61073 replies to this topic

Hybran
    Hybran

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3661 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

View Postcucumberflant, on 15 April 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

My thoughts: a map based on exploration is great, having one life with which to do it is not, especially with actual dungeons that are full of nasty stuff. It just doesn't really feel like hardcore fits with this type of map. If the goal was to try and balance out the respawn difficulties so that they weren't almost all easy, I think it would work better as a medium difficulty map. Keep some difficulty, but don't lose all of your work from the inevitable death due to the oodles of blazes and cave spiders who couldn't care less about your armor.

Strategy!

All you need is strategy! And speed potions! Which I don't have! Once you conquer one you can conquer them all! Except maybe the Black Wool dungeon. That's a bit different. Back to strategy! Cave spiders may be a nuisance, sure, but a few hits with an iron sword at long range and above them should do it. Blazes? Arrows exist! Just make a wall, block their fireballs and you can snipe 'em from any difference. In close quarters? Jump around like a maniac swingin' your sword!

Also, where's the damned Blue Wool?

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Muzuh
    Muzuh

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1578 posts
  • Minecraft: Muzuh
  • Xbox:Muzuh

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:31 AM

View PostHybran, on 15 April 2012 - 05:22 AM, said:

Strategy!

All you need is strategy! And speed potions! Which I don't have! Once you conquer one you can conquer them all! Except maybe the Black Wool dungeon. That's a bit different. Back to strategy! Cave spiders may be a nuisance, sure, but a few hits with an iron sword at long range and above them should do it. Blazes? Arrows exist! Just make a wall, block their fireballs and you can snipe 'em from any difference. In close quarters? Jump around like a maniac swingin' your sword!

Also, where's the damned Blue Wool?

You are a true fan of SH!

Hybran
    Hybran

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3661 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

View PostMuzuh, on 15 April 2012 - 05:31 AM, said:

You are a true fan of SH!

Indeed I bloody am!

I still can't find the Blue Wool!

Posted Image

DrHalogen

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:36 AM

Hybran,

Spoiler:

Hope these spoiler tags work. Posted Image
Posted Image

Hybran
    Hybran

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3661 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

View PostDrHalogen, on 15 April 2012 - 05:36 AM, said:

Hybran,

Spoiler:

Hope these spoiler tags work. Posted Image

Yay!

I'm at the VM now, going to find my damned way there, damned if I know it is the damned blue wool. GODDAMNIT.

Posted Image

Muzuh
    Muzuh

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1578 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

View PostHybran, on 15 April 2012 - 05:39 AM, said:

Yay!

I'm at the VM now, going to find my damned way there, damned if I know it is the damned blue wool. GODDAMNIT.

Damn diggity damn damn damn!

gingeweasly
  • Minecraft: gingeweasly

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

thjis map is awesome, but soo difficult on hardcore! you really have to take your time when playing the map, or else you will die a horribly painful rage inducing death...
Check out my minecraft lets play videos!
http://www.youtube.c...ser/gingeweasly

Hybran
    Hybran

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3661 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

View PostMuzuh, on 15 April 2012 - 05:41 AM, said:

Damn diggity damn damn damn!

GODDAMNIT HE WAS DAMN RIGHT

But that was the damn easiest damn wool in the ENTIRE DAMN MAP (bar, Green and Brown which are jokes) that had damn combat. I WON! Aren't I the first person in the thread to do it? WINRAR!

Pictures, full analysis coming soon!

Posted Image

Muzuh
    Muzuh

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1578 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

View PostHybran, on 15 April 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

GODDAMNIT HE WAS DAMN RIGHT

But that was the damn easiest damn wool in the ENTIRE DAMN MAP (bar, Green and Brown which are jokes) that had damn combat. I WON! Aren't I the first person in the thread to do it? WINRAR!

Pictures, full analysis coming soon!

ZOMG
Nice job! I think you are the first to finish and then post here.
Great. Can't wait to see full analysis.

ColdFusionGaming
  • Minecraft: ColdFusionGaming

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

Lethamyr playthrough notes:

SPOILERS!
Spoiler:

ColdFusionGaming's Custom Minecraft Maps - The L'brour Mansion - Gloria - Monstrosity - Soaring No Longer

DrHalogen

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

On #11:

This isn't my type of map at all, and so I agree with Foot's analysis, suggesting Vechs release a non-hardcore version, even though it was easy to convert. Whenever I come across a map like this my play-through quickly becomes a fly-through.

