• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

light switches

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

b2bomber

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:29 AM

Anyone else thought of making your house with functional light switches? I think that would be awesome!

I have no experience using red stone and would like to see some peoples ideas on how to implement light switches into their homes!

Thoughts?

Register or log in to remove.

BCPowers
  • Minecraft: BCPowers

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:30 AM

It's not really hard to implement but redstone light is so dull.
MOD EDIT: Saying this is unnecessary and rude. If people are willing to discuss it, let them discuss it. There's a whole wide world of other topics you could explore and contribute to that you might even be interested in! How exciting!
Fav Mod Edit Eva

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:38 AM

BCPowers said:

It's not really hard to implement but redstone light is so dull.

To add to this comment, redstone torches only emit a light level of 7 which is not enough to light to stop mob spawning.  They are best used as decorative or strobe type lighting and not any practical lighting solution.
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:39 AM

For example this:
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

Ddawg97
    Ddawg97

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:40 AM

maybe lanterns will have on/off features.

OH OH, and maybe they'll be weildable.

NIGHT TIME FOREST EXPLORING GO!!!
Posted Image

b2bomber

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:42 AM

Oh so you couldnt use like a button to turn on regular torches?

Fidget98160
  • Minecraft: Fidget98160

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:43 AM

b2bomber said:

Nope. There's a quirk to lava that lets you make it flow differently, but that doesn't turn off, it just turns on, basically.
Posted Image

Ddawg97
    Ddawg97

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:43 AM

b2bomber said:

*facepalm*
Posted Image

berky93
    berky93

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:46 AM

Have lights recessed into the walls, with doors in front of them hooked up to redstone. Maybe that would work. I'm gonna go try this now, results soon.

b2bomber

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:48 AM

Ddawg97 said:

b2bomber said:

*facepalm*

Ive played the game twice.

Everyone else thanks.

Hopefully you get good results :)

agentjwall

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:50 AM

Ddawg97 said:

I agree their needs to be a more powerful red stone-based light (preferably with a significan ammount of power and not just torch level light. the only problem with light switches though is that mobs would start to spawn unless you had it on peacefull and that's No Fun(hard 24/7 FTW!)...

But then again, think of the practical applications! have the lights rigged to a secret button and after one hit...

BOOM! instant mob security force to kill any intruders.

then again creepers could be a problem... ^^'
Posted Image

jbear0000

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:51 AM

berky93 said:

Have lights recessed into the walls, with doors in front of them hooked up to redstone. Maybe that would work. I'm gonna go try this now, results soon.

I was thinking the same thing, I am going to try it too.

Kwickgamer said:

Someone needs to sig this. xD

Fidget98160
  • Minecraft: Fidget98160

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:51 AM

agentjwall said:

Ddawg97 said:

I agree their needs to be a more powerful red stone-based light (preferably with a significan ammount of power and not just torch level light. the only problem with light switches though is that mobs would start to spawn unless you had it on peacefull and that's No Fun(hard 24/7 FTW!)...

But then again, think of the practical applications! have the lights rigged to a secret button and after one hit...

BOOM! instant mob security force to kill any intruders.

then again creepers could be a problem... ^^'
Obsidian platforms, water at the bottom (creepers in water don't blow up the room)
Posted Image

Judasremains

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:58 AM

jbear0000 said:

berky93 said:

Doors don't block light at all, sorry.
My Grandmother passed away on Sunday, the 7th of August, 2011. I am taking an extended leave of absence in light of this. My apologies.

punchin
    punchin

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1159 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:59 AM

There are mods that allow you to operate normal torches with redstone. Not sure if you want to get into modding or not, but it's an idea. If you want help with wiring schematics, reply here and one of us can draw some up for ya.

Also, if you want to toggle the lights with a button, there is a circuit that will allow you to do that. It's MF'ing huge and complicated, though. Best to just use a lever.
If you think the title and OP tells you everything you want to know about a thread, don't reply. If you want to actually read the thread and post an intelligent reply, you're welcome to it.

b2bomber

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:05 AM

Ya, I bet its not worth the hassle to do anyway. I thought it might be cool, come home from a mine and switch the lights on :SSSS:

Skyshark_

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:12 AM

I thought of a really inefficient and ugly way of doing it. There could be doors in the sides of the wall that all open when you flick a lever, letting light from a torch come through. I know, it's really crappy, but maybe it can spark an idea?

EDIT: Derp, didn't see, someone already posted this.

BiH_Kira
    BiH_Kira

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • Minecraft: BiH_Kira

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:17 AM

jbear0000 said:

berky93 said:

Not working.
Just tested it out.
Doors let light go trough even when closed.

punchin said:

There are mods that allow you to operate normal torches with redstone. Not sure if you want to get into modding or not, but it's an idea. If you want help with wiring schematics, reply here and one of us can draw some up for ya.

Also, if you want to toggle the lights with a button, there is a circuit that will allow you to do that. It's MF'ing huge and complicated, though. Best to just use a lever.
Could you send a link to the mod.
Kinda hard to fine it on the mod forum. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Nathan_BS

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:18 AM

I would like to see redstone activated lanterns
Posted Image

assassin10

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:19 AM

halfstep floors ftw
The Sun rises in the North!
Now these points of data make a beautiful line...