Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

YAMS - Easiest way to run Minecraft server in Windows [0.9.0]

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

bigolslabomeat

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

Hello all,

Running Minecraft 24/7 at the moment either requires fiddling with things some people shouldn't be fiddling with, losing any console access or setting your machine to automatically log in and run one of the many wrappers around.  I wanted Minecraft to run as a Windows service so it was always on, didn't need anyone to log into the machine and kept itself up to date.

So I am making "Yet Another Minecraft Server"

Current State:
The core features of YAMS are:

• Installer which includes downloading latest Minecraft server
  • Runs itself as a Windows service
  • Opens firewall ports automatically and closes them again when not needed
  • If UPnP router is available, will try and forward ports
  • Includes free yams.in dynamic DNS so your players don't need to know your IP
  • Detects a Minecraft server crash and automatically restarts
  • Runs multiple Minecraft servers within it's service, no need to log on and start manually
  • Checks dependencies on install and guides through installing any requirements
  • Provides admin web interface for sending console commands and splits chat messages out
  • Right-click menu for easily managing players
  • Logs everything to a database
  • Back up your servers to your own schedule with the job engine
  • Map your server on demand and to a schedule with Overviewer
  • Generate images of your server with c10t
  • Serve the output of renders on a built-in webserver
  • Can run Vanilla, Bukkit or the weekly snapshots.
Latest Version:

Spoiler:

More Information:
Documentation is being expanded upon as and is contained on the GitHub wiki for the project

See the planned features page for what is nearly, will, may and will never be included in YAMS.  Also keep an eye on the version history for what's released and what's upcoming.

Installation Video

Wanna try?
There is a setup build on the website, there is a small issue in the dependencies checker where if you don't have Java installed, you can't run the Java installer until you have finished YAMS setup, just click continue and install Java afterwards.  This is only because MS's setup packager doesn't seem to allow you to run a program after install, only during.  I will repackage the setup with InstallShield when I have time.

TL;DR - Simple way to run your own server and share it with your friends.
Yet Another Minecraft Server: http://yams.in
Easiest way to run a Minecraft server on Windows!

Register or log in to remove.

sparqy
    sparqy

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:15 AM

I'd love to give it a shot.  Win7 64 here, and I had no luck at all with the yajsw method...

Thanks!

ChrisQuestionMark

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:33 AM

I would be very interested in testing this out! I have mine currently running as a service with SRVANY, but as you mentioned, you lose console access. It looks like you're incorporating some really cool features!

I completely agree with your thoughts on anonymous usage data (anonymous and optional = good). I would have no problem enabling that.

bigolslabomeat

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

Sorry, missed these replies! (Damn forums not sending me subscription emails.....)

Work on YAMS continues, but I've not been well so stopped halfway through a UI overhaul which is holding back pushing new builds.  My server also blew a hole in itself so I needed to move the software elsewhere which required some additional features being programmed in (namely the ability to move the sever storage directory). I've uploaded a setup build to the github (https://github.com/r.../YAMS/downloads), this should never change as the first time it runs it will head off and get the latest "live" versions of any components.

This should extract itself and install any dependencies your system needs.  Depending how mission critical your server is, I would suggest switching to the development branch to get the latest features.  The live branch will essentially give you console access through a web browser, there's a lot more in the background but no front-end for it all yet.

In your start menu will be a link to the admin interface's default port and the configuration app.

Let me know your experiences, and thanks for trying out!

Edit: Documentation fail: the default username for the admin panel is "admin" and the password you set during the install.  This will be changeable in the future and you can reset the password in the configuration app included.

dahlgren
    dahlgren

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1046 posts
  • Minecraft: dahlgren

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

A poster was looking for a way to restart the server every night to clear garbage up.  Doing that with a sevice via a script or small program would be trivial but thought I'd ask:  Do you have that functionality built into YAM?
"Never try to teach a pig to sing.  It wastes your time and annoys the pig."  Lazarus Long

bigolslabomeat

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:35 PM

dahlgren said:

A poster was looking for a way to restart the server every night to clear garbage up.  Doing that with a sevice via a script or small program would be trivial but thought I'd ask:  Do you have that functionality built into YAM?
Not yet, but it's a good idea and easy to implement with what I've already done. When the ui for adding scheduled jobs is done I'll make sure it includes all the restart options already available.

dahlgren
    dahlgren

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1046 posts
  • Minecraft: dahlgren

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

bigolslabomeat said:

dahlgren said:

Not yet, but it's a good idea and easy to implement with what I've already done. When the ui for adding scheduled jobs is done I'll make sure it includes all the restart options already available.

