again later).
- Added custom bow sound.
- Made some audio files louder to be more in balance with other sounds.
- Silenced the rain (It's annoying).

View PostLgrGamerz, on 14 August 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Nice man just done a video of this map hope to upload it soon, just a little spoiler thingy who was the killer i guessed wrong twice god dammit.

I PM'd you who the killer was. I don't want to put it here, even in a spoiler tag.

Dartron
    Dartron

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Minecraft: Dartron

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

Resource Pack isn't showing up once I have put it in the folder.

BuffaloMoon

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

Exceptionally done map.

Posted Image

Dartron
    Dartron

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

Nvm Got it working.

Dartron
    Dartron

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

Tried asking Cole and Simon about evidence but they never spat them back out.

Sentimeta

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:27 PM

View PostDartron, on 14 August 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

Tried asking Cole and Simon about evidence but they never spat them back out.

A friend of mine had the same issue with 'losing' things they threw in. It's strange because all the redstone does seem to work properly, as I've tested it and had no problems and apparently it has worked fine for others too. I can only assume it's some sort of Minecraft bug with droppers and hoppers. The dropper could be spitting the item so that it flies outside of the map, or something like that.

I'm going to try to investigate this some more, but if I can't fix it, I'll add a chest with all the clues you can get, so that if you lose any, you can get them back from there (I suppose people could also take the clues from there if they are really stuck, but that would basically be cheating).

Sentimeta

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:34 AM

Okay, I updated the download again. I think it might have something to do with blocks being near where the dropper spits out. So I've gotten rid of some of the slabs and the heads don't have fence bodies anymore, they're just kind of floating there for now. I did sometimes notice the items teleported around a bit when they got spit out onto a slab, so that could have been the problem.

I really don't know if that will even help, though, because I can't replicate the issue. So, if this hasn't fixed it, then I'll add the chest I mentioned before.

Bear in mind that if one of them gives you a new clue, they sometimes won't give you the old clue back (because it then becomes obsolete, basically, so there's no point).

Materwelonz
  • Minecraft: Materwelonz

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

Awesome, A Whodunit + Minecraft! I love me a good detective story. I haven't finished playing it (even though it's not that long ._.;), so I will refrain from giving my thoughts until I do so.

Btw, did you take inspiration from a game called "The Ship"? That game's about killing people on a cruise ship also!

I love Minecraft adventure maps!

SidGarcia

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:17 AM

I am thoroughly impressed with the immersion and storytelling in the map.
The use of the resource pack and the command blocks makes the story flow seamlessly and doesn't make you bored.
The small details and easter-eggs makes it also worthwhile, and all part of that mystery-adventure charm.
It also rewards you greatly for exploring and finding all the side content, as it gives you enough information to deduct who the killer is before the interrogation part in the lounge.
The twist in the end (and the choice of music especially) made us really hyped and excited and gave the story a wonderful finale.
The ending gives me a feeling of film noir (not a completely happy ending for our protagonist, to say it so), which is fitting for a murder mystery.

Perhaps the best choice in the design and direction of the map was to keep the protagonist anonymous and not too descriptive, to fit all players.
Bravo! Bravo for a wonderful experience that works great both alone and with friends!
The length was just right as well, almost like a short novel or a British crime thriller.

The references were a tad too obvious, but very cute.
Do you have plans to make another custom map in the future?
I truly hope so, because this was fantastic!

And one other question: How many voice actors took part in the recording, and why have they not been given credit in the post?

GrannyGamer1

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:14 AM

View PostDartron, on 14 August 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

Nvm Got it working.
Please, please, please elaborate! I've been dinking around with it for twenty minutes and I can't get her to run. Gimme a hint? PS: I've moved it, zipped, into resource pack folder. Shows up there, but the game doesn't see it.
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.c...er/GrannyGamer1 There's no wrong way to play MineCraft. Here, we'll discuss tactics, strategies, making the game accessible to people with disabilities.

Sentimeta

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:46 AM

View PostGrannyGamer1, on 15 August 2013 - 03:14 AM, said:

Please, please, please elaborate! I've been dinking around with it for twenty minutes and I can't get her to run. Gimme a hint? PS: I've moved it, zipped, into resource pack folder. Shows up there, but the game doesn't see it.

My bad. You'll have to unzip it so that you have the 'Cruise Ship Resource Pack' folder (not the .zip) in the resourcepacks folder. I'll fix that soon, for convenience.

View PostSidGarcia, on 15 August 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

I am thoroughly impressed with the immersion and storytelling in the map.
The use of the resource pack and the command blocks makes the story flow seamlessly and doesn't make you bored.
The small details and easter-eggs makes it also worthwhile, and all part of that mystery-adventure charm.
It also rewards you greatly for exploring and finding all the side content, as it gives you enough information to deduct who the killer is before the interrogation part in the lounge.
The twist in the end (and the choice of music especially) made us really hyped and excited and gave the story a wonderful finale.
The ending gives me a feeling of film noir (not a completely happy ending for our protagonist, to say it so), which is fitting for a murder mystery.

Perhaps the best choice in the design and direction of the map was to keep the protagonist anonymous and not too descriptive, to fit all players.
Bravo! Bravo for a wonderful experience that works great both alone and with friends!
The length was just right as well, almost like a short novel or a British crime thriller.

The references were a tad too obvious, but very cute.
Do you have plans to make another custom map in the future?
I truly hope so, because this was fantastic!

And one other question: How many voice actors took part in the recording, and why have they not been given credit in the post?

Thanks for the kind words. Honestly, I'm surprised the map has been so well received. I have a few ideas for another map, so yes, I may make another map sometime in the future.

To answer your other question, I did all the voice acting. ;) If you went back and listened to the voices again, I'm sure you could probably hear they're all somewhat, kind of similar.