Clintonio
    Clintonio

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1080 posts
  • Minecraft: Clintonxa

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:56 AM

POPULAR

(Growth is usually slower than in the video, it's using insane settings)
Old Video

Description:

Ever thought Minecrafts tree and forest system was rather unrealistic? Boring? Uneventful? Then this mod is for you.

In a Nature Overhauled world, forests will grow, flourish, then die, they will expand, then contract. They will try to spread over deserts and fail! Saplings will grow from trees, fly on the wind, then spawn a new tree where they fall. Though, they can die in this process if the world is unfavourable! A desert will kill a new born sapling.

The plants, mushrooms, cactii, reeds and pumpkins of your world will also reproduce and spread their kin far and wide. They too will form intricate ecosystems. Based on biome their growth, death and spread rates change!

Features

- Plants and trees grow, spread and die based on biome
- Lumberjack means axes will cut down the entire tree at once, including the leaves
- Apples drop from trees in temperate biomes
- Cocoa falls from trees in forests
- Bonemeal will make all types of plants and fauna grow
- Biome based growth rates
- Moss and grass spread
- An option to return old, infinite, fire behaviour (Misc Options)
- A fix to water physics preventing strange currents in the sea
- Mushrooms now grow naturally into mushroom trees given room.
- Nether Wart grows and dies like other plants
- Nature Overhaul can check for updates for itself automatically.
- Now has extentions!

Main Download

Prerequisites: Download and install Risugami's Modloader and ModOptionsAPI before Nature Overhaul

Main Version: Download Here

Forge Version: Download Here

Extentions

Nature Overhaul has option extentions that you can install after NatureOverhaul to use. They were added so you can customise your experience with Nature Overhaul to an even greater degree than before, and so you can easily maintain compatibility with your favourite mods.

Animal Breeding Extention

This extension allows animals to produce babies in the wild without player interaction

Download Here

Installation Instructions

Spoiler:

Installation Notes

Spoiler:

Compatibility

Known issues: Incompatible with several mods (PM me names if you know which).
Known Compatibility:

- Compatible with Minecolony,
- Incompatible with Better Than Wolves (no patch yet available)

Quotes, Q&A and Testimonials

Q: Will this mod cause the world to become covered in forests?
A: Short answer is no. Biome based growth means only forest biomes should become that way. Shrublands should fill with plants and so on!

Long Answer was provided by a user of this mod:

xecaquan said:

jorp99 said:

said something

No jorp99, as there is also bio death,  and you are in complete control of the settings.    Let me give you an example.  

My current world I have built a hillside home and airstrip (for my planes) in a rain forest biomes.  On my sea side I have a very lush forest that I can watch growing and dieing.  On my plains side I have watched 3 separate forest fires wipe the whole valley out, for you see there is a rather large pool of lava out there in that valley.  But that is the beauty of this mod, a natural occurring fire from lava wipes out all the trees, and instead of me having to go chopping and planting all the saplings the few remaining trees repopulate the entire valley over time.

Mind you this repopulation takes weeks of in game time as I have all my settings at "Slow", but it is wonderful to have this living dynamic world going on around my little house in Minecraft.

I suggest you install the mod and if you feel the death rate isn't high enough then modify the settings.  However note that there are built in biomes differences, trees just don't grow very well in the desert and your rain forests will become very dense.

Clint has done a fantastic job of trying to make the "nature" fairly realistic.  There are a few little things here and there but this is an ongoing active Mod with lots of working ongoing by the modder (modders now ;) )

Configuration

Spoiler:

Planned Features

Spoiler:

Developers

Spoiler:

Version History

Spoiler:

Register or log in to remove.

mexifelio

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:02 AM

I'm pretty sure I and everyone using lumberjack from minecolony loves you!!!

:iapprove:  :VV:  :VV:  :Diamond:
Any Mac friends having trouble installing forge on your minecraft_server.jar files? Check out my script that lets you do it easily with one simple click! For more info look here http://www.minecraft...-click-install/

Crismajor

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:26 AM

Cool

The Hunter races ever forward, Full of vim naught can dispel.
Loyal, stubborn and straightforward, He'd follow a friend straight to Hell.

Clintonio
    Clintonio

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1080 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:59 AM

mexifelio said:

I'm pretty sure I and everyone using lumberjack from minecolony loves you!!!

:)  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:
Hehe, I hear that the lumberjacks can be quite the issue with deforestation ;)

Up_The_Ying_Yang

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:52 AM

OK Downloaded both mods and loaded them as usual...aaaannnnnnddd... nothing. I made a new test world and still nothing. no crashes or any problems just no menu addition or forest action.

05Sti
    05Sti

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:52 AM

This mod isn't working for me.

Clean install with just ModOptionsAPI v0.1 first (tested works) then add this mod and I get a black screen at startup once i've logged in.

:RFlower:

EDIT - works if I install AutoForest then ModOptionsAPI v0.1 afterwards.

;)

Clintonio
    Clintonio

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1080 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

05Sti said:

This mod isn't working for me.

Clean install with just ModOptionsAPI v0.1 first (tested works) then add this mod and I get a black screen at startup once i've logged in.

;)

EDIT - works if I install AutoForest then ModOptionsAPI v0.1 afterwards.