Sweet!  Thanks for the response.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing.  It wastes your time and annoys the pig."  Lazarus Long

bigolslabomeat

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

dahlgren said:

Sweet!  Thanks for the response.

You ninja'd the edit I was about to make, you can do this already!

Using windows scheduled tasks just run "YAMS-updater.exe /restart" whenever you want to.  It's not as safe as the Program's methods which allow restarting per server, checking if no-one is online and restarting after a delay (with time to restart broadcast to all players), but it will do the job.  Restarts the whole service, which tries to gracefully stop any MC servers that are running.

If you're using Win7 or 2008 you'll need to make sure it's set to "Run with highest privileges".

bigolslabomeat

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

Just updated the live branch of YAMS with basic Bukkit support, buttons to render with overviewer and c10t as well as adding the public hosting of these images.

To switch to bukkit, go to the settings tab and choose CraftBukkit in the "Type" dropdown.  You will need to restart your MC Server once you have done it.

To view your renders, go to: http://localhost/servers/1/ (if you are on localhost of course).

This whole public website is the first priority after core features are done.

PotatoHandle

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:05 PM

Is this project still running? Doesn't seem to be getting the love it deserves, it's an excellent idea, Even the pre-release version is really good, I'm trying it out on our private server and the web interface is really handy, and the fact that it's always on and auto restarts is great.

If, on the off-chance there's any more planned updates, I'm happy to share usage info during the pre-release phase, and I'd have a couple of suggestions for future releases. Let us know!

ben10mad
    ben10mad

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:41 AM

why am i banned? :Notch:

ben10mad
    ben10mad

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:44 AM

Hey can u unban me someone else was useing my account when i got banned  :mossystone:

creeperjockey21

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:02 AM

When the most awesome server comes out will there be a white list :Iaxe:

bigolslabomeat

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:40 AM

View PostPotatoHandle, on 06 June 2011 - 11:05 PM, said:

Is this project still running? Doesn't seem to be getting the love it deserves, it's an excellent idea, Even the pre-release version is really good, I'm trying it out on our private server and the web interface is really handy, and the fact that it's always on and auto restarts is great.

If, on the off-chance there's any more planned updates, I'm happy to share usage info during the pre-release phase, and I'd have a couple of suggestions for future releases. Let us know!
Hi there,

Still cracking on, have slowed down a little as I've been working on a few projects on my server (which has been running YAMS without a hitch for months now!).

The next version I'll push to live is detailed on the wiki, one of my favourite features is the crash detection, if Java stops without being requested YAMS will restart it :)

I just need to test the migration between versions works ok, my server runs on the development branch so changes are gradual.  I have a feeling that going straight from version to version may break a few things! Going to run it on a few new servers and see how it goes.

If you enabled automatic updating on your server, you'll get this version as soon as I push it.

PotatoHandle

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:44 PM

View Postbigolslabomeat, on 07 June 2011 - 08:40 AM, said:

Hi there,

Still cracking on, have slowed down a little as I've been working on a few projects on my server (which has been running YAMS without a hitch for months now!).

The next version I'll push to live is detailed on the wiki, one of my favourite features is the crash detection, if Java stops without being requested YAMS will restart it :)

I just need to test the migration between versions works ok, my server runs on the development branch so changes are gradual.  I have a feeling that going straight from version to version may break a few things! Going to run it on a few new servers and see how it goes.

If you enabled automatic updating on your server, you'll get this version as soon as I push it.
Awesome to hear, thankee for the reply!

