Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

changing default .minecraft folder location on linux

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Garonenur

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

Hi,

I would like to change the default location of my .minecraft folder, which is usualy $HOME (~). If I start the current laucher, I can have different Folders for different profiles, but these are only used for savegames I think?

I want to play on a machine were the $HOME-folder is residing in the network on a file server and per user space in /home is restricted. I can use the machines local disk and there is space a plenty.

Any ideas?

Register or log in to remove.

gerbil
    gerbil

Support Guru

• Members
  • 4917 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

Create a symlink

mv ~/.minecraft /some/other/place   # only works if your mv automatically copies across filesystems
ln -s /some/other/place ~/.minecraft

Garonenur

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

thank you,

I was already assuming I would have to use links. Than I only have do create the link before I install it, because the server with all the /home folders at my workplace would possibly be overwhelmed by the installation (sigh, don't ask - complaining to our admins is not helping)

gerbil
    gerbil

Support Guru

• Members
  • 4917 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

there's another way supposedly, that depends on passing parameters to java on the command line, but I don't know if the launcher would then pass that same 'environment' to the game as well.   The symlink will work for both no matter what.