I considered if the terrain was cut down, but the dungeons, however average, really do suit the large style of map, and the mountain dungeon looked really cool.

That said, it's nice to see Vechs trying new things, and as it is big, it should keep the community set until Fallen Kingdom.
Posted Image

Hybran
    Hybran

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3661 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

Super Hostile #11 - Lethamyr: End Notes

Brilliant. The map was an excellent innovation on the Super Hostile series, with a lone island as the predator...I shall go through my wacky wool recounts and-

wait, is that you...
Picturemobile?
You've come back?
There's something in my eye...
*sniff*

...picturemobile later. Here is my thoughts on the entire thing, start to finish.

Spoiler:

Wool Recounts!

Spoiler:

Oh man, are you ready for this? This hasn't been here in a long time, folks. Nightmare Realm was the last one, I'm pretty sure...and that map was AWESOME!

Picturemobile.

Spoiler:

Thanks for the map, Vechs!

Posted Image

Muzuh
    Muzuh

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1578 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

View PostHybran, on 15 April 2012 - 06:27 AM, said:

Brilliant. The map was an excellent innovation on the Super Hostile series, with a lone island as the predator...I shall go through my wacky wool recounts and-

wait, is that you...
Picturemobile?
You've come back?
*sniff*

...picturemobile later. Here is my thoughts on the entire thing, start to finish.

Spoiler:

Wool Recounts!

Spoiler:

Oh man, are you ready for this? This hasn't been here in a long time, folks. Nightmare Realm was the last one, I'm pretty sure...and that map was AWESOME!

Picturemobile.

Spoiler:

wait, is that you...
Picturemobile?
You've come back?
*sniff*

Spoiler:

Wool Recounts!

Spoiler:

Picturemobile.

Spoiler:

How do you know what level an item is?

dirtysockwizard

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

I see you've got some diamond armour there, Hybran.
Would you be happy to share some with me?
I am the ch33f.

isaac_bardin
  • Minecraft: idb79

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

-herpy derp snippity snip-

Well, congrats. I must say that although I am over here fuming that I'm not done with the map yet and you are.

Annndddd.... the picturemobile... *sniff... I missed it. It even has the Isaac-repellent texture pack! That brings a tear to my eye, in more ways than one aw I'm so mean to Hybran about his texturepack.
Posted Image

AxlRosie
  • Minecraft: AxlRosie

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

View PostVechs, on 15 April 2012 - 02:58 AM, said:

Well, I know this style of map will not be for everyone.  Some people won't like it -- that's fine.  They don't have to play it.  Of course, his complaints with Lethamyr apply to vanilla Minecraft as well.  Lethamyr is basically vanilla Minecraft, but on a huge island, and with a long term goal to work towards.  Oh, and there are dungeons full of random loot and random spawners.  So I think anyone who doesn't like this map, also probably doesn't like Minecraft.  *shrugs*  Nothing I can do about that.

Anyone who doesn't like this map also doesn't like Minecraft? Baw, don't say that. =3
It's all about style, as you said. Open world maps like that, based in exploration, are just not my thing. I love vanilla Minecraft, but sometimes I feel the need of a more rushed, linear objective - why, that's the main reason I got hooked up on Super Hostile maps. ;)

Also, I must add that the randomizing detail was amazing. Giving a different game experience to each variant is genius, and I think you should use that again sometime. I'm sure for those who like the style, the map will be great. Based on the feedback I'm reading, even I'm thinking about actually giving it a try after kaizo Caverns.

Your maps are always awesome, Vechs. :>

Just don't say people who don't like open world CTM don't like Minecraft too, that hurt my heart. ;A;

Posted Image

isaac_bardin
  • Minecraft: idb79

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

View PostFootissimo, on 15 April 2012 - 03:28 AM, said:

Sorry mate, but I'm going to give you honest feedback unlike many of the sycophants on here.  It just doesn't work.

(i) A map with a focus on exploring doesn't really make sense when it's set as hardcore.  Being an explorer type in MC may well involve deaths (even in regular seeds) and the idea that you then have to go riiiiiight back to the beginning will just put most of those types off. I could poll some SMP explorer types if you like, but I will promise that they will say exactly the same and just wouldn't bother.

(ii)  The areas are huge, but have a samey autistic feel to them - the different areas feel featureless, dull and there's little there to make you feel like you want to go "oh what's over that ridge" like you do with any old random seed

(iii) I can't get with the randomised chest contents at all - I know what you're trying to do (and Kudos for doing so), but they quickly turn into another load of not terribly useful items and irrelevant to where you're at.  Perhaps if people died and needed said items then it would be different..but the map is on hardcore!