:Sheep:

Hi! I just noticed the problem, and it was very silly. I have corrected the uploads. The AutoForest 0.5 contained ModOptionsAPI, which when overwritten was not happy :3

Old installs, if working, aren't affected.

OK Downloaded both mods and loaded them as usual...aaaannnnnnddd... nothing. I made a new test world and still nothing. no crashes or any problems just no menu addition or forest action.

Hmm, okay, that is completely unexpected:

Did you read the readme? The files you put into the JAR are in the /files/ folder in the RAR file. Paste those into the root of the JAR file. The /src/, /examples/ and readme.txt files do not go in the JAR file, they are helper/ developer files. (I have an ethos of open sourcing game mods)

rshuttle1337
  • Minecraft: rshuttle1337

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

Awesome!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

zerstreut

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

thank you man!! that is exactly what i need. tested it so far and its epic. im running on superfast and it isnt laggy

Clintonio
    Clintonio

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1080 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

zerstreut said:

thank you man!! that is exactly what i need. tested it so far and its epic. im running on superfast and it isnt laggy

Super fast means a new tree will grow every 30 seconds to a minute. You're going to get some HUGE forests ;D

Up_The_Ying_Yang

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

Did you read the readme? The files you put into the JAR are in the /files/ folder in the RAR file. Paste those into the root of the JAR file. The /src/, /examples/ and readme.txt files do not go in the JAR file, they are helper/ developer files. (I have an ethos of open sourcing game mods)

OK I fixed that and loaded a clean game. Loaded the two mods and generated a fresh game to test.
I now have the Option menu and can change them. I set all on and superfast.
I go into the game and watch an area to test. I see the trees shed and the saplings plant after a min. Then nothing.
No growth at all. I watched for a day then  night then day (game time), no growth.

Clintonio
    Clintonio

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1080 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

Up_The_Ying_Yang said:

OK I fixed that and loaded a clean game. Loaded the two mods and generated a fresh game to test.
I go into the game and watch an area to test. I see the trees shed and the saplings plant after a min. Then nothing.
No growth at all. I watched for a day then  night then day (game time), no growth.

Tree growth isn't determined by this mod. They grow at the rate MC trees usually grow at, under the usual conditions.

For instance, trees need level 9 light and there is a random chance every tick that the tree will grow.

But, there is a small possibility that they never grow, and I have had two people state this. I will soon investigate, in approximately 20 minutes.

Up_The_Ying_Yang

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

Clintonxa said:

Up_The_Ying_Yang said:

Tree growth isn't determined by this mod. They grow at the rate MC trees usually grow at, under the usual conditions.

For instance, trees need level 9 light and there is a random chance every tick that the tree will grow.

But, there is a small possibility that they never grow, and I have had two people state this. I will soon investigate, in approximately 20 minutes.

OK I misunderstood. No problem then. thanks!

mexifelio

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

Finally got a chance to play around with this mod and it is awesome.

Is there any chance you could make an alternative version that plants the saplings 1 block deep (so that animals don't trample them)?
Any Mac friends having trouble installing forge on your minecraft_server.jar files? Check out my script that lets you do it easily with one simple click! For more info look here http://www.minecraft...-click-install/

Omnomnom24

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:38 PM

mexifelio said:

Is there any chance you could make an alternative version that plants the saplings 1 block deep (so that animals don't trample them)?
I was JUST about to ask this very same question.

+1 to that indeed.

'im not retarded and i have social skills and competence i may lack spelling but i could pwn u and ur horribal guild any day of the week' -Hasao0012

Clintonio
    Clintonio

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1080 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

mexifelio said:

Hmmm, animals can trample saplings? I did not know this.

I know they can "pop" out of the ground under certain conditions, like, lighting levels: http://www.minecraft...et/wiki/Sapling

I will be expanding the scope of this mod again soon now I have the ability to turn parts on and off. I may start allowing other plant blocks to randomly grow too, such as shrooms and flowers.

mexifelio

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

Hmm, the trampling might just be with crops. I tested it out by running back and forth over a sapling and it didn't seem to do anything, so I guess it really isn't needed to make it 1 block down.

Clintonio
    Clintonio

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1080 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

That's good then, I was worried for a moment.

Okay, I'm wondering what feature people want next, and does PlantGrowth seem like a good next step? It'll be a mod to allow the fauna of Minecraft to grow in the same way as AutoForest. It'll be configurable in the mod setup.

Alternatively, I could give TreeDeath a really big try, or I could have MultiSapling, which would make saplings generate all three kinds of tree based on terrain, OR I could go back to AutoForest and limit growth by biome.

Just wondering. The only difficult one there is TreeDeath.

Omnomnom24

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:44 PM

TreeDeath, and not just because it's difficult and would push your coding abilities, but also because it's a genuinely good idea and something that many of us feel is missing from the game.

'im not retarded and i have social skills and competence i may lack spelling but i could pwn u and ur horribal guild any day of the week' -Hasao0012

Thea_Notix

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:00 PM

I just tried superfast...

Too slow imho, you need an Impatiently fast option (15 seconds!)

Also, I would love the plant spread, then the trees tweaking, then the tree death...