Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

1.6.2 Single Player Server Lag?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

doodasquash98
  • Minecraft: Doodasquash98

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

First off, I'd like to point out that this is NOT a "I H4TE 1.6 UTDATE!!!111!!!" post, I'm actually really enjoying the 1.6.2 update. However, since I updated to 1.6.2, I've been getting some odd lag on my singleplayer world. Not FPS lag, but server-side lag, such as mobs not moving and the sky stuttering. I was wondering if anybody had some ideas as to what would cause it, or even a fix, if that's at all possible.

I do, by the way, have an idea. In GenerikB's (Mindcracker, go check him out!!) latest Mindcrack video, he was causing insane server lag by attracting zombies via a trapped villager. There was no possible path to get to the villager, but the zombies still tried to path to him. This made zombies just stand somewhere, constantly trying to find a path to the villager. I think that the same thing can happen in any given singleplayer world. I live by a village, and I have some villagers trapped in a house with no entrances or exits. I believe that all the zombies trying to get to the villagers are putting a lot of stress on the server, which leads to the lag that I've been experiencing.

Please, post your ideas for lag-causers here!

One last thing: This isn't concerning FPS lag, that's just a problem with your computer that only you can fix. This is for SMP-style lag (Block lag, stuttering mobs, etc.)

Register or log in to remove.

IGravemind
  • Minecraft: IGravemind

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

I have been experiencing block lag, mob lag (they do not move correctly) and sky shuddering on the singleplayer client since the 1.6.2 update.
Whoever had the smart idea of making Minecraft SSP server orientated is an idiot. They should restore it to what it was like before the SSP was server based.
Now, without an internet connection, you cannot even play the game!
Mojang need to sort these issues out... like honestly...

I remember the days where you could play Minecraft even if your internet was down, those days are no more!

edvinoske

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

You can play without internet.
By the way I had this issue 1 single time in 1.6.2 (mobs were laggy) and restarting minecraft fixed it, also lan seems to work again for me, I opened my adventure map so my brother could help me on it, and before he couldnt connect he got errors like connection refused and similar and now it works fine, it even finds game when you press multiplayer :)

Posted Image

Princess_Garnet
  • Minecraft: Princess_Garnet

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:15 AM

View PostIGravemind, on 22 July 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

I have been experiencing block lag, mob lag (they do not move correctly) and sky shuddering on the singleplayer client since the 1.6.2 update.
Whoever had the smart idea of making Minecraft SSP server orientated is an idiot. They should restore it to what it was like before the SSP was server based.
1.6.2 wasn't what brought about this change. The change of single player to be running atop SMP mode rather than as the old SSP mode we once knew was done when 1.3.x came around.
Posted Image

Da_Slayuhh
  • Minecraft: Da_Slayuhh

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:15 AM

Yeah i'm having major server lag issues in my single player world ever since 1.6.2, block lag, mob lag, day and night cycle stuttering. I find that it's at it's worst at night time which would make sense if the zombies pathing towards villagers is the problem. I thought it was just the new launcher. I doubt there could be a "fix" for this. Just going to have to wait for Mojang to optimize/fix this issue.
Posted Image

doodasquash98
  • Minecraft: Doodasquash98

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:56 AM

I remember the days where you could play Minecraft even if your internet was down, those days are no more!
I made this post to see people's ideas as to what's causing the lag and to get any possible fixes, not for you to whine and complain about it. This isn't me trying to find everybody who has trouble with 1.6.2 server lag.

Ph0be
    Ph0be

Carpenter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Minecraft: Ph0be

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hmm, this is interesting indeed, I also have this issue. I also live in a village and have blocked all the villagers in their houses so they don't get killed by the zombies at night, so I think that the pathing thing might just be the issue here. I'm going to unblock all the doors and see if the lag goes away.

Ph0be
    Ph0be

Carpenter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Minecraft: Ph0be

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostPh0be, on 29 July 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

Hmm, this is interesting indeed, I also have this issue. I also live in a village and have blocked all the villagers in their houses so they don't get killed by the zombies at night, so I think that the pathing thing might just be the issue here. I'm going to unblock all the doors and see if the lag goes away.
Alas, the problem persists. :/

joonatan1998
  • Minecraft: joonatan1998

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

View Postdoodasquash98, on 23 July 2013 - 02:56 AM, said:

I made this post to see people's ideas as to what's causing the lag and to get any possible fixes, not for you to whine and complain about it. This isn't me trying to find everybody who has trouble with 1.6.2 server lag.
If you make thread about problem, other people will come and tell you if they have that problem too.
In post that asks for help every answer helps by keeping the thread at the top of topic list.