(iv) The proper dungeons I saw just seemed uninspired - particularly the one next to the forest / plains / desert..cubes of silverfish blocks with spawners..not even the usual variation of blocks..just all plain stone bricks.

I would completely get it if this was a kinda 'hey I'm experimenting with something, try this out for me' kinda map, but as a SH series map...noooooooo.
Well, as much as I am loving SH #11 so far, I do sorta have to agree with Foot and the huge tide of people that don't like the new map.

The fact that it's in Hardcore mode makes it certainly a challenge, and therefore it also feels like you've accomplished more after you put the last wool on the monument. However, if you happen to die at any point in the map, starting the map over, farming resources over again and doing all the things you had already done over again isn't challenging, it's just plain tedious. Most of the other criticsms of the map have already been posted in this thead, so I will just post one more, echoing Foot:

This map felt very rushed and not very well thought-out to me, from what I've played of it so far. I know Vechs said it's just supposed to be a little thing to tide us over until Fallen Kingdom, but why didn't he make it not a Hardcore map and put in Super Docile? When I heard that this map was in the main, actual, Super Hostile series, I was a little bit surprised. This map doesn't feel like a traditional Vechs CTM map we have come to know and love. Sure, I know Vechs is trying something different with this, but it doesn't feel like a Super Hostile map.

However, I'm not trying to flame Vechs, just trying to provide helpful critism. I know it must be a lot of work for him to make these maps for us, and I don't want to pressure him or make him angry at us, the community, when we think something is wrong with his maps.
Posted Image

Hybran
    Hybran

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3661 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

View Postisaac_bardin, on 15 April 2012 - 07:12 AM, said:

Well, congrats. I must say that although I am over here fuming that I'm not done with the map yet and you are.

Annndddd.... the picturemobile... *sniff... I missed it. It even has the Isaac-repellent texture pack! That brings a tear to my eye, in more ways than one aw I'm so mean to Hybran about his texturepack.

dawwww poor isaac

poor poor isaac

u jelly

u dat jelly

I'm so mean to isaac about his map disabilities.

View Postisaac_bardin, on 15 April 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

Well, as much as I am loving SH #11 so far, I do sorta have to agree with Foot and the huge tide of people that don't like the new map.

The fact that it's in Hardcore mode makes it certainly a challenge, and therefore it also feels like you've accomplished more after you put the last wool on the monument. However, if you happen to die at any point in the map, starting the map over, farming resources over again and doing all the things you had already done over again isn't challenging, it's just plain tedious. Most of the other criticsms of the map have already been posted in this thead, so I will just post one more, echoing Foot:

This map felt very rushed and not very well thought-out to me, from what I've played of it so far. I know Vechs said it's just supposed to be a little thing to tide us over until Fallen Kingdom, but why didn't he make it not a Hardcore map and put in Super Docile? When I heard that this map was in the main, actual, Super Hostile series, I was a little bit surprised. This map doesn't feel like a traditional Vechs CTM map we have come to know and love. Sure, I know Vechs is trying something different with this, but it doesn't feel like a Super Hostile map.

However, I'm not trying to flame Vechs, just trying to provide helpful critism. I know it must be a lot of work for him to make these maps for us, and I don't want to pressure him or make him angry at us, the community, when we think something is wrong with his maps.

Yeah, it is sorta easy and very docile in the terrain. The dungeons are extremely fun and somewhat hard though. It's heaps of fun when you get into it! :D

Also, congrats on 666 posts, bastard. You deserve them.

Posted Image

Muzuh
    Muzuh

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1578 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

View PostHybran, on 15 April 2012 - 07:25 AM, said:

dawwww poor isaac

poor poor isaac

u jelly

u dat jelly

I'm so mean to isaac about his map disabilities.

Yeah, it is sorta easy and very docile in the terrain. The dungeons are extremely fun and somewhat hard though. It's heaps of fun when you get into it! Posted Image

Also, congrats on 666 posts, bastard. You deserve them.

How do you know what level an item is?

Draco_Rogue
    Draco_Rogue

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1114 posts
  • Minecraft: Draco_Rogue

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

I'm playing Lethamyr Variant A right now. But I'm clueless where to start. Can anyone give me a clue? Even a tiny one?

EDIT never mind.

Btw, I can't wait for your Fallen Kingdom map to finish.
Posted Image