• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

iTimmeh
    iTimmeh

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:54 AM

I have 8 gigs of RAM in my computer (MBP), and Minecraft only allocates 510 MB. Is there a way to increase it?

Register or log in to remove.

lolwut0
    lolwut0

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:00 PM

Notch said once on Twitter that low levels of allocated memory are fine and you shouldn't worry.

Also, i think you have only 3.X GB of RAM.
Posted Image

KaitoCain
    KaitoCain

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:02 AM

Hate to Necro a post, but I would like to know if you can allocate more ram.  I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 and it bothers me kinda that as the allocated memory nears 100% it starts lagging a bit more, so I want to let it use more ram ya know?
“Take the first step, and your mind will mobilize all its forces to your aid. But the first essential is that you begin. Once the battle is startled, all that is within and without you will come to your assistance.” ~ Robert Collier

MadJack
    MadJack

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Minecraft: TheMadJack

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:44 AM

There's no way of doing that afaik.
-= Please, NO contact via PM for technical support. =-

Evalora
    Evalora

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:02 AM

Er.. you don't need to give it more ram, the hell's the matter with you people. If the program needs ram, it'll automatically have it assigned to it. As its needs increase, so too does the ram used. Adding in what's not presently needed does nothing!

Crazy people.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image MMMMANY 100'S.

ChibiSoma

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:33 PM

Yeah, no it doesn't. Because the Alpha is currently only using 92MB of memory and it's choppy as hell for me.

That would be 100% of what it claims is allocated to it. So yes, you need a way to allocate more.

Evalora
    Evalora

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:21 AM

Either you don't have enough to give it, or it doesn't need it. RAM is not some magic resource you give to programs, they take what they need.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image MMMMANY 100'S.

axeblade346

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:56 AM

I am Sorry about bumbing an old post but we found out HOW to allocate more ram and would just like to share.
http://www.minecraft...=863749#p863749
It is in Post 4

score_under

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

Axeblade346: Listen to this person, they know what they're talking about:

Evalora said:

Er.. you don't need to give it more ram, the hell's the matter with you people. If the program needs ram, it'll automatically have it assigned to it. As its needs increase, so too does the ram used. Adding in what's not presently needed does nothing!

Crazy people.

Evalora said:

Either you don't have enough to give it, or it doesn't need it. RAM is not some magic resource you give to programs, they take what they need.

All you're doing by forcing RAM allocation is taking away RAM from programs that are actually using it, and giving it to Minecraft before it even has any use for it.

Programs won't work at all if they allocate too little RAM, and they don't get any faster if they allocate too much.

What does speed up a program, however, is buying more RAM if a program exceeds your total RAM size in allocated memory (which is extremely rare). Most people here sound like they need a new processor or a faster graphics card anyway.

axeblade346

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:13 AM

I totaly Agree with the qouted person, The problem I got and Fixed with this is Minecraft Crashing DUE to it not starting with enough ram for HD textutres on a PC with 8GB of Ram (Linux-Java told me Out of Ram for function)
So it fixed it in linux and ported it to Windows.

So Yes more RAM is the Best option but it won`t help if MC don't use it at startup.

--- Looking at Notch's code tells me he can fix this by checking file sizes before first renderer and not by upping ram size during it ---

JabronieMan

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:47 AM

Actually Java applications have a maximum amount of RAM that the Java virtual machine will allow them to allocate, so just because you have RAM doesn't mean Minecraft can use it.  This is why the Linux instructions say run with -Xmx1024M -Xms512M  options.  -Xmx specifies the maximum amount of RAM allowed, 1GB in this case and -Xms specifies the starting amount of RAM which is 512M.  Unfortunately the .exe obfuscates this information from us so you can't bump it to 2048M or 4096M if you wish like you could on a Linux box.

okal
    okal

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3497 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:43 AM

Use the .jar as the Linux users do, then you can do this on Windows.

For 2048MB or more you need the 64-bit Java version though, and enough RAM ofc! ^_^
eg: "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xmx2048M -Xms1024M -jar "D:\Games\minecraft.jar"

Edit: As this has been necro'd I just want to point out you can use Minecraft.exe instead of minecraft.jar (I didn't know that 7 months ago :))

Edited by epikal, 06 September 2011 - 07:15 PM.

psmith67
    psmith67

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:21 AM

JabronieMan said:

Actually Java applications have a maximum amount of RAM that the Java virtual machine will allow them to allocate, so just because you have RAM doesn't mean Minecraft can use it.  This is why the Linux instructions say run with -Xmx1024M -Xms512M  options.  -Xmx specifies the maximum amount of RAM allowed, 1GB in this case and -Xms specifies the starting amount of RAM which is 512M.  Unfortunately the .exe obfuscates this information from us so you can't bump it to 2048M or 4096M if you wish like you could on a Linux box.

THANK YOU for clearing that up.  Others posting on this thread seem to think that allocating more memory to minecraft won't make a difference.  Yes the program will only use what it needs but if there is a 512 cap, Minecraft will EASILY use that and then some.  So allocating more will cause less lag and a more steady fps.

Xaatir
    Xaatir

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:35 PM

look...how do i do it? im having the same problem as axeblade, and I have a whole terabyte of ram!

destroyer7d9

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

Xaatir, unless you have some freaking super computer, I doubt you have a terabyte of RAM. You might have that much memory on your computer, but a terabyte of RAM is plain ridiculous haha. That being said, I too would like to know exactly how to allocate more RAM to minecraft because I just downloaded a photo-realistic texture pack for minecraft and it crashes, stating it does not have enough memory.

Malefactor2000

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:36 AM

I DO have 12 Gigs of RAM, and capable of 24 on this machine... My Video Memory ALONE exceeds 4 Gigs... So, how do i allocate more RAM to multiplayer server??? because i keep running out, and there's NO way my machine should run out of ram.

Jerri
    Jerri

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Minecraft: JerriCop

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:02 AM

View PostEvalora, on 25 August 2010 - 06:02 AM, said:

Crazy people.

This man is that answer, HOWEVER your RAM is just a part of your story, the processor matters too, which processor do you have?

Did I help you?50% of all funds will go

Please Posted Image to a random plugin author

mumblerit
    mumblerit

Coal Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 101 posts
  • Minecraft: mumblerit

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

http://muttsworldmin...y-to-minecraft/

try this !

r3sistance

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

Why has this been necroed so many times? epikal already gave a suitable answer in my opinion. the -Xmx option sets the Maximum heap size which is what is most important number here. -Xms is initial heap size, if you're expecting to be using a lot from the get go, you need to increase this. Naturally -Xms has to be lower then -Xmx.

View PostEvalora, on 25 August 2010 - 06:02 AM, said:

Crazy people.

Old but horribly wrong, based on a misunderstanding of how Java apps work, Java apps have a maximum heap size that they will not exceed no matter; if they need more RAM or not. Hitting 100% will very potentially crash the game as it'll hit an out of memory error even if there is RAM to spare.

okal
    okal

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3497 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:23 PM

View Postmumblerit, on 06 September 2011 - 03:32 PM, said:

Just to add to what r3sistance has said your link contains bad information.
The poster has got all of his examples wrong about memory allocations which will lead to issues.

eg:

I want to allocate 2GB RAM
javaw -Xmx4096m -Xms2048m -jar "C:\<your minecraft directory\Minecraft.exe"
This actually allocates a max heap of 4096m == 4GB RAM.

If you are going to necro bump with a link to your mates website, at least make sure the information is correct.