Tempus64
    Tempus64

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

View Postdoodasquash98, on 23 July 2013 - 02:56 AM, said:

There's a known "bug" that causes this sort of thing and it's related to the zombie pathfinding.. Well.. actually all the mob pathfinding in the game would apparently cause these issues IF they were trying to do what the zombies now do in. It apparently has to do with the zombies not being able to find a path to you/villager etc. Supposedly Dinnerbone is aware of the issue.

MurderBear
  • Minecraft: hankster112

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

View PostTempus64, on 29 July 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

There's a known "bug" that causes this sort of thing and it's related to the zombie pathfinding.. Well.. actually all the mob pathfinding in the game would apparently cause these issues IF they were trying to do what the zombies now do in. It apparently has to do with the zombies not being able to find a path to you/villager etc. Supposedly Dinnerbone is aware of the issue.
Yeah, they changed the mob pathfinding, and the engine they used for it was designed for a pathfinding that wasn't nearly as complex as the one they have now, so it puts a lot of stress on the engine, thus causing jitterlag and backlag, as I call it.

Zirak
    Zirak

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Look at your development console. It's possible that you get spammed with error messages which will cause that kind of lag

Mr.OMG
    Mr.OMG

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1758 posts
  • Minecraft: Vilperi14
  • Xbox:Sellis7

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

No, no, no and no.
1. Merging SMP and SP was the best thing for Minecrat. Now they can focus on just one code base not two. Also now we have much more multiplayer mods than ever.

2. You cannot play most of the games nowadays without an internet connection. Well if you are then you are not getting any updates or the full experience of the game. Also it requires only one time the internet connection. Just share your mobile network and problem solved. And without an internet connection how do people even download the game?
Posted Image

snipscisor
  • Minecraft: snipscisor
  • Xbox:telmur

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

it is completely unbearable for me can't break blocks. i i broke 10. 8 will reappear. Unplayable even when i turn WIFI off!!!!
Posted Image

TheNoobOfRoblox
  • Minecraft: TheNoobOfRoblox

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:42 AM

Same with me, my world wont even load now. Servers I play on are less laggier than my singleplayer world...

conner0780

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Same issue... It is terrible.
  • Cant Ride Horses
  • Blocks come back after mining
  • Mobs are laggy and "teleport"

Mr.OMG
    Mr.OMG

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1758 posts
  • Minecraft: Vilperi14
  • Xbox:Sellis7

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

I found out the problem.
https://mojang.atlas...browse/MC-17630
I locked all of my villagers inside a house and now I am getting crazy server lag at nights. It seems that it starts to lag when zombies can't get to their targets.
Posted Image

NorthernLegend
  • Minecraft: nawras856

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

I've been getting the same issue.
I've noticed it has to do a little bit about the zombie's path finding AI
The lag most likely gets tougher to endorse whenever I'm next to a village with some villagers.
At night, when zombies spawn, they go for the 10-12 villagers.
So considering that there was about 40-50 zombies in the village I was; then there were 40-50 zombies that were causing lag.

Dohid
    Dohid

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

Me and my friends have experienced the same issues that you guys posted before, on our small, private server.
Most of you are right, all lags you specified are caused by new zombies pathfinding AI. And the problem is not only in the way they move, but also in the way they communicate each other, informing their comrades about target location. If at least 1 zombie have player or villager in a lane of sight, he starts to inform every zombie in neighbourhood about you. Each informed zombie starts to inform every other zombie and that happens over and over again. That makes server code mad and console to melt. We've also tested this with other mobs and animals. Any of them wasn`t soo hostile to the server engine like zombies. It doesn`t matter if zombies are attracted by player or villager, it generates the same problem, so playing without villagers will not solve the issue. Unfortunetly, for now there is no good solution to this problem, it is a malfunction of 1.6.2 server code. It supposed to be a feature that generates nice "zombie apocalypse" zergs like in the movies. The idea is great, but scripts need to be fixed.

While waiting to an official solution, to make our Minecraft Server playable, I`ve disabled mobs respawn. In server.properties change value to "spawn-monsters=false". It is still difficulty=3 (Hard), so you recive normal amount of damage. Dungeons are operational, same as mob grinders based on them, so it doesn`t affect gameplay so much. You can also spawn monsters manually using monster eggs.
This affected gameplay a little bit, but made a server playable, temporary solving the issue. No lags anymore, expect of your presence near zombie dungeon.

For single players. You can do this trick on your own for example by running Minecraft_Server.exe on your computer. Then copy your save from .minecraft dir to server dir, edit server.properties with name of your save and settings you wish to have, then play "Multiplayer" via localhost 127.0.0.1.

Or play "Peaceful" :)

I'll be looking forward for any better solution and let you know if I find one.

Jackalmen
    Jackalmen

Diamond Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 889 posts
  • Minecraft: Jackalmen

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hey all,

Seems to be a bug as so many people are complaining of path-finding of zombies.  If any of you want this fixed quicker, this bug report should get an upvote from you!

https://mojang.atlas...browse/MC-17630

~Jack

Posted Image