• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

sirMAXX
    sirMAXX

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

The controls are horrible, it's not intuitive like it was before and using them for their purpose to simple get from point 'a' to point 'b', across water, quickly, is not enjoyable. I really wish the controls would be reverted back to the previous version. Especially it is an issue when you're spending time playing on a PvP heavy server. There is enough problems to worry about and an addition to that I don't need is getting killed because of lousy boat controls.

Register or log in to remove.

Quisk_
    Quisk_

Carpenter

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

I'm with you, the new mechanics sucks

PaulthePhilosopher
  • Minecraft: Growler14

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

I concur with this conclusion.

I fail to understand what problem was being solved by, or improvement sought by the implementation of new boat controls.  The new controls are an ill-conceived detriment to travel by rivers, with no compensating advantage to any other aspect of using boats.

benextreme

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

Only having to use the forward button and the mouse is bad enough, but the fact that you cant turn left or right without going forward is just complete crap ­! What would be nice is a button in the options that toggles using the mouse or the arrow keys (perhaps even both at the same time aswell)

GerbilCrab475

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

What's with Mojang and breaking things in this update?

Posted Image
^Not many of these potions can actually be made in vanilla Minecraft! Support the missing potions today! ^

Jsan
    Jsan

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

And that's my cue to mod the old controls back into existence.

Posted Image
Posted Image

14Matthew

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

The Boat Controls could be better.

You cannot turn easily at all- you need to be going at a speed to turn, and that's hard to do while trying to maneuver through thin areas such as lakes or a dock. When turning at the high speeds, you cant look at where you are going- u look sideways to change the direction of the boat.

Mojang please change this.

Gnardak
    Gnardak

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

I think the problem is that they unified the control system for boats and horses when they added horses.

The control system for is forward, backward(slowly) and strafe(slowly) which is good for horses. For boats they decided that strafe makes no sense(which it doesn't) so for boats they changed the value of (slowly) to (not at all) and hey presto we have the absolutely terrible control scheme we currently have for boats.

For boats they really need to turn strafe back into steer and reinstate the value of (slowly).

Grolimo
    Grolimo

Carpenter

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

View Post14Matthew, on 15 July 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

You cannot turn easily at all- you need to be going at a speed to turn, and that's hard to do while trying to maneuver through thin areas such as lakes or a dock.

Oh, they made it realistic, like a real boat?

Nice, now a conversion to native c/c++ code and a new, 3D graphics engine and i can play pirate in a good looking virtual Minecraft World :)..

Jetra
    Jetra

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2159 posts
  • Minecraft: Jetra

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

I like the new boat controls. Granted, it has a bit of a learning curve, but I prefer this than the old way which made you act like a 100-tonne tank in the water. If they could just tighten it a bit, that would be great in my opinion.

Posted Image

Barberetti

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostGrolimo, on 16 July 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

Nope. Real boats can be turned at pretty much any speed. Also, they don't turn when you look left or right.

Gnardak
    Gnardak

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

Not really. It might be more realistic if you think that a boat in minecraft is powered by an outboard motor strapped to the back of your head instead of to the boat. But since you don't use any iron, redstone or anything that you would conceivably need for an outboard motor to make a boat I presumed not.

I'd take a pair of oars, which is more realistic for minecraft and means you should be able to turn on the spot(slowly), over the outboard motor control scheme any day.

Paradox095

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:41 AM

I would have to say the I like the old controls better as I could turn and maneuver much better but now I can only turn when I look in that direction while moving. It's kind of annoying when I have to back up my boat or even break it because I cant turn.

Flameofice
    Flameofice

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1130 posts
  • Minecraft: Flameofice

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:35 AM

I love how "it's realistic" is always used to justify crap design.

Sure, spending 2 hours to make a stone pick is annoying as hell, as well as tripping over for stupid reasons when running, being unable to retreat when you're injured, and unavoidably dying from diseases you're too primitive to cure, but it makes the game realistic, so it's okay the the game is literally unplayable.
"Science isn't a matter of WHY, it's a matter of WHY NOT? WHY is so much of our science dangerous? Why don't you marry safe science if you love it so much? In fact, why don't you invent a special safety door that won't slam you in the butt on your way out? BECAUSE YOU ARE FIRED!" -Cave Johnson

Grolimo
    Grolimo

Carpenter

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostFlameofice, on 17 July 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:

s always used to justify crap design.

It is always funny when people that are against any form of change and unwilling to learn new things always classify everything anyone else say as crap or crap design.
It's new, learn to play with it. It's not unplayable, it's just different.

gamergeek84
  • Minecraft: gamergeek84

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

View PostGrolimo, on 17 July 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

It is always funny when people that are against any form of change and unwilling to learn new things always classify everything anyone else say as crap or crap design.

It's a step backwards from the previous controls. They removed the ability to both brake and look around while in the boat. In addition the removal of A + D for precision turning make it extremely difficult to navigate a narrow river or a swamp littered with lilypads. Which, if boats weren't so ridiculously fragile, wouldn't be as large of an issue. But they literally only took things away in regards to boats, they added nothing.

MorpheusZero
  • Minecraft: MorpheusZero

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

LOL This guy...

I wish they'd revert the controls too.

Check Out Mods by MorpheusZero for MC 1.6.4!

Barberetti

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

Yeah, the people who exist only in your head. Here in the real world, people are generally happy when changes that are made to things are improvements, and not so happy when they aren't. Facing backwards and pressing the forward key to stop a boat isn't an improvement, or even on par with the old controls. It's a step backwards. It is crap design. And that doesn't even touch on steering the effing things now.

JLC5087
    JLC5087

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 815 posts
  • Minecraft: JLC5087

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

What I don't get is that you can use mouse controls on the boat but not the horse... The boat made sense but with the horse it kinda sucks because the only way you can look in a certain direction is by turning the whole horse to its side. If anything the boat controls should be reverted and the horse controls should be able to use the WASD to move while being able to look around. I REALLY hope they fix this. So for now, I'd rather just use the Archimede's Ship Mod.
Posted Image

Blockothy
  • Minecraft: blockothy

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

Yeah, the boat controls suck. plus I keep crashing my boat into nothing, and sometimes when I get out of my boat, I pop up 10 blocks further away from my boat, then when I try to get back in it, it wont let me, I have to get off my game then get back on, then my boat pops up at a different area, but its enterable.