Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[Solved] Terrible lag when launching Minecraft

java lag computer minecraft launcher

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Dragonphase

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

I've been having this issue for well over a year now but have put up with it after finding no successful help or advice on how to solve it. Every time I launch Minecraft, my computer becomes really slow until the built-in web browser displaying Minecraft's tumblr page (with the updates) is displayed, at which point my computer returns to regular speed.

By "really slow" I mean, everything - moving the mouse becomes laggy and general computer operation is impossible until it's finished loading, and this persists for at most 20 seconds. It's like running Minecraft with shaders (for me at least). It hasn't always done this however, back when the very old launcher (without the built-in tumblr page) was used, it was just fine. But with the new launchers, this problem persisted. I had to create my own launcher in C# to resolve this problem but it shouldn't have come to that.

I've found only one person with the exact same problems I am having, and he posted a topic here, but none of the advice given there has helped. Minecraft itself runs fine, at 60fps. I have 4GB of RAM and a graphics card capable of running any game at normal settings. I'm on a 20Mbps connection (UK). I have re-installed several versions of Java several times, both x86 and x64, but with no success. I am currently running Java version 7 update 25, 64-bit, and have no other versions installed. I am using IPv4. Disconnecting from the internet causes this problem to vanish, resulting in no lag at all, and I can play minecraft offline.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials (because I know what a virus is and am smart enough to not download one), and have removed it, which has no effect.

It should also be noted that I receive the exact same results (possibly worse) when attempting to launch StarMade. I've observed this issue for over a year and can safely assume it's a connection related problem.

If you would like me to provide you with more information on my computer specs or any other related things, I will do so.

Things i will NOT do:
  • Reinstall Java (done this already, no luck.)
  • Redownload Minecraft (unnecessary.)
  • Update my drivers (they're up-to-date.)
  • Any other meaningless task (I'll know what a meaningless task is when I see one.)

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Tehyoda
    Tehyoda

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

Problems such as these are hard to diagnose because there is no error code/log.
I do have a few things we can try.

First, lets get some more info on your system.

Run my Minecraft Auto Repair Tool and click Get System Information.
Then post the contents of the MCFixLog.txt file located on your desktop.
Having a problem launching Minecraft?
Try using my Minecraft Auto Repair Tool!
(Outdated)

[1.7.2] INVISIBILITY POTIONS FIX (MC-18284)

Dragonphase

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostTehyoda, on 09 August 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

Problems such as these are hard to diagnose because there is no error code/log.
I do have a few things we can try.

First, lets get some more info on your system.

Run my Minecraft Auto Repair Tool and click Get System Information.
Then post the contents of the MCFixLog.txt file located on your desktop.

http://pastie.org/pr...b7eibw76jtss8gg

Posted Image

Syfaro
    Syfaro

Retired Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 5209 posts
  • Minecraft: Syfaro

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

Would you happen to know what language StarMade is written in? If Java, it might just be a Java issue with your networking drivers. You could perhaps try looking for updates. Even if not Java, this wouldn't be a bad idea.

Something interesting to try (not sure if this will provide any relevant information) would be to use a VirtualBox running the same OS as you to open the Minecraft launcher and see if it lags your computer or the VirtualBox (even though VirtualBox emulates a totally different network device for the VirtualBox). (This probably wouldn't help, it just would be interesting to see the results of)

Also, totally not related to the issue, but I used to use that as my avatar :P

Minecraft API - A JSON API for fetching information about Minecraft & Minecraft servers

Read my blog about tech stuff!

Dragonphase

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostSyfaro, on 09 August 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

Would you happen to know what language StarMade is written in? If Java, it might just be a Java issue with your networking drivers. You could perhaps try looking for updates. Even if not Java, this wouldn't be a bad idea.

Something interesting to try (not sure if this will provide any relevant information) would be to use a VirtualBox running the same OS as you to open the Minecraft launcher and see if it lags your computer or the VirtualBox (even though VirtualBox emulates a totally different network device for the VirtualBox). (This probably wouldn't help, it just would be interesting to see the results of)

It's written in Java, and I know it's an issue with connections within Java from what I have observed. My drivers are up-to-date. I will try using VirtualBox as a last resort when I have more free time to set it up.

It's an awesome avatar, right?! c:

Posted Image

Syfaro
    Syfaro

Retired Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 5209 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

View PostDragonphase, on 09 August 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

It's written in Java, and I know it's an issue with connections within Java from what I have observed. My drivers are up-to-date. I will try using VirtualBox as a last resort when I have more free time to set it up.

It's an awesome avatar, right?! c:

Have you tried using Java 8? I doubt this would fix it either, but who knows. Also, did you experience this with Java 6? You could try reverting to that.

Wolves are one of my favorite animals, I'm actually wearing a wolf shirt right now XP

Minecraft API - A JSON API for fetching information about Minecraft & Minecraft servers

Dragonphase

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

I have tried all versions of Java, bar 8. I will try it now, although I'm not entirely confident this will solve my problem.

They're one of my favourite animals too, I want to get a husky some time in the near future! P:

Posted Image

Tehyoda
    Tehyoda

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

So it's definitely a problem with Java.
Maybe it's a problem with the Java JIT (Just-In-Time) Compiler... maybe.

Try Java 8 as Syfaro suggested first. If that doesn't work revert back to Java 7.

Shift-Right-Click on your desktop and click Open command window here.
Then type in: java -XX:+PrintCompilation -jar Minecraft.exe > Compile.txt

When it's done, after the launcher did it's hang thing,
close Minecraft, and post the contents of the Compile.txt file located on your desktop.
Having a problem launching Minecraft?
Try using my Minecraft Auto Repair Tool!
(Outdated)

[1.7.2] INVISIBILITY POTIONS FIX (MC-18284)

Dragonphase

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

View PostSyfaro, on 09 August 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

Have you tried using Java 8? I doubt this would fix it either, but who knows. Also, did you experience this with Java 6? You could try reverting to that.

Wolves are one of my favorite animals, I'm actually wearing a wolf shirt right now XP

View PostDragonphase, on 09 August 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

I have tried all versions of Java, bar 8. I will try it now, although I'm not entirely confident this will solve my problem.

They're one of my favourite animals too, I want to get a husky some time in the near future! P:

View PostTehyoda, on 09 August 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

So it's definitely a problem with Java.
Maybe it's a problem with the Java JIT (Just-In-Time) Compiler... maybe.

Try Java 8 as Syfaro suggested first. If that doesn't work revert back to Java 7.

Shift-Right-Click on your desktop and click Open command window here.
Then type in: java -XX:+PrintCompilation -jar Minecraft.exe > Compile.txt

When it's done, after the launcher did it's hang thing,
close Minecraft, and post the contents of the Compile.txt file located on your desktop.

Well that backfired... After installing JRE and JDK 8, I don't get any more lag. I didn't even know a version 8 existed, but I am glad it does. I'll run StarMade to observe how it handles launching using version 8 and let you know the results.

EDIT: Works great. Thanks for the help!

Posted Image

Syfaro
    Syfaro

Retired Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 5209 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostDragonphase, on 09 August 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

Well that backfired... After installing JRE and JDK 8, I don't get any more lag. I didn't even know a version 8 existed, but I am glad it does. I'll run StarMade to observe how it handles launching using version 8 and let you know the results.

EDIT: Works great. Thanks for the help!

I'm honestly really surprised that worked XP

It's good that it's working normally now :)