Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Mob spawner not working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

QueenOfPenguin

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

So i followed this video.

I built up to 200 Y and i started building up to 223 for the spawning pads.  After i was do, i went back to y 200 where i built the collection for xp and waited for mobs.  No mobs spawned.  I even lighted up the area a bit.  Anyone know the problem?  Thank you!

EDIT: im in a SMP server!

Register or log in to remove.

MazeCraft
    MazeCraft

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2447 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

Mobs can spawn not closer than 24 blocks away from you. Move your AFK platform lower.
My best creations posted on the forum http://dl.dropbox.co...Craft_Stuff.htm

QueenOfPenguin

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

View PostMazeCraft, on 17 July 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

Mobs can spawn not closer than 24 blocks away from you. Move your AFK platform lower.
Ill try that.  Thanks!

QueenOfPenguin

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

No mobs spawning, im at 203 y and the spawning pads are at 228.  Im 25 blocks away now and still no mobs. ):

QueenOfPenguin

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

Any help would be appreciated!

Malacodor
    Malacodor

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1022 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

Are you sure that it is completely dark in your spawner?

QueenOfPenguin

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostMalacodor, on 17 July 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

Are you sure that it is completely dark in your spawner?

Yes.

MazeCraft
    MazeCraft

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2447 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

Is it a multiplayer server? I assume it is as you made a topic about it a couple of days ago.
Such spawners work worse in multiplayer comparing to single player.
Check the main spawn chunks of the world if there are any hostile mobs not despawning, like named creepers, zombies holding items etc. Because spawn chunks are always loaded, mobs in there count to the total mobs cap and may decrease spawning rate in other areas (at least it works like this in singleplayer mode). Maybe someone has a dungeon based exp farm within spawn chunks?

Your spawner isn't by a chance in a mooshroom biome?

QueenOfPenguin

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostMazeCraft, on 17 July 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

Is it a multiplayer server? I assume it is as you made a topic about it a couple of days ago.
Such spawners work worse in multiplayer comparing to single player.
Check the main spawn chunks of the world if there are any hostile mobs not despawning, like named creepers, zombies holding items etc. Because spawn chunks are always loaded, mobs in there count to the total mobs cap and may decrease spawning rate in other areas (at least it works like this in singleplayer mode). Maybe someone has a dungeon based exp farm within spawn chunks?

Your spawner isn't by a chance in a mooshroom biome?

Well, i do have a exp farm dungeon for zombies.  It's underground though.  Would that affect it?

View PostQueenOfPenguin, on 17 July 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

Well, i do have a exp farm dungeon for zombies.  It's underground though.  Would that affect it?

And it's near this xp farm.  Same area except this one is higher and the xp farm i have from dungeon is at like y:17

MazeCraft
    MazeCraft

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2447 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

When your exp farm has no mobs it won't affect the floating spawner.
The spawn chunks I mentioned is the area around the place where you spawned during creating the world and where you respawn every time you die without any valid bed. The area is, I believe, 17x17 chunks centered on the chunk you spawned for the first time in the world. It is always loaded and some mobs may stay there if named or holding items.