Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How to make sounds in resource packs.

sounds in resource packs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Puredarkness

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

I haven't seen this in this section before, so here is a tutorial.

You will need:

Spoiler:
lets get started shall we?

1. inside resource packs, create a new folder with the EXACT name you want your resource pack to be called.

2. Inside, make the following things- a png (it is what the resource pack's image looks like in the pack selection screen and can be whatever you want), a folder called 'assets', and a file called 'pack.mcmeta' in something like notepad.

3. in the pack.mcmeta file, put the following text:

Spoiler:

all on the first line of the file. you can change the 'Pack description here.' part to whatever you want the description for the pack to be, but keep the speech marks. save this in the resource pack folder with your resource pack (if you know what I mean) as 'pack.mcmeta' EXACTLY (only without the quotes).

4. inside the assets folder you made, make a folder called 'minecraft'. in the minecraft folder that you just made, make the following folders for the sounds. you don't have to make all of them, just the ones where in the original assets folder the sounds you are replacing are found.

here is a full list:

Spoiler:

5. to change a sound, you need to effectively mirror the sound's 'location' (file it's in) in the resource pack's assets minecraft folder. for example, if you wanted to change the record 13's song, you would

Spoiler:

you can add textures, but this is for sounds.

hope this helped!

if it's complicated, let me know, and I'll try to explain it.

Oh and last note, if this is the wrong section, feel free to move it to the appropriate location. this IS a new section after all.
The Darkness will win one day, and light's time being the winner is nearing it's end. Because light is overrated.
People, the Modification Development section is for MODS, not Bukkit plugins. Do not be surpised if you don't get any help from there.
Spoiler: Random fact

Register or log in to remove.

iMalo
    iMalo

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Tools:
Download youtube sounds: http://www.youtube-mp3.org/
Cut out parts of the .mp3 here: http://cut-mp3.com/
.mp3 to .ogg converter: http://media.io/

All Online, and very easy to use.

Posted Image

Puredarkness

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

View PostiMalo, on 07 July 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

.mp3 to .ogg converter: http://media.io/

Online, and very easy to use.

don't forget Audacity, and you can add last minute edits before you convert. but to do converting into .oggs, you need to download FFMPEG and LAME. there's a tutorial.
The Darkness will win one day, and light's time being the winner is nearing it's end. Because light is overrated.
People, the Modification Development section is for MODS, not Bukkit plugins. Do not be surpised if you don't get any help from there.

Flucami
    Flucami

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Minecraft: CyberCracker3000

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

I have 2 questions to try and fix my confusion.

Can you add your own custom sounds such as (voice for people talking in RPG's) etc... without replacing the minecraft records?

Also if you can do the above, Obviously you will have no way of activating it within game apart from command blocks. How do you do that bit?

Puredarkness

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostFlucami, on 11 July 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

I have 2 questions to try and fix my confusion.

Can you add your own custom sounds such as (voice for people talking in RPG's) etc... without replacing the minecraft records?

Also if you can do the above, Obviously you will have no way of activating it within game apart from command blocks. How do you do that bit?

1) yes, you can. Just replace the name of your custom sound to the name of any sound in the assets folder in .minecraft. just make sure it's in the right folders! (didn't entirely understand the question, no offense.)
If you use playsound (it's a bit complicated) you can even have sounds not named as already existing sounds. (eg. sandstorm sound can still be played in minecraft without changing anything)

2.  you can look up the command (/playsound) on the wiki if it's there. once you've figured it out though, you can have any sound in minecraft! it does have complicated stuff, and I have yet to figure it out myself.

Flucami
    Flucami

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

View PostPuredarkness, on 12 July 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

1) yes, you can. Just replace the name of your custom sound to the name of any sound in the assets folder in .minecraft. just make sure it's in the right folders! (didn't entirely understand the question, no offense.)
If you use playsound (it's a bit complicated) you can even have sounds not named as already existing sounds. (eg. sandstorm sound can still be played in minecraft without changing anything)

2.  you can look up the command (/playsound) on the wiki if it's there. once you've figured it out though, you can have any sound in minecraft! it does have complicated stuff, and I have yet to figure it out myself.

My first question was relating to adding sound files and not replacing any current sound files within minecraft. Where would you put them in a resource pack? Thanks :)

SCHRUTEBEETS

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

To create your own sounds just create a new folder and put them in it... If your doing it for a RPG maybe you'll name the folder RPG... And maybe a villager will be talking so you could name the file villager1...

To here it type /playsound RPG.villager1 @p

I hope thats right...
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8lvSvBD.png[/IMG]

UnresolvedGamer
  • Minecraft: Gregku
  • PSN:ThaReelSnake

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostSCHRUTEBEETS, on 13 July 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

To create your own sounds just create a new folder and put them in it... If your doing it for a RPG maybe you'll name the folder RPG... And maybe a villager will be talking so you could name the file villager1...

To here it type /playsound RPG.villager1 @p

I hope thats right...

That's a useful tip, thanks.

I used to have a nice signature.

Now it's mostly text.

Posted Image

Flucami
    Flucami

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostUnresolvedGamer, on 15 July 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

That's a useful tip, thanks.

Unfortunately it does not work like that with resource packs. They have not implemented a custom sound feature outside of replacing current sound files, To do it. You must also put the sounds within the actual minecraft sound files in the .minecraft folder aswell as the resource pack :)

Puredarkness

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

View PostFlucami, on 13 July 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

My first question was relating to adding sound files and not replacing any current sound files within minecraft. Where would you put them in a resource pack? Thanks Posted Image

Probably anywhere in assets or sounds. I am not entirely sure to be honestPosted Image. It only works with /playsound though. it won't appear from ingame soundtrack unless you modded it.

Flucami
    Flucami

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostPuredarkness, on 20 July 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

Probably anywhere in assets or sounds. I am not entirely sure to be honestPosted Image. It only works with /playsound though. it won't appear from ingame soundtrack unless you modded it.

Doesn't matter now I found out the answer for myself. Sounds which you add to a resource pack that aren't to place existing minecraft sounds will not work unless you put the sounds inside minecrafts sound folder aswell as in the sound file in the resource pack :)

Thanks anyway

sprinklelps

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

i have an issue. when ever i change a record into my own song it resets back to the original minecraft one.

Prime_Jetspace
  • Minecraft: Prime_Jetspace

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

View Postsprinklelps, on 31 August 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

i have an issue. when ever i change a record into my own song it resets back to the original minecraft one.

Are you putting it in Roaming > .minecraft > assets?
And are you turning on the Resource Pack in-game?

Posted Image

This mod deserves every byte of support it gets.

WaningLight

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Just a tip for people who had the same problem as I had: The "sound" folder is now "sounds" instead.

miner_films
  • Minecraft: miner_films

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

um? is this supposed to happen? i'm not getting any sound when i put the disc in
[url="http://www.minecraft...-little-brony/"][img]http://i.imgur.com/1yyTw.png[/img][/url]