• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Can I Transfer Xbox saves to PC

technical cross-platform (could end up a how to?)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Just_a_noob

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

Ok, now I am sorry if someone has already asked this, I just have not been able to find it with a thorough search.  Also care to read the title closely and see that the question is about XBOX TO PC, not PC to Xbox.
Also if you are just going to go right off the bat and say that it isn't possible because of translation or other stuff like that, think of the fact that PC worlds do transfer to Xbox, and in all cases of translation, that is the bigger step.  So, stay on topic and thanks for the support.

Register or log in to remove.

UpUp_Away95

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

In case you're wondering why no one is responding to your query.  The forum frown on discussing things that require/encourage modification of Xbox files since modifying Xbox files violates the Xbox Terms of Use.

Just_a_noob

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

So... I should take the topic somewhere else, but no one else will have this kind off topic and yet those topics manage to stay up, thanks for the warning.

Hypnos
    Hypnos

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Minecraft: Captinpixles

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

well btw it is IMPOSSIBLE to move them due to diffrence in coding

Just_a_noob

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

In my first post on this topic, I stated, don't say it is impossible based on the translation of the coding when you can so easily as I have read on other topics, go from PC to Xbox, so please explain in full, why the coding cannot be translated

Just_a_noob

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

so... does minecraft forums and curse discourage bumping?

Sniper_Delta_02

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

Yes, read the rules please. Also, 4j studios ported minecraft to xbox, thus having different code. As far as I know, its impossible to port worlds.
Posted Image

awsmazinggenius

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

Search YouTube...but as far as I am aware it is against the Terms of Use to reverse-engineer or modify Xbox files.

Yay! Stained Glass in 13w48a!!!

Just_a_noob

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:20 AM

even if I do not intend to move them back to the Xbox, and  as for the impossible, CAN YOU READ, everywhere I go searching for answers, all I see is converters and how to's for PC to Xbox.  Thus gives the practical reason that the saves can be ported as they have already been done

karlzhao314

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

Even apart from the world format, it's not possible. There are many limitations on Xbox worlds that don't exist on PC worlds, such as map size (which is unlimited on PC rather than 864x864). They even interpret seeds differently, so even if you found a way to move an Xbox save to PC preserving the seed, terrain, and players, when the PC is generating the world past each 432th block, the world wouldn't line up and it would create what looks like a huge chunk error, except that it can't be solved.

It's easier to move from PC to Xbox because you can just cut off a PC's unlimited world and make it an Xbox world.
Aura
Goodbye fm87 :(

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Xbox files are formatted in FATX, which is natively unreadable in windows. Fortunately, there are programs which can translate FATX formatted drives/files into FAT32, NTFS, etc.

So that is clearly not an issue.

Also, xbox maps are limited to a certain size. When you load small maps into PC Minecraft, MC expands the maps as necessary as you walk around (generates new chunks) and so again, there isn't an issue.

As far as the map files just being magically incompatible for a reason no one can explain, as the OP already said, maps are moved from PC to xbox on a regular basis; there's software to prep the map for that. If you can do it one direction, there is no reason you can't do it the other.

The only actual gripe seems to be that you're not supposed to touch xbox files, and you're not supposed to speak of such things here, which is valid. Good luck finding results elsewhere OP; your question is entirely reasonable and feasible.

jims
    jims

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

I found this on Yahoo answers:

"Ok, so you transfer the world save to a usb drive and plug it into your pc. then you go to run and type in %appdata% then go to .minecraft and go to save's then put the world save into the folder SAVES
enjoy"

DirePkz
    DirePkz

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Minecraft: D1R3Z
  • Xbox:Dire oZ

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

View Postjims, on 18 November 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

I found this on Yahoo answers:

"Ok, so you transfer the world save to a usb drive and plug it into your pc. then you go to run and type in %appdata% then go to .minecraft and go to save's then put the world save into the folder SAVES
enjoy"
That is completely and utterly wrong.

Any files saved on the Xbox are placed in a folder unreadable by Windows Explorer. As far as I know, the only way to see these is to use a program like Modio, Horzion etc. And even still, I don't think you can get Minecraft saves off the USB and onto the PC. Maybe if/when Xbox 360 starts to support unlimited size of maps, then we could see a change on this.

jamesduen

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

It is now possible possible to convert 360 worlds to PC. It is relativly straitforward. **Now, in regards to Microsofts TOS, it is NOT modifying the original save in any way. The original save remains untouched.** You can lookup the save converter on sourceforge. It does involve a few steps using Horizon. Once you open the save file, extract the savegame.dat, then use the converter. Not sure I can explain any better. It does work as I have just tried it with one of my worlds. Enjoy

UpUp_Away95

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

Just for reference, here is the exact wording in the Xbox Live TOS:

"1.9 Are there things I can’t do on the Services? You must not use the Services to harm others or the Services. For example, you must not:

[...]

Attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Services, any game, application, or other content available or accessible through the Services, or any hardware associated with the Services or with an Authorized Device. If you do, we may cancel your account and your ability to access the Services, and pursue other legal remedies. We may take any legal action we deem appropriate against users who violate our systems or network security, this Agreement or any additional terms incorporated or referenced in it. Such users may also incur criminal or civil liability."

As it is with all questions of legality, individuals may (and do) interpret things differently.  Sometimes they get away with it, sometimes they don't.  The point is... you pays your (own) money, you takes your (own) chances. Personally, I fail to see why moving a 864 x 864 block Xbox world onto the PC when it might cause compatibility issues and mutliple chunk errors would be worth the trouble.  I'd probably opt to just rebuild directly on the PC whatever I had from scratch (and improve on it in the process).. but to each his/her own.

RADIOACTIV56

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

That TOS thing says nothing about modifying user created files.
Posted Image Click on it. You know you want to.

Posted Image

UpUp_Away95

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

View PostRADIOACTIV56, on 16 January 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

That TOS thing says nothing about modifying user created files.

AGAIN, the whole agreement (as with any legal agreement) is open to interpretation.  The definitive answer really only comes IF someone presses the wording through a court of law... and even then, it's still subject to appeal.  However, I can say that using the "Joe Blow on the internet said it was OK" defense seldom works out.

You interpret that the gamesave file is "user created"; however, it might also be argued that it is the game, not the user, that generates the world initially and creates the gamesave file... that the user is then allowed (by the game itself) to rearrange the content of it.

My point is that you and you alone are responsible for the consequences of how you interpret the TOS.  You pays your own money and you take your own chances.  In discussing the merits of this thread, there is also the TOS of this website to consider (and interpret); and I believe they have clearly said that they  don't want "how to" mod discussions going on here.

coffecraft

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

It is possible. All you have to do is get <mod edit> mod tool. This isn't a very good thing to do, as it's against micosoft. So, you might not want to do it. I just saw <mod edit> video on it, so I just saw it. I also looked at <mod edit> video on it. It works as well. I hope I wasn't to late! Posted Image Have fun, and good luck.
Advertise anything inside of a minecraft server! play.coffecraft.com
Need help with your server? www.coffecraft.com You can also advertise things on the forums, or just come and chat with players!

webrosc
    webrosc

Kitty Moderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 8047 posts
  • Minecraft: webrosc

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:09 AM

View Postcoffecraft, on 18 February 2014 - 09:23 PM, said:

snip

I have edited out names due to using the tool is against Microsofts T&C's and therefore not allowed here sorry

http://rules.mcf.li/...box-360-edition

DEFCON_SHARK

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=6Eixw4Yoy2A
You should take a look at these links
http://www.xpgamesav...nvil-converter/