I have written a tool that will hopefully make the process of assisting people in the support forms (as well
as people trying to resolve their own issues) easier.
Having a problem? Run my tool and do a full repair.
Still having a problem? Make a post in the support forms. Copy and paste the contents of the MCFixLog.txt file located on your desktop into your post along with details on your error/problem.
Currently, my tool automatically does the following:
- Fixes permissions on .minecraft folder to assure the user has full access to it
- Downloads the latest launcher
- Deletes all files in .minecraft except the saves folder
- Checks for exclamation marks in profile name, and offers solution if there is one
- Uninstalls all old versions of Java and installs the latest for the OS architecture
- Tries to launch Minecraft redirecting all output for easy review
It creates a log on the users desktop named MCFixLog.txt that's much shorter than a dxdiag log, yet should provide all the necessary information.
Want something added? Something added to the MCFixLog, or another automatic repair task?
Just ask and I'll probably add it
* When you run the tool, it will close all Java processes to assure Minecraft is not running and to allow Java to be uninstalled.
* Before deleting anything in the .minecraft folder, it will first make a backup named .minecraft.bak and copy everything from .minecraft into .minecraft.bak
Example log from my system:
==== System Information Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit) CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz Physical RAM: 6144 MB Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. (Model: 350V5C/351V5C/3540VC/3440VC) AppData: C:\Users\------\AppData\Roaming ==== Display Drivers DeviceName : Intel® HD Graphics 4000 DeviceID : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&SUBSYS_C0D8144D&REV_09\3&11583659&1&10 DriverVersion : 220.127.116.1165 DriverDate : 5/7/2013 DeviceName : AMD Radeon HD 7700M Series DeviceID : PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_682F&SUBSYS_C0D8144D&REV_00\4&14D5146E&0&0008 DriverVersion : 18.104.22.168 DriverDate : 7/23/2013 ==== Auto Repair Found launcher: "C:\Users\------\Desktop\Minecraft.exe" Exists? Yes. All Java processes killed successfully Successfully fixed permissions Successfully updated the launcher Successfully cleaned .minecraft directory Successfully repaired and updated Java ==== Java Installations Java 7 Update 25 (64-bit) Java SE Development Kit 7 Update 25 (64-bit) ==== Java -Version java.exe: C:\Windows\System32\java.exe java version "1.7.0_25" Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b17) Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode) ==== Launch Minecraft <Output from launcher>Notice it shows both my display drivers. Dxdiag logs only show the current display driver under the Display Devices section. This log is much easier to read.
Todo (upcoming features =])
* Detect modified uxtheme. This has shown to cause the Fatal bootstrap error. If detected, set _JAVA_OPTIONS environment variable to make Java use Metal L&F which has shown to resolve the problem.
* Check tool version. If there is an updated version of the tool, download and run that instead.