Latest News Article

Surface RT...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

SonicFan4562
  • Minecraft: SonicFan4562
  • Xbox:SonicFan4562

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

I was using my new surface rt I got for my b-day (august 5) and when I made my account, da first thing I wanted 2 do was install minecraft. First I tried installing java but it didn't want to install, next I tried just downloading Minecraft.exe and running It, and it said:

This app cannot run on this pc

To find apps for this pc go to the windows store

Well then I stopped trying and searched "install java on surface rt"

I went to a random forum and I saw this:

vfa727

You cant install Java on the Surface RT. If you want to install something it will have to come from the Store and if its not in there then that is it.  Are you trying to play a game?

Heres a good read on how Windows RT works
http://windows.micro.../windows-rt-faq

Well now I have to use my old computer for java (java = minecraft) and I don't wanna do that.

My old computer (dell laptop) isn't as portable as my surface rt

You cant take it on airplane trips.. and I need to get minecraft in my surface rt so I can play it when im like going for 3 hour drives or something

Please help!!
I'M EPIC

Register or log in to remove.

fm87
    fm87

Beyond the Horizon

• Members
  • 22016 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

The surface RT is an ARM tablet, thus it cannot run x86 applications like Minecraft.

I'm unsure if there is an ARM version of Java out there, if there is you might be able to get it to run, but there are no guarantees.

JohnOptegrove

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostSonicFan4562, on 06 August 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

You cant take it on airplane trips
You can completely take laptops on aircraft.

Christoi
    Christoi

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6421 posts
  • Minecraft: christoi28

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

View Postfm87, on 06 August 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

I'm unsure if there is an ARM version of Java out there, if there is you might be able to get it to run, but there are no guarantees.
Considering the Surface RT uses a Tegra 3 chip however, it probably won't run very well.

View PostHazali, on 07 October 2011 - 09:34 PM, said:

Change it, it's ruined forever. Keep it the way it is, the creator is lazy.

fm87
    fm87

Beyond the Horizon

• Members
  • 22016 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostEvilCreeper10, on 06 August 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

You can completely take laptops on aircraft.
Definitely. I've taken both my tiny netbook and giant processing laptops and used them on planes with no issue.

View PostChristoi, on 06 August 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

Considering the Surface RT uses a Tegra 3 chip however, it probably won't run very well.
Does it? I thought it used something a bit more powerful.

JohnOptegrove

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

View Postfm87, on 06 August 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

Definitely. I've taken both my tiny netbook and giant processing laptops and used them on planes with no issue.
And if there was an issue with laptops on aircraft, I'd say airport personnel wouldn't make the distinction between a laptop and Surface.

SonicFan4562

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:39 AM

Well the reason I don't want to take my old laptop on an airplane is because its full of apps plus it uses a dualboot, so it runs slow. The surface rt on da other hand is new therefore I could play minecraft on it without lag.

Ive heard people use remote desktop and software that hacks any windows seven app on to a surface RT but im not sure if that 'hacking' is safe and it would take ages for remote desktop to load up all dat other stuff on my laptop.. and proably lag minecraft as well..
I'M EPIC

karlzhao314

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:51 AM

View PostSonicFan4562, on 07 August 2013 - 04:39 AM, said:

Well the reason I don't want to take my old laptop on an airplane is because its full of apps plus it uses a dualboot, so it runs slow. The surface rt on da other hand is new therefore I could play minecraft on it without lag.
Dual boot doesn't make anything slow. More likely is that you screwed it up with viruses. Also, just because it's new doesn't mean that it will play Minecraft without lag; in your case, it won't play Minecraft at all.

Ive heard people use remote desktop and software that hacks any windows seven app on to a surface RT but im not sure if that 'hacking' is safe and it would take ages for remote desktop to load up all dat other stuff on my laptop.. and proably lag minecraft as well..
Remote desktop is controlling a desktop computer through a tablet or a phone; it's not hacking a x86-64 Windows application to run in Windows RT. It depends on your network connection, so if you wanted to use it on the go, you'd be using a ton of data. And since it depends on the network connection, latency is extremely high and you won't get a good framerate.
Aura
Goodbye fm87 :(

SonicFan4562

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

View Postkarlzhao314, on 07 August 2013 - 04:51 AM, said:

More likely is that you screwed it up with viruses.