A couple of (Hopefully) small feature requests if I may be so bold:

- Server load and memory usage monitor. (Unless it's there already, and I'm just looking in the wrong place)
- Will YAMS ever be able to modify the server.properties file, or is that wrapper territory? I'd love to have a UI for modifying that, and being able to schedule changes. (We wanna have "Peaceful Tuesday" on our server, hehe.)
- Being able to change the MOTD.

bigolslabomeat

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:11 AM

View PostPotatoHandle, on 07 June 2011 - 11:44 PM, said:

- Server load and memory usage monitor. (Unless it's there already, and I'm just looking in the wrong place)
This is sort of in there, I had it displaying but for some reason the VM usage never changed but physical memory did.  I do plan on working out why the hell that's happening, and I'll find somewhere on the interface to show it.  The status section needs a little revamp and maybe move all the buttons away from the boring plain browser buttons that are there.  Maybe a WinXP style modal dialog when you press "shutdown" which gives you all those options.

- Will YAMS ever be able to modify the server.properties file, or is that wrapper territory? I'd love to have a UI for modifying that, and being able to schedule changes. (We wanna have "Peaceful Tuesday" on our server, hehe.)
That's the next big thing I need to do, but it's not as fun as making mappers work, which is why I've put it off!  Have started work on it and have even abstracted the available settings so that you don't need to update the whole application when a new MC server comes out, it's just a text file download to get any new configuration options.  Will also be adding in interfaces for editing ops, banned-users and banned-ips etc.  When I started I was going with a more database oriented storage for all of these, but it makes more sense to just read and write the text files that are there.

- Being able to change the MOTD.
That's probably the easiest one to do as it's just in the DB, so will get that one in ASAP.

masta.shak3

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:08 AM

:GoldBar: THIS IS THE PRERELEASE I THOUGHT IT WAS ALREADY OUT

bigolslabomeat

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Updated to 0.2.2
  • [DLL] Support for latest Overviewer (0.1.4) and 32/64-bit detection
  • [WEB] Will not request an update for the consoles if there is already one in place
  • [APP] Update all third party apps to latest
  • [DLL] Outputs from apps go to server's log, not global
  • [ALL] Sane version numbers
  • [DLL] Detect a server crash (i.e. non-safe process exit) and restart
  • [DLL] Copes better if admin port is in use (likely during a service restart)
  • [DLL] Potential support for tectonicus but needs a 3D device on the server
  • [WEB] Add default "admin" username to login screen
  • [DLL] Catch odd date returns in last modified field (coming from Bukkit.org)
  • [WEB] Show VM and RAM usage
  • [WEB] Change MOTD
Next focus will be on improving the public website.

bigolslabomeat

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

Updated:

0.2.3 (current)
  • [DLL] Clears player list on crash
  • [APP] Better handling if Java not installed on setup
  • [WEB] Server page now has some styling, can navigate from home page to individual server pages
  • [WEB] Bukkit checkbox wasn't saving state
  • [DLL] Move configuration files out of ./config folder as a lot of bukkit plugins can't handle this
  • [DLL] Show op users in player list
  • [DLL] Catch and store the game mode (creative/survival)
  • [DLL] Updates to the way files are downloaded from the net and better crash handling in this area
  • [DLL] Allow updating and addition of extra dlls as program expands and for security updates

bigolslabomeat

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

0.3.0 (current)
  • [ALL] Add better handling of exceptions and logging to file (development branch emails errors)
  • [DLL] Opens ports on Windows firewall and closes them when done
  • [DLL] Attempts to port forward using UPnP (depends on router)
  • [WEB] Moving the scroll on any log away from the bottom stops auto-scroll, returning scroll to the bottom resumes auto-scrolling.
  • [DLL] Better handling if YAMS crashes but MC doesn't, will kill old processes left orphaned by a crash
  • [DLL] Updates for overviewer
  • [WEB] Chat tab was not showing messages from console
  • [WEB] Updates for playernames that have underscores and other characters
  • [APP] Shows if port forwards are working
  • [APP] Allows changing of admin and public ports
  • [DLL] Support for pre-release versions downloading, updating and switching between beta and pre
  • [WEB] Change settings in the server.properties