Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Savegames not bound to version?

launcher save 1.6.2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

sheepstack

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Using the new 1.6.2-laucher I made two new version besides Default. "Forge" and "1.6.2." (which obviously is not intended to be updated later on.)

But when I start a new game on one of these versions, the exact same savegame also shows up when loading a different version?

If I may ask: Is that intended? I was under the impression, the new lauchner was specificially designed to allow parallel Minecraft-versions and savegames???

(The new version were created following an instruction video and I double checked everything.)

Some help rly is appreciated!
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

FlamingAmazingGaming

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

I'm not sure what your asking.
The saves are meant to be unbound to the versions so that they are compatible when the next update is released.
The saves are only made compatible once you launch the world on the new version.
Posted Image

sheepstack

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

Ok, let me try to get that straight. (I´m sry if some of my expressions don´t fit: no native speaker/writer).

Let´s assume I start a new game in version "Default". No mods whatsoever, terrain is generated, I build something, then save the game.

Now I start the launcher again and this time chose version "Mod xy", with integrates some new blocks for example. Suddenly I find the savegame, created 5 minutes ago. I can load it, play with the new mod?

Is that intended? But what is going to happen, when I load this savegame in "default" after that? Modded blocks gone? Or does that savegame get "split up" in two different versions?

I hope you understand what I´m trying to figure out...
Posted Image

FlamingAmazingGaming

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

Yes, a display message will popup telling you there are missing entities and it will ask you if you would like to continue.
The mod won't work if you load the default, you will have to keep the mod downloaded for it to continue to work. That is all.
Posted Image

jtank4
    jtank4

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • Minecraft: jtank4

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

View Postsheepstack, on 11 July 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

Ok, let me try to get that straight. (I´m sry if some of my expressions don´t fit: no native speaker/writer).

Let´s assume I start a new game in version "Default". No mods whatsoever, terrain is generated, I build something, then save the game.

Now I start the launcher again and this time chose version "Mod xy", with integrates some new blocks for example. Suddenly I find the savegame, created 5 minutes ago. I can load it, play with the new mod?

Is that intended? But what is going to happen, when I load this savegame in "default" after that? Modded blocks gone? Or does that savegame get "split up" in two different versions?

I hope you understand what I´m trying to figure out...

I do see what you're asking, and I'm sure that the save won't split into two versions. It really should have been a feature of the launcher to make separate save folders for separate versions but it does not, for now. You'll need to just keep worlds clearly labeled and use the correct ones for the correct versions. If you do want something that will make separate folders, I think you should try out the magic launcher, but I don't think it works with 1.6 as of yet.

Minecraft tutorials, programming, let's plays! You name it, I'll make it!

Check out my Youtube channel here!

sheepstack

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

Thanks to you both! Posted Image

I honestly can´t understand why the developers don´t integrate that kind of feature right away? I mean, seriously, come on! Savegames bound to special versions surely are not difficult to integrate. But we get...haystacks. *calming down*

Thanks for pointing out that magic launcher. I will have a look now and hope for an update (both for magic launcher and the lesser magic launcher).

Posted Image
Posted Image

FlamingAmazingGaming

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

If you want, you can explain your post in German and I could try to better help you that way.
I still feel like your question may be a bit different than what you're trying to explain.
Posted Image

jtank4
    jtank4

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • Minecraft: jtank4

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

Actually, just saw their thread, it does in fact work for 1.6.1 now. Here's the link.

Minecraft tutorials, programming, let's plays! You name it, I'll make it!

Check out my Youtube channel here!

gerbil
    gerbil

Support Guru

• Members
  • 4924 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

The new launcher does exactly what you want it do.  You just have to TELL IT.

In the profile editor pop up  is a check box labeled "Game Directory".   If you give each profile a different Game Directory, you will have your saves separately stored.