My laptop has anti-virus the reason it's slow Is because its got like ovar 9,0000 apps installed on it

View Postkarlzhao314, on 07 August 2013 - 04:51 AM, said:

Remote desktop is controlling a desktop computer through a tablet or a phone; it's not hacking a x86-64 Windows application to run in Windows RT

The hacking software is not remote desktop it is it's own thing
I'M EPIC

JohnOptegrove

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostSonicFan4562, on 07 August 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

My laptop has anti-virus the reason it's slow Is because its got like ovar 9,0000 apps installed on it

No you don't. You have programs.

And that's not the problem at all. You probably either screwed something up or have malware.

CodofMC
    CodofMC

Portal Expert

• Members
  • 5333 posts
  • Minecraft: NannerManCan

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

I highly doubt you have so many programs installed on your laptop, that it has actually decreased performance significantly.  More likely is that you have a slow laptop to begin with, a lot of unnecessary startup programs are checked, the HDD needs to be defragged, or you're using poor anti-virus software that has let threats slipped past which have sapped resources.  I am going to guess that all of the above need to be addressed.

What are the specs of your laptop?  The CPU, RAM, and HDD in particular.  What anti-virus software are you running?  If you are running Norton, Kaspersky, AVG, or some other one you're paying to use, you should switch to Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes.  The other two problems can be addressed after these other two are taken care of.

TheFieldZy said:

Nobody's perfect, so neither is Hannah Montana Linux, but it's pretty great.

BC_Programming on Operating Systems said:

They all suck. They just suck differently. Sort of like prostitutes.

fm87
    fm87

Beyond the Horizon

• Members
  • 22016 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostSonicFan4562, on 07 August 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

The hacking software is not remote desktop it is it's own thing
I highly doubt you could 'hack' x86 applications to run on ARM natively, even then, the performance would be absolute trash.

StalePhish
  • Minecraft: StalePhish

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

Surface RT runs a very light version of Windows 8 which is more like a cell phone OS than a computer OS. It only allows you to get "apps" through some sort of app store. If you want to run regular computer software, you would need the Surface Pro instead, which runs the full version of Windows 8.

SlamDrag
    SlamDrag

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1732 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

View PostEvilCreeper10, on 07 August 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

No you don't. You have programs.

And that's not the problem at all. You probably either screwed something up or have malware.

It probably is the problem, he probably has like 100+ startup applications going at the same time.

Thescorpi0n

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

Even if you were able to get it to work, there is no way Minecraft will run on a Surface tablet.

Posted Image

duartel said:

Monkah_Boy said:

DimMyXx said:

Cool.
Story.
Bro.

JohnOptegrove

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostSlamDrag, on 07 August 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

It probably is the problem, he probably has like 100+ startup applications going at the same time.

I think he meant in terms of programs installed, not startup programs.

SonicFan4562

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:17 AM

View PostCodofMC, on 07 August 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

you're using poor anti-virus software that has let threats slipped past which have sapped resources.

No im using McAffe (http://www.mcafee.com/au/index.html)
I'M EPIC

Kruzzik_Kel
  • Minecraft: Kruziik_Kel

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:31 AM

View PostSonicFan4562, on 08 August 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

McAffe is utter garbage its almsot as bad as Norton. Remove McAffe and then download the free version Malwarebytes Anti Malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and run a scan once thats done pick up the free version of Avast!http://www.avast.com...n-gb/index��for realtime and continue using MBAM for scans

You might benefit from a clean instal if you have the disk, get rid of all the manufacturer bloat (and all the crap you will have accumulated) as well

View Postfm87, on 15 August 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

They are as much "hackers" as Obama is a giant reptilian space toaster.

JohnOptegrove

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostSonicFan4562, on 08 August 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

McAfee IS poor anti-virus software.

BC_Programming
  • Minecraft: BC_Programming

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

I've always found it interesting how people would insist they couldn't possibly be infected because they use a AV Suite of some description. That's the equivalent of coming down with every indication that you have a cold but insisting that it must be something else simply because you take Vitamin C drops.

Of course in this case those vitamin C drops are sugar-lozenges.